    Any recommendations?
    regards
    Benny

    Benny, Jun 1, 2008

  2. Benny

    Benny Guest

    "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    news:Cbq0k.6675$...
    >I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download all
    >my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of at
    >least 80GB capacity.
    > I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
    > Any recommendations?
    > regards
    > Benny

    A couple of corrections. 40D uses CF cards and good to have at least 20 to
    30 GB capacity for the image device.
    thanks
    Benny

    Benny, Jun 1, 2008

  3. Benny wrote:
    > "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    >> I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can
    >> download all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable
    >> storage device of at least 80GB capacity.
    >> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not
    >> essential. Any recommendations?
    >> regards
    >> Benny
    >>

    > A couple of corrections. 40D uses CF cards and good to have at least
    > 20 to 30 GB capacity for the image device.
    > thanks
    > Benny

    Take more cards - buy or borrow from friends. Perhaps, write your card to
    a DVD while travelling.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 1, 2008
  4. Benny

    Benny Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:hmr0k.1025$...
    > Benny wrote:
    >> "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    >>> I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can
    >>> download all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable
    >>> storage device of at least 80GB capacity.
    >>> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not
    >>> essential. Any recommendations?
    >>> regards
    >>> Benny
    >>>

    >> A couple of corrections. 40D uses CF cards and good to have at least
    >> 20 to 30 GB capacity for the image device.
    >> thanks
    >> Benny

    > Take more cards - buy or borrow from friends. Perhaps, write your card to
    > a DVD while travelling.
    >
    > David

    Yes, will consider the DVD burning option - just not sure how easy that will
    be in Paris and Italy.
    To buy say 2 x 8 GB cards is just as expensive as buying an Epson P3000
    which holds 40GB.
    thanks
    Benny

    Benny, Jun 1, 2008
  5. Benny

    DD-Diver Guest

    "Benny" <no spam > schreef in bericht
    >I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download all
    >my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of at
    >least 80GB capacity.
    > I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
    > Any recommendations?
    > regards
    > Benny

    1. Bring a notebook, backup to internal (or even external) harddrive or
    DVD's
    2. Buy a Canon M80: has even same batteries as your 40D, accepts CF and SD
    cards

    Lucas
    (from Holland)

    DD-Diver, Jun 1, 2008
  6. Benny

    Benny Guest

    "DD-Diver" <> wrote in message

    > "Benny" <no spam > schreef in bericht
    >>I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download
    >>all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of
    >>at least 80GB capacity.
    >> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
    >> Any recommendations?
    >> regards
    >> Benny
    >>

    > 1. Bring a notebook, backup to internal (or even external) harddrive or
    > DVD's
    > 2. Buy a Canon M80: has even same batteries as your 40D, accepts CF and SD
    > cards
    >
    > Lucas
    > (from Holland)

    Thanks Lucas
    I will have a look at the M80. The battery compatibility sounds good.
    My wife and I will be flying from Australia so want to keep any extras (like
    this) as light and small as possible. Hence the laptop would probably not
    fit at the moment.
    As an alternative, do you know any reliable camera stores in Europe
    (particularly Paris and Rome) where I could burn my images to DVD?
    Benny

    Benny, Jun 1, 2008
  7. Benny

    > "DD-Diver" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Benny" <no spam > schreef in bericht
    >>>I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download
    >>>all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device
    >>>of at least 80GB capacity.
    >>> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
    >>> Any recommendations?
    >>> regards
    >>> Benny
    >>>

    >> 1. Bring a notebook, backup to internal (or even external) harddrive or
    >> DVD's
    >> 2. Buy a Canon M80: has even same batteries as your 40D, accepts CF and
    >> SD cards
    >>
    >> Lucas
    >> (from Holland)
    >>

    > Thanks Lucas
    > I will have a look at the M80. The battery compatibility sounds good.
    > My wife and I will be flying from Australia so want to keep any extras
    > (like this) as light and small as possible. Hence the laptop would
    > probably not fit at the moment.
    > As an alternative, do you know any reliable camera stores in Europe
    > (particularly Paris and Rome) where I could burn my images to DVD?
    > Benny

    Don't know any camera stores where you can burn on DVD (anywhere in Europe),
    surely they have print stations that accept all kinds of cards and disks.
    Maybe look for internet cafés? Those are all over the place...over here in
    Holland, and almost certainly in all capital cities on the continent. Some
    hotels have computer/internet facilities as well. You could also mail the
    images to yourself AND carry a device like the M80 (double sure).

