Image Tank versus used Laptop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Lillycrop, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I
    have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB
    card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
    decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
    same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
    and 10 GB hard drive.

    I realise the Image Tank would be a lot smaller, lighter and easier to
    carry, but the Laptop would allow me to process the images in the
    evening and to get a view on how the camera is working. Also, I could
    transfer the images directly to the Laptop via the USB.

    1) Has anyone else considered the two options and if so I would greatly
    appreciate any feedback.

    2) Are there any other items similar to the Image Tank out there? I see
    the Digital Wallet is no longer being made.

    3) One of the advantages I liked with the Laptop, was that I could plug
    my camera directly into the Laptop without having to remove the card. I
    was concerned with this continuous removing the card from the camera
    every day, if this was going to wear out or affect the connection
    between the card and the camera. We had a card damaged a work when it
    was removed from the camera.

    Thank you.

    Bill Lillycrop, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Bill Lillycrop

    Arthur Small Guest

    I have been using the IT (original & G2) for the past four years and have
    never lost an image. Just added the Addonics MFR as a back up. Still between
    these two less to carry than a lap top. I copy my days shoot to the IT & the
    MFR. In most countries around the work I have connected the MFR to a TV to
    view my days shoot as I can display both NTSC & PAL.

    If you don't mind carrying a laptop that is not a bad way to go.

    Arthur Small, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Bill Lillycrop

    bill Guest

    Bill Lillycrop wrote:

    > I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I
    > have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB
    > card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
    > decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
    > same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
    > and 10 GB hard drive.
    >
    > I realise the Image Tank would be a lot smaller, lighter and easier to
    > carry, but the Laptop would allow me to process the images in the
    > evening and to get a view on how the camera is working. Also, I could
    > transfer the images directly to the Laptop via the USB.
    >
    > 1) Has anyone else considered the two options and if so I would greatly
    > appreciate any feedback.
    >
    > 2) Are there any other items similar to the Image Tank out there? I see
    > the Digital Wallet is no longer being made.
    >
    > 3) One of the advantages I liked with the Laptop, was that I could plug
    > my camera directly into the Laptop without having to remove the card. I
    > was concerned with this continuous removing the card from the camera
    > every day, if this was going to wear out or affect the connection
    > between the card and the camera. We had a card damaged a work when it
    > was removed from the camera.

    There are many storage devices. I'm collecting information myself
    so I can't give any opinions as to the best. Some manufacturers:
    Tripper USB
    Delkin Devices
    Kingston
    Nixvue
    SmartDisk
    X'S Drive

    Personally, I would prefer to carry a storage device than a laptop.
    Mainly because my laptop is too big to lug around. Also, being
    on holiday, I wouldn't want to spend my nights working on
    processing images. With used burner you never know the
    quality of the burner, though you would have the hard drive
    as secondary storage in addition to the burned CD.

    I haven't heard of any problems wearing out connectors. No matter
    what, you should take care in inserting/removing CF cards. With
    that logic, would you not worry about wearing out connectors on
    the camera?

    As to being able to review your images, arthur's idea of
    connecting to a TV is one solution, though the resolution is low.

    If you decide to burn CD's, buy high quality media and
    burn twice.

    bill, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Bill Lillycrop

    Mike Jenkins Guest

    I recently took a short trip with my canon 10D and a laptop. I have C1
    loaded into the laptop. After a day of shooting, the first thing I did was
    burn the RAW images directly from the card reader to a cd. My digital negs.
    Then, if you have time, open up your RAW conversion program and play with
    your images. Then, re-format your cf card, and head out the next day.

    Mike Jenkins, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Bill Lillycrop

    bill Guest

    Bill Lillycrop wrote:

    > 2) Are there any other items similar to the Image Tank out there? I see
    > the Digital Wallet is no longer being made.

    Here's a page that I found:
    http://fhoude34.free.fr/PortableHD.htm

    bill, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Bill Lillycrop <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I
    > have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB
    > card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
    > decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
    > same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
    > and 10 GB hard drive.
    >
    > I realise the Image Tank would be a lot smaller, lighter and easier to
    > carry, but the Laptop would allow me to process the images in the
    > evening and to get a view on how the camera is working. Also, I could
    > transfer the images directly to the Laptop via the USB.
    >
    > 1) Has anyone else considered the two options and if so I would greatly
    > appreciate any feedback.

