Image tank / digital wallet options

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JC Dill, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop,
    but I need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF
    cards, and I shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm
    shooting action shots I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
    be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
    tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
    shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the next swap.

    I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's
    done moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit
    where the user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when
    needed. (Where are the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or
    Adorama.)

    I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following
    items:

    Delkin Devices eFilm Picture Pad - Visual Storage Bank
    (30 GB - $420 @ Adorama)

    SmartDisk FTX40 FlashTrax Portable HD & MP3 Player W/3.5" LCD Screen
    (40 GB - $490 @ Adorama, 20 GB - $400 @ Adorama)

    Adorama SDB - Super Digibin Hard Drive. Internal Rechargeable battery,
    Built-in compact flash/micro drive slot, USB interface
    (60 GB - $400 @ Adorama)

    MindStor Digital Wallet Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit
    (30 GB - $400 @ B&H)

    Jobo Image Tank G2 Digital Storage, with Built-in Rechargeable Battery
    (20 GB - $330 @ Adorama)

    Nixvue Digital Album - Portable Hard Drive Disk Storage
    (30 GB - $330 @ B&H or Adorama)

    MediaGear Flash HD to Go Portable Hard Drive with Flash Memory Slots
    (60 GB - $300 @ Adorama)

    Wolverine SixPac Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit & Media Reader
    (60 GB - $280 @ B&H)

    Micro Solutions RoadStor Portable 24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive & Card Reader
    ($270 @ B&H)

    In particular, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has used the
    Wolverine (60 GB of storage for $280 sounds good!) or the Adorama SDB
    with the built-in battery recharger.

    Thanks!

    jc

    JC Dill, Aug 6, 2004

  2. JC Dill

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Aug 6, 2004

  3. JC Dill

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: JC Dill
    >
    >I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort.
    >
    >I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following
    >items:
    >
    >Nixvue Digital Album - Portable Hard Drive Disk Storage
    >(30 GB - $330 @ B&H or Adorama)

    Can't help you with the others, but I've been using a Nixvue DA Lite 60 GB for
    a while, which I like and dislike for various reasons mentioned below. The
    Lite doesn't have the preview screen, which I think is only useful if you're
    shooting jpegs anyway and since I always shoot RAW I don't need it.

    Dislike the wimpy battery since it will only download about four 1 GB CF cards
    before running low on power. Now I only use it with the power supply plugged
    in.

    Dislike the download speed, which appears to be USB 1.1 since it takes around
    15 minutes to download a 1 GB card. Too slow, waaaay too slow.

    Dislike the high cost, but then I needed 60 GB for long trips since my wife and
    I shoot RAW with two Canon 1D Mark II's and a 1Ds so we fill up cards fast,
    especially with the 8 frame/sec Mark II's.

    Dislike how it runs very hot when transferring large files or folders via the
    USB to/from the computer. I wonder about the long-term reliability of this
    unit.

    Dislike the instruction booklet, which is for the non-Lite model, leaving you
    to guess at some of the functions :)

    Like how compact it is, I travel with it in my photo jacket pocket.

    Like the high capacity ... we just returned from a week in Alaska and shot
    almost 20 GB of images (would have shot more but the weather was bad 3 days)
    and the Nixvue was fine with that.

    Like the fast transfer speed via USB 2 cable when used to move files to/from a
    laptop. 913 MB transfers from the Nixvue to the laptop in 1:12 or about 12.7
    MB/sec and from the laptop to the Nixvue in 1:19 or 11.6 MB/sec, which is
    pretty good.

    Basically I use it as a backup to the laptop when travelling, downloading CF
    cards to the laptop at USB 2 speeds and doing a quick sort of the rejects on
    the laptop with Capture One, then copying the folders to the Nixvue as a
    precaution. It's easier to do this than to write off CD-R's for those of us
    who don't trust having only one place to store images.

    I'll be taking the Nixvue on a more rugged camping trip to Katmai in September
    for bear photography and won't have the laptop with me, so will try to keep the
    images on both the CF cards (12 GB should hopefully do it), using the Nixvue as
    a backup (we'll have a generator in camp so I won't have to worry about
    batteries).

    >I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
    >be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
    >tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
    >shooting

    My advice is to try to find a device that is faster than USB 1.1 so it won't
    take 15 minutes for your 1 GB cards to download, and to look for something with
    more battery power than the Nixvue, though there was an optional battery pack
    than runs on AA's. The Nixvue is OK power-wise for a few cards but dies off
    too quickly for my tastes.

    Let us know what you decide, I'm sure a lot of people are interested in this
    type of solution.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 6, 2004
  4. JC Dill

    Philip Guest

    I have just bought an X Drive Pro 20gig for this purpose.
    I saw it on the QVC home shopping chanel ( www.qvc.uk.com ) here in the U.K
    & bought one.
    I'm afraid that i don't know of any retail outlets for this device.

    Phil.