    Lucas

    DD-Diver, Jun 1, 2008
  8. Benny <no spam > wrote:

    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:hmr0k.1025$...
    >> Benny wrote:
    >>> "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> A couple of corrections. 40D uses CF cards and good to have at least
    >>> 20 to 30 GB capacity for the image device.
    >>> thanks
    >>> Benny

    >> Take more cards - buy or borrow from friends. Perhaps, write your card to
    >> a DVD while travelling.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > Yes, will consider the DVD burning option - just not sure how easy that will
    > be in Paris and Italy.

    You could use a local cyber cafe to copy your images across the web to
    some convenient file server. Should be possible to arrange enough
    space either for free, or for a very small fee.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Jun 1, 2008
  9. Benny wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"

    []
    >> Take more cards - buy or borrow from friends. Perhaps, write your
    >> card to a DVD while travelling.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > Yes, will consider the DVD burning option - just not sure how easy
    > that will be in Paris and Italy.
    > To buy say 2 x 8 GB cards is just as expensive as buying an Epson
    > P3000 which holds 40GB.
    > thanks
    > Benny

    Benny,

    We actually have an Epson P3000, and it has proved very useful - both for
    storage and as a hand-held slide-show device. But we do find that we only
    take it on long trips, in particular when only one of us is travelling so
    the wife's/husband's pictures aren't available as a backup. The price of
    2GB cards is now so low that if I needed 16GB I would just buy 8 x 2GB
    cards (mine are SD cards). Would 4 x 4GB CF cards be a good compromise?

    The DVD burning will take time and effort, but it does give you a backup.
    Is that time and effort worthwhile? You find yourself searching Paris for
    an Internet Cafe (you feel you can trust) rather than enjoying the sites?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 1, 2008
  10. "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    >I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download all
    >my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device of at
    >least 80GB capacity.
    > I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
    > Any recommendations?
    > regards
    > Benny

    PhotoBank 2.5" SATA USB OTG HDD Enclosure with SD/CF/MS/Duo Slots = Price:
    $37.42 free postage anywhere in the world

    http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_E-ST980811AS_proddesc_2.5_Seagate_80GB_SATA_5400rpm_8MB_ST980811AS.html
    2.5", Seagate 80GB SATA 5400rpm 8MB , ST980811AS = Price $79.86 + freight
    (say $20)
    and you could probably pick up a 2.5" HDD even cheaper if you looked harder
    than my 2 second search :)

    so for less than $140 you have 80 gig to travel anywhere photo storage :)
    --
    God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

    Atheist Chaplain, Jun 1, 2008
  11. "Benny" <no spam > wrote:
    >To buy say 2 x 8 GB cards is just as expensive as buying an Epson P3000
    >which holds 40GB.

    Well, not really. Kingston 8GB SDHC start at 40$, Sandisk at 60$.
    Kingston 8GB CF is 77$, Sandisk 94$, while that P3000 will set you back
    409$ (all prices US-$ at B&H).

    Not to mention that memory cards can often be found for much less like
    at the recent sale at Costco(*)

    jue

    *: just be careful not to fall for the ebay scumbag trying to sell faked
    cards when hunting for the best deal.

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 1, 2008
  12. "BobW" <> wrote in message

    > "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote in message
    >> "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    >>>I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe and want to be sure I can download
    >>>all my images from my Canon 40D (SD cards) to a portable storage device
    >>>of at least 80GB capacity.
    >>> I will have access to mains power so battery requirement not essential.
    >>> Any recommendations?
    >>> regards
    >>> Benny
    >>>