    Don't forget option 3: 4GB Microdrives are selling for under $200.

    > 2) Are there any other items similar to the Image Tank out there? I see
    > the Digital Wallet is no longer being made.

    Lots. Most function as USB2 multi-card readers and ext hard drives
    too. It's a nice addition to a laptop or destop since you'll never
    even have to transfer images to your computer given a big enough hard
    drive.

    > 3) One of the advantages I liked with the Laptop, was that I could plug
    > my camera directly into the Laptop without having to remove the card. I
    > was concerned with this continuous removing the card from the camera
    > every day, if this was going to wear out or affect the connection
    > between the card and the camera. We had a card damaged a work when it
    > was removed from the camera.

    You might wear out the USB/firewire connection too.

    Georgette Preddy, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Bill Lillycrop

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <YIHwc.23518$>,
    Mike Jenkins <> wrote:
    >I recently took a short trip with my canon 10D and a laptop. I have C1
    >loaded into the laptop. After a day of shooting, the first thing I did was
    >burn the RAW images directly from the card reader to a cd. My digital negs.
    >Then, if you have time, open up your RAW conversion program and play with
    >your images. Then, re-format your cf card, and head out the next day.

    Plan on an old laptop having a battery that's useless. You'll have to
    use the power plug when you're burning.

    Get a PCMCIA CF adapter card for the laptop. That wil transfer files
    at IDE-speeds.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Bill Lillycrop <> writes:

    > I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I
    > have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB
    > card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
    > decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
    > same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
    > and 10 GB hard drive.

    My issue is, what do I do with the storage device when I'm not on the road?
    And what do I do when I'm on the road and I'm not out doing something? With
    a laptop, I have a device I can use every day for anything I can use a
    computer for. (duh) And when I'm on the road, I can edit images when I'm
    not otherwise engaged (during travel time, during rainy days, during the
    evenings before bed when TV sucks).

    Often stores in my area offer CDs for some amount of money with a mail-in
    rebate for the entire purchase price; all I end up paying is the sales tax
    plus the cost of a stamp.

    Another person has mentioned that batteries in laptops eventually fail --
    true. Buy a back up, and if one eventually won't hold a charge, see what it
    would cost to have it rebuilt at
    http://www.primecell.com/

    I've had a couple of batteries rebuilt there which brought them back to
    'new' capacity for less cost than a new one.

    >SNIP<
    > 3) One of the advantages I liked with the Laptop, was that I could plug
    > my camera directly into the Laptop without having to remove the card. I
    > was concerned with this continuous removing the card from the camera
    > every day, if this was going to wear out or affect the connection
    > between the card and the camera. We had a card damaged a work when it
    > was removed from the camera.

    I think this is carelessness on the part of the operator. You are as likely
    to damage the firewire or USB connection as the card. (By the way, get
    another card or two. One really isn't enough on trips. And be sure your
    computer has a CF recovery program on it -- eventually the card will get
    some file on it that it doesn't like, and you won't be able to access the
    card directly -- another advantage of a laptop.)

    Phil Stripling, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Bill Lillycrop

    Lisa Horton Guest

    I was going to make my own reply, but my feelings are so similar to
    Phil's, I'm piggybacking.

    Phil Stripling wrote:

    > Bill Lillycrop <> writes:
    >
    > > I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I
    > > have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB
    > > card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
    > > decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
    > > same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
    > > and 10 GB hard drive.

    > My issue is, what do I do with the storage device when I'm not on the road?
    > And what do I do when I'm on the road and I'm not out doing something? With
    > a laptop, I have a device I can use every day for anything I can use a
    > computer for. (duh) And when I'm on the road, I can edit images when I'm
    > not otherwise engaged (during travel time, during rainy days, during the
    > evenings before bed when TV sucks).

    Hotel televisions seem to all come from one certain factory that
    produces new TV's that perform like old TV's... With a laptop, as long
    as it has a DVD reader, you can play movies. Bring good headphones! You
    can check email, read newsgroups. More useful, you can start weeding
    out your culls while still on the road, you can see how your pictures
    are turning out so if you need to change your technique or reshoot
    something, you can.