    Philip, Aug 6, 2004
  5. JC Dill <> writes:

    > I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop, but I
    > need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF cards, and I
    > shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm shooting action shots I
    > can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to be able to swap the full card
    > with the empty one, and have the image tank / digital wallet copy the images
    > off of the full card while I'm shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the
    > next swap.
    >
    > I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's done
    > moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit where the
    > user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when needed. (Where are
    > the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or Adorama.)

    From the picture, the Wolverine is probably a relabled x-drive II clone. I
    suspect all of the devices shut themselves off if you aren't using them. My
    x-drive II certainly does.

    You can get x-drive's at insidecomputer.com (where I got mine), and
    mydigitaldiscount.com. My digitaldicount.com has a new device I've seen a lot
    of good buzz on (CompactDrive) which is evidently very fast.

    > I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following items:
    >
    > Delkin Devices eFilm Picture Pad - Visual Storage Bank
    > (30 GB - $420 @ Adorama)
    >
    > SmartDisk FTX40 FlashTrax Portable HD & MP3 Player W/3.5" LCD Screen
    > (40 GB - $490 @ Adorama, 20 GB - $400 @ Adorama)
    >
    > Adorama SDB - Super Digibin Hard Drive. Internal Rechargeable battery, Built-in
    > compact flash/micro drive slot, USB interface
    > (60 GB - $400 @ Adorama)
    >
    > MindStor Digital Wallet Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit
    > (30 GB - $400 @ B&H)

    Stay away from this one. Minds at Work went out of business last year, so I
    imagine B&H is just selling existing stock.

    > Jobo Image Tank G2 Digital Storage, with Built-in Rechargeable Battery
    > (20 GB - $330 @ Adorama)
    >
    > Nixvue Digital Album - Portable Hard Drive Disk Storage
    > (30 GB - $330 @ B&H or Adorama)
    >
    > MediaGear Flash HD to Go Portable Hard Drive with Flash Memory Slots
    > (60 GB - $300 @ Adorama)
    >
    > Wolverine SixPac Stand-Alone Data Storage Unit & Media Reader
    > (60 GB - $280 @ B&H)

    If wolverine is really an x-drive II, the copy times from a media card to the
    unit are fairly slow (twice as slow as my old Image Bank), and the battery
    doesn't last all that long (in my case, copying 12 128-megabyte SM cards). I
    just bought an external battery pack for it to make it last longer during the
    day. It also doesn't have a verify function if that is important to you.

    > Micro Solutions RoadStor Portable 24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive & Card Reader
    > ($270 @ B&H)

    Note for 1 gig cards, you are going to have to write 2 CDs. While I think CD
    writers are safer in case of accidents, I think they are not as conveinent to
    use during a shooting day, since they are larger, and you need to bring CD
    blanks.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 7, 2004
  6. JC Dill

    Sante Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:58:49 GMT, JC Dill
    <> wrote:

    >I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop,
    >but I need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF
    >cards, and I shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm
    >shooting action shots I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
    >be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
    >tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
    >shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the next swap.
    >
    >I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's
    >done moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit
    >where the user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when
    >needed. (Where are the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or
    >Adorama.)

    X-drive pro at :

    http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/

    Sante

    My first camera : Kodak Instamatic 277X

    Sante, Aug 7, 2004
  7. JC Dill

    Tony H Guest

    JC Dill <> wrote:

    >I need an image tank / digital wallet of some sort. I have a laptop,
    >but I need something I can have on me in the field. I have 2 1 GB CF
    >cards, and I shot in Raw which gets ~140 shots per card. When I'm
    >shooting action shots I can fill up a card in an hour and so I need to
    >be able to swap the full card with the empty one, and have the image
    >tank / digital wallet copy the images off of the full card while I'm
    >shooting, so that it's empty and ready for the next swap.
    >
    >I need a unit that automatically shuts down or suspends itself when it's
    >done moving the images (to save on battery life). I'd also like a unit
    >where the user can swap the hard drive for a larger one later, when
    >needed. (Where are the X-Drives? I can't find them on either B&H or
    >Adorama.)
    >
    >I'd love feedback from people who own or have used any of the following
    >items:
    >
    >Delkin Devices eFilm Picture Pad - Visual Storage Bank
    >(30 GB - $420 @ Adorama)
    >
    >SmartDisk FTX40 FlashTrax Portable HD & MP3 Player W/3.5" LCD Screen
    >(40 GB - $490 @ Adorama, 20 GB - $400 @ Adorama)

    JC

    I have a clone of the SmartDisk FlashTrax, called Phototainer. Same
    device but different badge.

    I've found it very useful and easy to use - just plug in a Cf card and
    it wakes up and copies automatically, then shuts down its hard drive
    on completion. I don't think the hard drive is upgradeable though, but
    they now do a 60Gb version I believe. Copying a full 1 Gb CF disk
    takes about 20 minutes.

    The 3.5" screen is adequate for reviewing shots, but it's not of great
    quality - lower resolution & contrast than most camera back displays,
    but still useful. What really surprised me though, was that it found
    the JPGs that are embedded within my Pentax *istD's RAW files and
    happily displayed these - something that my various PC browsers can't
    do!

    Cheers
    TonyH

    Tony H, Aug 13, 2004