    press "+" to zoom in, then use right mouse button and drag to scroll
    the image. But with the current version, the right mouse button just
    advances to the next image in the folder.

    Bucky, May 16, 2005

  2. Bucky

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 16 May 2005 15:35:34 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Bucky"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for an image viewer that can do this: zoom in and scroll
    >around while in fullscreen mode. The scrolling needs to be fast--like
    >grabbing the image and dragging it around with the mouse, or keyboard
    >arrows that can move the image quickly. Using a mouse to move the image
    >with horizontal and vertical scrollbars is not acceptable.

    I use an older version of ACDSee's PicaView that allows this.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, May 17, 2005

  3. Bucky

    Frederick Guest

    Bucky wrote:

    > I'm looking for an image viewer that can do this: zoom in and scroll
    > around while in fullscreen mode. The scrolling needs to be fast--like
    > grabbing the image and dragging it around with the mouse, or keyboard
    > arrows that can move the image quickly. Using a mouse to move the image
    > with horizontal and vertical scrollbars is not acceptable.
    >
    > IrfanView used to be able to do this in fullscreen mode. You would
    > press "+" to zoom in, then use right mouse button and drag to scroll
    > the image. But with the current version, the right mouse button just
    > advances to the next image in the folder.

    The Gimp allows this.
    Basic functions are:
    "View|Full Screen" to get to full screen view.
    "1" key to get 1:1
    "CTRL|ALT|E" keys to zoom out to fit entire image on screen.
    Arrow keys to scroll across image slow.
    "Shift" + arrow keys to scroll fast.
    Right click anywhere for access to full menus for editing.

    Frederick, May 17, 2005
  4. Bucky

    Bucky Guest

    Frederick wrote:
    > The Gimp allows this.

    Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
    Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
    photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
    see details conveniently.

    Bucky, May 17, 2005
  5. Bucky

    Paul Furman Guest

    Yeah, that would be nice.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 17, 2005
  6. Bucky

    beuzet Guest

    "Bucky" <> wrote in

    I use PMView Pro. It's very fast and will let you zoom in and out
    in a full screen slide show as well as use the arrow keys, page up,
    page down, etc. to move around. If your not in a slide show you
    can still move forward and backward through the pictures in a
    subdirectory while in full screen mode.

    We use it a lot at work to look at TIFF scans of large (36" x 42")
    blue prints. Of everything we tested we found it the easiest and
    fastest.

    There is a 30 day trial version available at www.pmview.com.

    beuzet, May 17, 2005
  7. Bucky

    Frederick Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > Frederick wrote:
    >
    >>The Gimp allows this.

    > Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
    > Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
    > photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
    > see details conveniently.

    As far as I know - no to looping.
    However, it wouldn't surprise me if it can be done via a plugin or script.

    Frederick, May 17, 2005
  8. Bucky

    Paul Furman Guest

    Doh! I use ACDsee for certain things and it does indeed do this. I think
    you are right, this is a good way to do slide shows. Hmm actually it
    would be ideal to be able to jump to 100% view since if you pick too
    small a window, it starts looking crappy. I have a digital projector &
    the resolution is so poor 1024x768 that this would be a good way to show
    each pic then zoom in & examine the detail & pan about.

    PS I use a rather old version 4 of ACD.

    Paul Furman, May 17, 2005
  9. Bucky

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > Frederick wrote:
    >
    >>The Gimp allows this.

    > Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
    > Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
    > photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
    > see details conveniently.

    Just download and install Irfanview. It will do all that, and much
    more, and it is free.
    GIMP is a large, complex, and somewhat cumbersome program with very
    powerful editing ability, and a steep learning curve.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 17, 2005
  10. Bucky

    Bucky Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Hmm actually it
    > would be ideal to be able to jump to 100% view since if you pick too
    > small a window, it starts looking crappy.

    You can do this with IrfanView. You set the zoom step to 100% in the
    options. That way, you just press "+" once to jump to 100% (and 200%,
    300%, etc.).

    Bucky, May 17, 2005
  11. Bucky

    Frederick Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Bucky wrote:
    >
    >> Frederick wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Gimp allows this.

    >> Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
    >> Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
    >> photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
    >> see details conveniently.
    >>

    > Just download and install Irfanview. It will do all that, and much
    > more, and it is free.
    > GIMP is a large, complex, and somewhat cumbersome program with very
    > powerful editing ability, and a steep learning curve.