    >> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13084
    >> PhotoBank 2.5" SATA USB OTG HDD Enclosure with SD/CF/MS/Duo Slots =
    >> Price: $37.42 free postage anywhere in the world
    >>
    >> http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_E-ST980811AS_proddesc_2.5_Seagate_80GB_SATA_5400rpm_8MB_ST980811AS.html
    >> 2.5", Seagate 80GB SATA 5400rpm 8MB , ST980811AS = Price $79.86 +
    >> freight (say $20)
    >> and you could probably pick up a 2.5" HDD even cheaper if you looked
    >> harder than my 2 second search :)
    >>
    >> so for less than $140 you have 80 gig to travel anywhere photo storage
    >> :)
    >> --
    >>

    > If one doesn't use SDHC cards then that does look pretty cool (I realize
    > that Benny uses CF cards).
    >
    > Does this PhotoBank support SDHC cards?
    >
    > Transcend makes something called a PhotoBank, too, and it doesn't appear
    > to support SDHC, either.
    >
    > http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=11&SpNo=1&LangNo=0
    >
    > Bob
    > --
    > == NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
    > SPAM ==

    Apparently the PB007 supports SDHC (thats the model up from the one in the
    link) I'm not sure where you could get one of those from :-(
    Don Hirschberg

    Atheist Chaplain, Jun 2, 2008
  13. Atheist Chaplain wrote:

    > "BobW" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13084 PhotoBank 2.5" SATA
    >>> USB OTG HDD Enclosure with SD/CF/MS/Duo Slots = Price: $37.42 free
    >>> postage anywhere in the world
    >>>
    >>> http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_E-ST980811AS_proddesc_2.5_Seagate_80GB_SATA_5400rpm_8MB_ST980811AS.html
    >>> 2.5", Seagate 80GB SATA 5400rpm 8MB , ST980811AS = Price $79.86 +
    >>> freight (say $20)
    >>> and you could probably pick up a 2.5" HDD even cheaper if you looked
    >>> harder than my 2 second search :)
    >>>
    >>> so for less than $140 you have 80 gig to travel anywhere photo storage
    >>> :)
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> If one doesn't use SDHC cards then that does look pretty cool (I
    >> realize that Benny uses CF cards).
    >>
    >> Does this PhotoBank support SDHC cards?
    >>
    >> Transcend makes something called a PhotoBank, too, and it doesn't
    >> appear to support SDHC, either.
    >>
    >> http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=11&SpNo=1&LangNo=0
    >>
    >> Bob
    >> --
    >> == NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to
    >> uncontrolled SPAM ==
    >>

    > Apparently the PB007 supports SDHC (thats the model up from the one in
    > the link) I'm not sure where you could get one of those from :-(

    I just got a SanDisk SDHC reader (it does some other stuff, too, but it's
    only a 5-in-1) that has a *big* USB jack. I don't know if I've ever seen
    one that wasn't a mini. It was quite a surprise. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 2, 2008
  14. "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >
    >> "BobW" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote in message

    >>> If one doesn't use SDHC cards then that does look pretty cool (I
    >>> realize that Benny uses CF cards).
    >>>
    >>> Does this PhotoBank support SDHC cards?
    >>>
    >>> Transcend makes something called a PhotoBank, too, and it doesn't
    >>> appear to support SDHC, either.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=11&SpNo=1&LangNo=0
    >>>
    >>> Bob
    >>> --
    >>> == NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to
    >>> uncontrolled SPAM ==
    >>>

    >> Apparently the PB007 supports SDHC (thats the model up from the one in
    >> the link) I'm not sure where you could get one of those from :-(

    > I just got a SanDisk SDHC reader (it does some other stuff, too, but it's
    > only a 5-in-1) that has a *big* USB jack. I don't know if I've ever seen
    > one that wasn't a mini. It was quite a surprise. :)
    >

    > --
    > Blinky
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
    > Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

    personally I take a laptop with me when I travel so its never been a
    problem, and I have about 3 of them laying around the house somewhere at the
    moment, more if you count the dead ones :)

    --
    God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

    Atheist Chaplain, Jun 2, 2008
  15. Atheist Chaplain wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >>
    >>> "BobW" <> wrote in message

    >>> Apparently the PB007 supports SDHC (thats the model up from the one in
    >>> the link) I'm not sure where you could get one of those from :-(