    > Often stores in my area offer CDs for some amount of money with a mail-in
    > rebate for the entire purchase price; all I end up paying is the sales tax
    > plus the cost of a stamp.
    >
    > Another person has mentioned that batteries in laptops eventually fail --
    > true. Buy a back up, and if one eventually won't hold a charge, see what it
    > would cost to have it rebuilt at
    > http://www.primecell.com/
    >
    > I've had a couple of batteries rebuilt there which brought them back to
    > 'new' capacity for less cost than a new one.
    >
    > >SNIP<
    > > 3) One of the advantages I liked with the Laptop, was that I could plug
    > > my camera directly into the Laptop without having to remove the card. I
    > > was concerned with this continuous removing the card from the camera
    > > every day, if this was going to wear out or affect the connection
    > > between the card and the camera. We had a card damaged a work when it
    > > was removed from the camera.

    > I think this is carelessness on the part of the operator. You are as likely
    > to damage the firewire or USB connection as the card. (By the way, get
    > another card or two. One really isn't enough on trips. And be sure your
    > computer has a CF recovery program on it -- eventually the card will get
    > some file on it that it doesn't like, and you won't be able to access the
    > card directly -- another advantage of a laptop.)

    Agreed again, with normal careful use, it's unlikely you'll damage a
    card taking it in and out. More likely you'll wear the CF connector in
    the camera unnecessarily. Besides, a card reader is faster than
    connecting the camera, and a CF to PC card adaptor is faster yet. And
    if you can find a laptop with a CF card slot built in, that may be even
    faster yet.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Bill Lillycrop

    Arthur Small Guest

    Different strokes for different folks. Usually when on a overseas tour there
    is time in the evening to copy or burn your images. I start the process and
    then go of and do some thing else. I have even been known to read in bed
    before going to sleep while the images are burning. Some times with a one
    gig CF card full I can even take a shower while the CD burns.
    It is all a matter of managed time.

    Arthur Small, Jun 6, 2004
  11. Bill Lillycrop

    jean Guest

    Re: Image Tank versus used Laptop (side branch on USB2 for IT-G2)

    Small side question, does your Image Tank G2 work at USB2 speed? Does it
    need anything "special" to work faster on a USB2 port?

    Jean

    jean, Jun 6, 2004
  12. Re: Image Tank versus used Laptop (side branch on USB2 for IT-G2)

    No, I would say more like USB 1.1

    Pierre

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:33:40 -0400, "jean" <look_for@my_email.org>
    wrote:

    >Small side question, does your Image Tank G2 work at USB2 speed? Does it
    >need anything "special" to work faster on a USB2 port?
    >
    >Jean
    >"Arthur Small" <> a écrit dans le message de
    >> I have been using the IT (original & G2) for the past four years and have
    >> never lost an image. Just added the Addonics MFR as a back up. Still

    >between
    >> these two less to carry than a lap top. I copy my days shoot to the IT &

    >the
    >> MFR. In most countries around the work I have connected the MFR to a TV to
    >> view my days shoot as I can display both NTSC & PAL.
    >>
    >> If you don't mind carrying a laptop that is not a bad way to go.

    Spam Protection: Please remove the words "NOSPAM" and "REMOVE" from my email address in the "Email To" window of your program
    if you want me to receive an e-mail version of your answer. Thanks.

    Pierre Bellavance, Jun 7, 2004
  13. Bill Lillycrop

    Patrick Guest

    Went to a 2nd hand laptop dealer asking for the strongest thing. Left with a
    Toshiba Satelite. Still working after a 1 year trip in Europe with 2 young
    kids. It is scatched and ugly but did the job fine.
    If you can afford the weight/size I would take a laptop.

    Patrick.

    Patrick, Jun 7, 2004
  14. Bill Lillycrop

    Arthur Small Guest

    Re: Image Tank versus used Laptop (side branch on USB2 for IT-G2)

    The G2 is USB compliant.

    Arthur Small, Jun 7, 2004
  15. Bill Lillycrop

    jean Guest

    Re: Image Tank versus used Laptop (side branch on USB2 for IT-G2)

    I know, it is supposed to be USB2 but it transfers at USB1 speeds (well at
    least mine does). That is why I asked someone else if their unit was moving
    files faster than mine was.

    jean, Jun 7, 2004
  16. Bill Lillycrop <> writes:

    > I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem
    > I have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512
    > MB card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
    > decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
    > same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
    > and 10 GB hard drive.
    >
    > I realise the Image Tank would be a lot smaller, lighter and easier to
    > carry, but the Laptop would allow me to process the images in the
    > evening and to get a view on how the camera is working. Also, I could
    > transfer the images directly to the Laptop via the USB.
    >
    > 1) Has anyone else considered the two options and if so I would
    > greatly appreciate any feedback.