    It's weird that Gimp is referred to as cumbersome. I doubt that the
    learning curve is greater than for anything else with similar
    capability, and nothing else with similar capability is free.
    However it certainly is overkill for the simple slideshow functionality
    that the OP was looking for.

    Frederick, May 17, 2005
  12. Bucky

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Frederick wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Bucky wrote:

    >>> Thanks. Can it loop through the files in a folder like an image viewer?
    >>> Or do you have to open each one? My typical usage is to show people a
    >>> photo album fullscreen, but I like to be able to zoom in and scroll to
    >>> see details conveniently.
    >>>

    >> Just download and install Irfanview. It will do all that, and much
    >> more, and it is free.
    >> GIMP is a large, complex, and somewhat cumbersome program with very
    >> powerful editing ability, and a steep learning curve.
    >>

    > It's weird that Gimp is referred to as cumbersome. I doubt that the
    > learning curve is greater than for anything else with similar
    > capability, and nothing else with similar capability is free.
    > However it certainly is overkill for the simple slideshow functionality
    > that the OP was looking for.

    I find the 'fragmented' interface of GIMP highly unconventional, and
    difficult to use. Note that my last examination of it was a Windows
    version several years ago. And, yes, any program of this power is going
    to have a steep learning curve, but GIMP is written for a non-Windows
    OS, and the different approach is not a service to Windows users.

    An it is rather like driving a Hummer next door to borrow a cup of sugar
    for the OP's needs.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 17, 2005
  13. Bucky

    Guest

    "Bucky" <> wrote in

    I use PMView Pro. It's very fast and will let you zoom in and out
    in a full screen slide show as well as use the arrow keys, page up,
    page down, etc. to move around. If your not in a slide show you
    can still move forward and backward through the pictures in a
    subdirectory while in full screen mode.

    We use it a lot at work to look at TIFF scans of large (36" x 42")
    blue prints. Of everything we tested we found it the easiest and
    fastest.

    Th

    ere is a 30 day trial version available at www.pmview.com.

    PMView does not support RAW which could be a disadvantage these days
    DonB

    , May 17, 2005
  14. Bucky

    Frederick Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Frederick wrote:
    >
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Just download and install Irfanview. It will do all that, and much
    >>> more, and it is free.
    >>> GIMP is a large, complex, and somewhat cumbersome program with very
    >>> powerful editing ability, and a steep learning curve.
    >>>

    >> It's weird that Gimp is referred to as cumbersome. I doubt that the
    >> learning curve is greater than for anything else with similar
    >> capability, and nothing else with similar capability is free.
    >> However it certainly is overkill for the simple slideshow
    >> functionality that the OP was looking for.

    > I find the 'fragmented' interface of GIMP highly unconventional, and
    > difficult to use. Note that my last examination of it was a Windows
    > version several years ago. And, yes, any program of this power is going
    > to have a steep learning curve, but GIMP is written for a non-Windows
    > OS, and the different approach is not a service to Windows users.
    >
    > An it is rather like driving a Hummer next door to borrow a cup of sugar
    > for the OP's needs.

    The multi-window interface can take some getting used to. There is a
    plug-in for the windows version (IIRC called "Windows Deweirdifier")
    that puts all windows in one. Another plug-in is windows file open -
    which adds a menu item allowing use of windows file open and file save
    dialog boxes instead of the Unix style dialog boxes which are standard.

    My experience was that the first windows versions were not particularly
    stable - some of the plug-ins in particular were prone to crash. The
    new version (2.2) seems good - in XP. The Raw file tool (UFRaw) works
    well both as a Gimp plug-in, or stand alone.

    I think that the "cumbersome" reputation of Gimp can be at least partly
    attributed to experiences that people have had using it with Linux - and
    particularly with early versions of Red Hat and other popular
    disributions, with early versions of Gnome and other window managers.
    There was a general lack of consistency in window and other GUI tool
    behaviour, a lot of bugginess, and an unfortunate need for the user to
    have to resort to the command line to configure things. Newer
    distributions (I have been using Xandros) use a non-buggy interface that
    is clean, consistent and would involve practically no learning curve if
    migrating from Windows or Mac.

