    it in the past when only away for a week, but this time I know I will need
    to dump images onto something or buy more cards. Any thoughts on the best
    approach (I don't have a laptop)?

    Brian Caldersmith, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Brian Caldersmith

    Bud Guest

    "Brian Caldersmith" <> wrote in message
    news:4080c3a3$0$436$...
    > As I am about to take two weeks holiday next month, I am looking at the
    > options for storing the shots from my Olympus C750. The 256 card has

    handled
    > it in the past when only away for a week, but this time I know I will need
    > to dump images onto something or buy more cards. Any thoughts on the best
    > approach (I don't have a laptop)?

    Best option: Buy larger storage cards as you will always have them. Or you
    can try your luck as you go - a lot of photolabs have the ability to copy
    the data on your card to a CD-R thus freeing you of having to buy the larger
    cards. Problem is not all do this.

    One way I have done it in the past where I cant find a Photo Lab at a
    reasonable price, is taken my camera, a new set of batteries and the USB
    cable into a few PC stores & asked them to burn the data for me. The cost is
    usually just the cost of a blank CD-R and maybe $5 or $10 as a thanks (You
    often see the $ get put in the wallet as you leave - I dont care provided I
    get my images on CD lol). I have actually had almost a 100% success rate in
    asking at net-cafe's or gaming lounges, and it's not the first time many of
    them say they have been asked.

    Bud

    Bud, Apr 17, 2004

  3. You can buy an "image tank". That's a small device about the size a a
    walkman with a laptop harddrive in it. It works as a memory card reader and
    you can transfer your data into it. It works on 110/230 V or on internal
    battery (for 1,5 hours, enough to transfer a huge number of cards). When
    you're back home, you use it as a usb harddrive, plus a memory card reader.

    I bought a Vosonic X-Drive II and put a 40 Gb hardrive into it. I'm just
    coming back from 10 days in Sri-Lanka. I made more than 800 6,3 Mp pictures,
    all stored in this device. Worked perfectly.

    I know there are other brands (Image tank G2 for example) and also devices
    with a LCD screen so that you can view you stored pictures, but they are
    more expensive.

    Greetings.

    Pierre.

    Pierre Gilles, Apr 17, 2004
  4. Brian Caldersmith

    Bud Guest

    "Pierre Gilles" <> wrote in message
    > You can buy an "image tank". That's a small device about the size a a
    > walkman with a laptop harddrive in it. It works as a memory card reader

    and
    > you can transfer your data into it. It works on 110/230 V or on internal
    > battery (for 1,5 hours, enough to transfer a huge number of cards). When
    > you're back home, you use it as a usb harddrive, plus a memory card

    reader.

    I might have to investigate this myself. Going to Port Macquarie later this
    year for the yearly holiday and the 12.3MP piccies (even 6.3MP) from the
    S7000 do add up very quickly, plus there's always the video I end up taking
    on the camera as well. Pity the current ones do not handle the XD cards, but
    they will soon I bet

    Bud

    Bud, Apr 17, 2004
  5. Brian Caldersmith

    Steve Guest

    Hi Pierre,

    You mentioned you put a 40 Gb harddrive in. Does that mean the Vosonic's
    only come with a 20? Also, was it plug compatible with laptop harddrives or
    was some rewiring required. Thanks.

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 17, 2004
  6. "Bud" <> wrote in message

    > "Pierre Gilles" <> wrote in

    message
    > > You can buy an "image tank". That's a small device about the size

    a a
    > > walkman with a laptop harddrive in it. It works as a memory card

    reader
    > and
    > > you can transfer your data into it. It works on 110/230 V or on

    internal
    > > battery (for 1,5 hours, enough to transfer a huge number of

    cards). When
    > > you're back home, you use it as a usb harddrive, plus a memory

    card
    > reader.
    >
    > I might have to investigate this myself. Going to Port Macquarie

    later this
    > year for the yearly holiday and the 12.3MP piccies (even 6.3MP) from

    the
    > S7000 do add up very quickly, plus there's always the video I end up

    taking
    > on the camera as well. Pity the current ones do not handle the XD

    cards, but
    > they will soon I bet
    >
    > Bud

    There is an XD to SM adapter available. Any device that reads SM
    cards, such as the Xs-Drive II will work fine for you with the
    adapter. See the item on the bottom of the page
    http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.nl/c.ACCT139057/category.-109/it.A/id.179/.f

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 17, 2004
  7. Brian Caldersmith

    stewy Guest

    > As I am about to take two weeks holiday next month, I am looking at the
    > options for storing the shots from my Olympus C750. The 256 card has

    handled
    > it in the past when only away for a week, but this time I know I will need
    > to dump images onto something or buy more cards. Any thoughts on the best
    > approach (I don't have a laptop)?

    Hama (Germany) makes a CDR/RW burner with media card slots - simply burn the
    pix onto cheap CDRs - you can get a very cheap zippable CD case. This burner
    does not need a PC and it's only 150 euro/$200.

    stewy, Apr 18, 2004
  8. Brian Caldersmith

    El Penguini Guest

    Brian -

    Find a friend that also owns a 256 card and borrow it for your vacation,
    with the offer to repay the favor. We don't all need 1GB of storage all the
    time, only when we're on vacation.

    El Penguini, Apr 18, 2004
  9. Brian Caldersmith

    Andrew Batey Guest

    Steve
    > Hi Pierre,
    >
    > You mentioned you put a 40 Gb harddrive in. Does that mean the Vosonic's
    > only come with a 20? Also, was it plug compatible with laptop harddrives or
    > was some rewiring required. Thanks.

    You can buy the Vosonic's without any harddrive - it is cheaper to
    source your own drive as they are standard 2.5" laptop drives although
    they must be 9mm not 12.5mm which will not fit in the case. No rewiring
    required.

    Andy

    Andrew Batey, Apr 19, 2004
  10. Brian Caldersmith

    Andrew Batey Guest

    Bud wrote:

    > I might have to investigate this myself. Going to Port Macquarie later this
    > year for the yearly holiday and the 12.3MP piccies (even 6.3MP) from the
    > S7000 do add up very quickly, plus there's always the video I end up taking
    > on the camera as well. Pity the current ones do not handle the XD cards, but
    > they will soon I bet

    The Vosonic X's-Drive Pro VP300 does support XD cards (although it
    doesn't actually say it in the specs!) as reported in some of the
    reviews. I have one for my hols with my S7000 and it works fine.
    There is an extra "bump" at the bottom right of the Smartmedia slot on
    the side of the VP300 that you push the XD card into.

    Andy

    Andrew Batey, Apr 19, 2004