    >> I just got a SanDisk SDHC reader (it does some other stuff, too, but
    >> it's only a 5-in-1) that has a *big* USB jack. I don't know if I've
    >> ever seen one that wasn't a mini. It was quite a surprise. :)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Blinky
    >> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >> The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org Found
    >> 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se
    >>

    > personally I take a laptop with me when I travel so its never been a
    > problem, and I have about 3 of them laying around the house somewhere at
    > the moment, more if you count the dead ones :)

    I have a modern laptop, and I also I have an old-old-old one with 128MB
    RAM, a 400MHZ CPU and a 2GB HDD. I don't use the latter any more, but the
    other day I pulled it out of the closet to see if it would still turn over
    if I pulled out the manual choke knob and pumped the gas a little. It
    did, without complaint. What I was gonna do, see, was see if - purely for
    fun - I could get a version of Linux to run on it. I pulled out an old
    Knoppix disc, figuring I'd first try that, then get smaller if needed.
    Then I hit myself in the forhead with that computer a few times for
    forgetting that all it's got is a floppy drive. D'oh!

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 2, 2008
  16. "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> I just got a SanDisk SDHC reader (it does some other stuff, too, but
    >>> it's only a 5-in-1) that has a *big* USB jack. I don't know if I've
    >>> ever seen one that wasn't a mini. It was quite a surprise. :)
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Blinky
    >>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >>> The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org Found
    >>> 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se
    >>>

    >> personally I take a laptop with me when I travel so its never been a
    >> problem, and I have about 3 of them laying around the house somewhere at
    >> the moment, more if you count the dead ones :)

    > I have a modern laptop, and I also I have an old-old-old one with 128MB
    > RAM, a 400MHZ CPU and a 2GB HDD. I don't use the latter any more, but the
    > other day I pulled it out of the closet to see if it would still turn over
    > if I pulled out the manual choke knob and pumped the gas a little. It
    > did, without complaint. What I was gonna do, see, was see if - purely for
    > fun - I could get a version of Linux to run on it. I pulled out an old
    > Knoppix disc, figuring I'd first try that, then get smaller if needed.
    > Then I hit myself in the forhead with that computer a few times for
    > forgetting that all it's got is a floppy drive. D'oh!
    >

    > --
    > Blinky
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
    > Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

    rip the drive out, throw it in an external enclosure and format as
    necessary, put the knoppix files on the drive, return it to machine and boot
    from floppy (OS of choice) run install. I have done this in the past with an
    old old IBM lappie to put Win 95 back on (Not my machine, normally I
    wouldn't even bother resurrecting such an antique)

    Don Hirschberg

    Atheist Chaplain, Jun 3, 2008
  17. Atheist Chaplain wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> personally I take a laptop with me when I travel so its never been a
    >>> problem, and I have about 3 of them laying around the house somewhere at
    >>> the moment, more if you count the dead ones :)

    >> I have a modern laptop, and I also I have an old-old-old one with 128MB
    >> RAM, a 400MHZ CPU and a 2GB HDD. I don't use the latter any more, but the
    >> other day I pulled it out of the closet to see if it would still turn over
    >> if I pulled out the manual choke knob and pumped the gas a little. It
    >> did, without complaint. What I was gonna do, see, was see if - purely for
    >> fun - I could get a version of Linux to run on it. I pulled out an old
    >> Knoppix disc, figuring I'd first try that, then get smaller if needed.
    >> Then I hit myself in the forhead with that computer a few times for
    >> forgetting that all it's got is a floppy drive. D'oh!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Blinky
    >> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >> The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
    >> Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se
    >>

    > rip the drive out, throw it in an external enclosure and format as
    > necessary, put the knoppix files on the drive, return it to machine and boot
    > from floppy (OS of choice) run install. I have done this in the past with an
    > old old IBM lappie to put Win 95 back on (Not my machine, normally I
    > wouldn't even bother resurrecting such an antique)

    Not really worth the effort and needed hardware. But thanks for the idea.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 3, 2008
  18. Benny

    John Turco Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > I have a modern laptop, and I also I have an old-old-old one with 128MB
    > RAM, a 400MHZ CPU and a 2GB HDD. I don't use the latter any more, but the
    > other day I pulled it out of the closet to see if it would still turn over
    > if I pulled out the manual choke knob and pumped the gas a little. It
    > did, without complaint. What I was gonna do, see, was see if - purely for
    > fun - I could get a version of Linux to run on it. I pulled out an old
    > Knoppix disc, figuring I'd first try that, then get smaller if needed.
    > Then I hit myself in the forhead with that computer a few times for
    > forgetting that all it's got is a floppy drive. D'oh!