    I wouldn't trust my images to only one copy on a magnetic disk, so I'd
    need *two* image tanks as a minimum. The laptop plus CD burner is a
    *much* better option in my opinion, though as you say it's heavier and
    larger. I'm currently using an Iomega Fotoshow, which will transfer
    my compact-flash cards to 250MB zip disks (so I've limited myself to
    256MB cards for now; I can alwasy find a few pictures to delete if I
    actually filled one 100.00%). AFter transferring to *two* zip disks,
    I'll reformat and reuse the card.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 7, 2004
  17. Bill Lillycrop

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    Re: Image Tank versus used Laptop (side branch on USB2 for IT-G2)

    USB2 systems will 'fall back' to 1.1 IF the receiving device fails to
    identify itself properly. This could be your USB 'card' (whether separate or
    on the MB) or the driver.

    Though HP claimed USB2, none of the devices would 'fly' - my Toshiba does!
    So, blame the receiving port first ... eh?

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:35:00 -0400, "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> found
    these unused words floating about:

    J. A. Mc., Jun 7, 2004
  18. Bill Lillycrop

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    They're a bloody workhorse. Mine rides (lightly strapped down) in an OR 4x4
    when desert crawling.

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:43:06 +1000, "Patrick" <No e-mail thanks> found these

    J. A. Mc., Jun 7, 2004
  19. Bill Lillycrop

    Ed E. Guest

    If you want to be extra safe, go the laptop route and make a second backup
    to CD's (leave the originals on the laptop). My Tripper 40GB just died on
    me a couple of weekends ago (harddrive went bad.) I lost everything on it,
    and it gave no warnings that it was about to puke.

    Ed E., Jun 7, 2004
  20. Bill Lillycrop

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    J. A. Mc. <> wrote:
    >They're a bloody workhorse. Mine rides (lightly strapped down) in an OR 4x4
    >when desert crawling.
    >

    >On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:43:06 +1000, "Patrick" <No e-mail thanks> found these
    >unused words floating about:
    >
    >>Went to a 2nd hand laptop dealer asking for the strongest thing. Left with a
    >>Toshiba Satelite. Still working after a 1 year trip in Europe with 2 young
    >>kids. It is scatched and ugly but did the job fine.
    >>If you can afford the weight/size I would take a laptop.
    >>
    >>Patrick.
    >>
    >>"Bill Lillycrop" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I
    >>> have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB
    >>> card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
    >>> decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
    >>> same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
    >>> and 10 GB hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> I realise the Image Tank would be a lot smaller, lighter and easier to
    >>> carry, but the Laptop would allow me to process the images in the
    >>> evening and to get a view on how the camera is working. Also, I could
    >>> transfer the images directly to the Laptop via the USB.
    >>>
    >>> 1) Has anyone else considered the two options and if so I would greatly
    >>> appreciate any feedback.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Are there any other items similar to the Image Tank out there? I see
    >>> the Digital Wallet is no longer being made.
    >>>
    >>> 3) One of the advantages I liked with the Laptop, was that I could plug
    >>> my camera directly into the Laptop without having to remove the card. I
    >>> was concerned with this continuous removing the card from the camera
    >>> every day, if this was going to wear out or affect the connection
    >>> between the card and the camera. We had a card damaged a work when it
    >>> was removed from the camera.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    Take a look at a used (or new) Panasonic ToughBook

    Example:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42205&
    item=3484851515&rd=1

    These were purchased in quantity by police departments and mounted in
    vehicles. I'm told the military bought them until recently. The
    internal parts were shock mounted and the exterior and kbd is water
    resistant.

    There are all sorts of models. The older ones were small, had a 10
    inch screen. Originally ran w/95. These things have become a cult
    item for field technicians and run Linux great. They have a handle and
    look a little like the kid's lunchbox. This is a little OT because
    I've never seen an old one with a CD burner in it. It's also never
    going to run Photoshop ;-( You might be able to fit a 30GB disk in
    it and run Win/98 and Irafanview and delete the junk shots as you go.

    There are lots of models, do some reading of the fan sites before you
    buy. The CF-71 looks fast enough to be interesting.

    --
    Al Dykes

    Al Dykes, Jun 7, 2004