    Is there anything out there that would be suitable?

    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    Code Developer, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Code Developer

    Twoflower Guest

    I have just bought an X-Drive II. Very basic. Bung in the card, hit the copy
    button and wait for the double beep. No preview it just does it. If the copy
    has an error you get a warning symbol and you can copy again. (the device
    doesnt erase the card, you do it with the camera format after..)

    it's also USB2 which you need for 40GB version we have and loads of canon
    D60 pictures.

    we bought ours from fotosense.co.uk and it was £243 for 40GB!

    Prices are here if you want to have a look... Good reviews on dpreview swung
    it for us (we are both digi users and fill a 1GB microdrive in an
    afternoon!)

    http://www.fotosense.co.uk/digitalstoragebins.html

    you want the XS-II for the USB 2 support or it wil crawl. If you are willing
    to save the money they go for version one.

    Twoflower

    --
    _________________________________

    On the web http://twofloweronline.co.uk

    remove no spam from email to reply!
    "Code Developer" <> wrote in
    message news:bm13vk$h8vm6$-berlin.de...
    > I'm after a device that will read images from a memory stick pro and store
    > them on an internal HD.
    >
    > Now I know that some of the Archos Jukeboxes are capable of doing this

    with
    > an optional card reader, but I'm not bothered about storing MP3 music or
    > viewing images. I simply want to be able to transfer images from the

    memory

    Twoflower, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Code Developer

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:38:40 +0100, "Code Developer"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm after a device that will read images from a memory stick pro and store
    >them on an internal HD.
    >
    >Now I know that some of the Archos Jukeboxes are capable of doing this with
    >an optional card reader, but I'm not bothered about storing MP3 music or
    >viewing images. I simply want to be able to transfer images from the memory
    >stick, allowing me to re-use it when I'm out with the camera.
    >
    >I'm after something with a capacity of around 5Gb
    >Memory Stick Pro compatible.
    >Can connect to the PC via USB2.0 or Firewire.
    >No more than £200 (I'm in the UK)
    >
    >Is there anything out there that would be suitable?

    ImageTank G1.5. $170 US with a 20 gig drive.

    see www.mydigitaldiscount.com

    Not sure about the memory stick, though -- the
    unit I'm talking about accepts CF and SmartMedia.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Oct 9, 2003
  4. "Twoflower" <> wrote in message

    > I have just bought an X-Drive II. Very basic. Bung in the card, hit the

    copy
    > button and wait for the double beep. No preview it just does it. If the

    copy
    > has an error you get a warning symbol and you can copy again. (the device
    > doesnt erase the card, you do it with the camera format after..)

    Will this device read memory stick Pro as well as standard memory sticks
    though?

    Who manufactures it?

    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    Code Developer, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Code Developer

    G Guest

    "Code Developer" <> wrote in
    message news:bm13vk$h8vm6$-berlin.de...
    > I'm after a device that will read images from a memory stick pro and store
    > them on an internal HD.
    >
    > Now I know that some of the Archos Jukeboxes are capable of doing this

    with
    > an optional card reader, but I'm not bothered about storing MP3 music or
    > viewing images. I simply want to be able to transfer images from the

    memory
    > stick, allowing me to re-use it when I'm out with the camera.
    >
    > I'm after something with a capacity of around 5Gb
    > Memory Stick Pro compatible.
    > Can connect to the PC via USB2.0 or Firewire.
    > No more than £200 (I'm in the UK)
    >
    > Is there anything out there that would be suitable?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Shaun.

    If you buy one,
    http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/ProdSDetail.asp?cat=Media Products&ProdID=10
    42
    let us know how it performs.

    G, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Code Developer, Oct 9, 2003
  7. "Code Developer" <> writes:

    > "Twoflower" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I have just bought an X-Drive II. Very basic. Bung in the card, hit the

    > copy
    > > button and wait for the double beep. No preview it just does it. If the

    > copy
    > > has an error you get a warning symbol and you can copy again. (the device
    > > doesnt erase the card, you do it with the camera format after..)

    > Will this device read memory stick Pro as well as standard memory sticks
    > though?

    The documentation claims it supports MS pro (but since I've only used
    smartmedia and compact flash I can't say personally if it supports it).

    > Who manufactures it?

    The company that makes it is Vosonic, which is evidently located in Taiwan.

    http://www.vosonic.com.tw/

    Note, if you buy it, you might want to buy it from a dealer that provides
    support, since Vosonic doesn't seem to care to deal with end users. You also
    might want to upgrade the firmware. With the original firmware, any vibrations
    would kill the copy, the new firmware is much better, but you need a Windows 98
    or Windows 2000 system to do the upgrade.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Oct 10, 2003