    Hello, Blinky:

    The very first item that I "won," on eBay (back in February of 2002),
    was an ancient (circa 1992), dead Toshiba T4400C laptop computer. It
    cost a total of $23.50 USD, including shipping.

    It took me about three years of time, effort and money, to finally
    get it operating properly. Really, I spent far too much of all those
    things, but...it was illuminating, I suppose. <g>

    Anyhow, these are my white beast's current specifications:

    CPU: Intel 486DX 50MHz
    RAM: 20MB
    HDD: 210MB
    OS: Windows 3.1/DOS 6.2

    Oh, well. ;-) The T4400C was somewhat coveted, in its day, boasting
    an active matrix LCD display and "Hall effect non-contact proximity
    switch keyboard" (with the latter component, touted as practically
    indestructible).

    In any case (pun intended), I've never bothered running the puny
    PC, since its successful repair.

    It works, at least, which is a lot more that can be said, for my
    only other notebook (a Texas Instruments Extensa 515). That old
    (circa 1997), hand-me-down machine suddenly became "deceased,"
    during April, 2007. Although, I'd barely used it, after receiving
    it, in December of 2002.

    Okay, then, maybe that was the real problem -- I didn't use the
    Extensa 515, nearly >enough<, possibly? :p

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 14, 2008
  19. John Turco wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    > <heavily edited for brevity>
    >
    >> I have a modern laptop, and I also I have an old-old-old one with 128MB
    >> RAM, a 400MHZ CPU and a 2GB HDD. I don't use the latter any more, but the
    >> other day I pulled it out of the closet to see if it would still turn over
    >> if I pulled out the manual choke knob and pumped the gas a little. It
    >> did, without complaint. What I was gonna do, see, was see if - purely for
    >> fun - I could get a version of Linux to run on it. I pulled out an old
    >> Knoppix disc, figuring I'd first try that, then get smaller if needed.
    >> Then I hit myself in the forhead with that computer a few times for
    >> forgetting that all it's got is a floppy drive. D'oh!

    > Hello, Blinky:
    >
    > The very first item that I "won," on eBay (back in February of 2002),
    > was an ancient (circa 1992), dead Toshiba T4400C laptop computer. It
    > cost a total of $23.50 USD, including shipping.
    >
    > It took me about three years of time, effort and money, to finally
    > get it operating properly. Really, I spent far too much of all those
    > things, but...it was illuminating, I suppose. <g>

    Oh, I know -- it was "the challenge".

    > Anyhow, these are my white beast's current specifications:
    >
    > CPU: Intel 486DX 50MHz
    > RAM: 20MB
    > HDD: 210MB
    > OS: Windows 3.1/DOS 6.2

    Wow.

    > Oh, well. ;-) The T4400C was somewhat coveted, in its day, boasting
    > an active matrix LCD display and "Hall effect non-contact proximity
    > switch keyboard" (with the latter component, touted as practically
    > indestructible).
    >
    > In any case (pun intended), I've never bothered running the puny
    > PC, since its successful repair.

    The challenge being met. :)

    > It works, at least, which is a lot more that can be said, for my
    > only other notebook (a Texas Instruments Extensa 515). That old
    > (circa 1997), hand-me-down machine suddenly became "deceased,"
    > during April, 2007. Although, I'd barely used it, after receiving
    > it, in December of 2002.
    >
    > Okay, then, maybe that was the real problem -- I didn't use the
    > Extensa 515, nearly >enough<, possibly? :p

    It got lonely and depressed. Meanie. :)

    I still have my first (and last) Pentium (a 133) siting on the bookshelf.
    I just can't seem to pitch it...

    --
    Blinky
    Is your ISP dropping Usenet?