    There is a limitation with Gimp - it can handle 8 bit per pixel Tiffs,
    when you can output 16 bit Tiffs from Raw files. I have done no test to
    see if this is significant, but expect that if pushed, then PS is going
    to offer some advantage. That said, I expect that a user who needs to
    make large changes to colour balance would probably do this via their
    raw file converter, and only make minor colour balance changes etc using PS.

    Frederick, May 17, 2005
  15. Bucky

    Chris Luck Guest

    "Bucky" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for an image viewer that can do this: zoom in and scroll
    > around while in fullscreen mode. The scrolling needs to be fast--like
    > grabbing the image and dragging it around with the mouse, or keyboard
    > arrows that can move the image quickly. Using a mouse to move the image
    > with horizontal and vertical scrollbars is not acceptable.
    >
    > IrfanView used to be able to do this in fullscreen mode. You would
    > press "+" to zoom in, then use right mouse button and drag to scroll
    > the image. But with the current version, the right mouse button just
    > advances to the next image in the folder.

    I'm using the current 3.97 version of IrfanView and full-screen scrolling
    with the arrow keys behaves exactly as you specify. What's the problem?

    --
    Regards,
    Chris Luck

    Chris Luck, May 17, 2005
  16. Bucky

    Bucky Guest

    Chris Luck wrote:
    > I'm using the current 3.97 version of IrfanView and full-screen

    scrolling
    > with the arrow keys behaves exactly as you specify. What's the

    problem?

    In fullscreen mode, when I zoom in and then click on the right mouse
    button, it advances to the next image in the folder. Is there some
    option/property that you have to set?

    Bucky, May 18, 2005
  17. Bucky

    Chris Luck Guest

    "Bucky" <> wrote in message
    > In fullscreen mode, when I zoom in and then click on the right mouse
    > button, it advances to the next image in the folder. Is there some
    > option/property that you have to set?

    No, not the mouse - use the keyboard.

    You wrote :
    > The scrolling needs to be fast--like grabbing the image and
    > dragging it around with the mouse, or *keyboard arrows* that
    > can move the image quickly.

    If the arrow keys don't move it fast enough then use PageUp/Down and
    Home/End.

    --
    Regards,
    Chris Luck

    Chris Luck, May 18, 2005
  18. Bucky

    Bucky Guest

    Chris Luck wrote:
    > No, not the mouse - use the keyboard.
    > If the arrow keys don't move it fast enough then use PageUp/Down and
    > Home/End.

    Cool, good enough for me, thanks! I had to uncheck "Jump always to next
    image if page up/page down key pressed".

    Bucky, May 18, 2005
  19. Bucky

    Paul Furman Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >>Hmm actually it
    >>would be ideal to be able to jump to 100% view since if you pick too
    >>small a window, it starts looking crappy.

    > You can do this with IrfanView. You set the zoom step to 100% in the
    > options. That way, you just press "+" once to jump to 100% (and 200%,
    > 300%, etc.).

    Well that didn't really work right but while exploring I found that you
    can show the EXIF shooting data in full screen mode and set a custom
    format. For my Nikon this works well:
    $F $E33434 f/$E33437 $E37378 ISO:$E2 EC:$E37380 $E37386

    Irfan does have a magic ability to jump to 100% if I pick a zoom window
    even vaguely the right size but as mentioned it unfortunately no longer
    allows panning without the scroll bars.

    Paul Furman, May 18, 2005
  20. Bucky

    Paul Furman Guest

    Chris Luck wrote:

    > "Bucky" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In fullscreen mode, when I zoom in and then click on the right mouse
    >>button, it advances to the next image in the folder. Is there some
    >>option/property that you have to set?

    > No, not the mouse - use the keyboard.
    >
    > You wrote :
    >
    >>The scrolling needs to be fast--like grabbing the image and
    >>dragging it around with the mouse, or *keyboard arrows* that
    >>can move the image quickly.

    > If the arrow keys don't move it fast enough then use PageUp/Down and
    > Home/End.

    Some modes do some of this but none have it all quite right.

    ACDsee does indeed perform the requested operations nicely. I just
    figured out two taps on the + key gets me to 100% zoom then I can pan
    around with the mouse (maybe more + taps for different screen resolutions).

    Paul Furman, May 18, 2005