    I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
    the 4 years since i bought my last camera.

    thanks
    Raoul, Aug 13, 2007

  2. Raoul

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:14:27 -0400, Raoul wrote:

    > Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
    > of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?
    >
    > I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
    > the 4 years since i bought my last camera.

    Subscribe to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems if you haven't already
    done so and start retrieving messages from the following date.
    While the message ID is compatible with your version of Agent, I've
    found that the messages from googlegroups don't always download.

    > Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    > Subject: Image stabilization - which works better, sensor or lens shift?
    > Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:04:16 -0700

    BTW, did you really mean "digital" image stabilization? I think
    that that's generally used for video cameras, whereas digital still
    cameras normally use the two types mentioned in the Subject line.
    ASAAR, Aug 13, 2007

  3. Raoul

    Somebody Guest

    "Raoul" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
    > of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?
    >
    > I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
    > the 4 years since i bought my last camera.
    >
    > thanks

    Don't need a link. Optical is better. Digital simply ups the ISO on the
    camera. It fakes it, just like Digital Zoom fakes optical zoom. Do not
    decided on a camera because it has Digital Image Stabilization. If it isn't
    in the lens or on the sensor it is shit plain and simple.

    Somebody!
    Somebody, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Raoul

    Pete D Guest

    "Somebody" <> wrote in message
    > "Raoul" <> wrote in message
    >> Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
    >> of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
    >> the 4 years since i bought my last camera.
    >>
    >> thanks

    > Don't need a link. Optical is better. Digital simply ups the ISO on the
    > camera. It fakes it, just like Digital Zoom fakes optical zoom. Do not
    > decided on a camera because it has Digital Image Stabilization. If it
    > isn't in the lens or on the sensor it is shit plain and simple.
    >
    > Somebody!

    Got some links to some testing on this?

    Thanks
    Pete D, Aug 13, 2007
  5. In article <46c00129$0$22612$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    01.iinet.net.au>, says...

    > "Somebody" <> wrote in message
    > > "Raoul" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
    > >> of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?
    > >>
    > >> I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
    > >> the 4 years since i bought my last camera.
    > >>
    > >> thanks

    > > Don't need a link. Optical is better. Digital simply ups the ISO on the
    > > camera. It fakes it, just like Digital Zoom fakes optical zoom. Do not
    > > decided on a camera because it has Digital Image Stabilization. If it
    > > isn't in the lens or on the sensor it is shit plain and simple.
    > >
    > > Somebody!

    > Got some links to some testing on this?

    You don't need any testing. "Digital" image stabilization is pure
    marketing bullshit, just like digital zoom. You want real optical image
    stabilization, it is great on long zooms. Many cameras have it (all
    Panasonic, some Canon (designated "IS" in model #), some Kodak, Nikon,
    and others).

    Irwin Peckinloomer, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Raoul <> wrote:

    > Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
    > of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?

    This one is a no brainer.

    Digital stabilization takes a series of blurry images and tries to
    recover something from them, or even worse just increases the ASA and
    shutter speed and introduces digital noise. It is common on movie
    cameras. In still cameras it is mainly advertising hype.

    Optical stabilization prevents blurry images in the first place. It is
    by far the best and found on your better cameras.

    It comes in two forms, in-the-lens and at-the-sensor. I have
    at-the-sensor and it is great because it will work with any lens. I
    have a 35 mm to 420 mm (equiv) zoom and it works flawlessly. I used it
    on safari in Africa while shooting animal photos and didn't have one
    blurry photo.

    Purists like in-the-lens stabilization since in each lens the
    stabilization is optimized. The down sides are that it makes you older
    lenses obsolete, makes lenses heavier, and is very expensive.

    If you are using a zoom lens, then it really doesn't matter since the
    stabilization in-the-lens has the same compromises that the
    stabilization at-the-sensor has. The difference being that at-the-sensor
    is less expensive and more reliable.

    Typically either optical system will give you about 3 stops more range.

    --
    Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
    http://rhodyman.net
    Stephen Henning, Aug 13, 2007
  7. Raoul

    Pete D Guest

    "Irwin Peckinloomer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <46c00129$0$22612$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    > 01.iinet.net.au>, says...
    >>
    >> "Somebody" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Raoul" <> wrote in message

    >> > Don't need a link. Optical is better. Digital simply ups the ISO on the
    >> > camera. It fakes it, just like Digital Zoom fakes optical zoom. Do not
    >> > decided on a camera because it has Digital Image Stabilization. If it
    >> > isn't in the lens or on the sensor it is shit plain and simple.
    >> >
    >> > Somebody!

    >> Got some links to some testing on this?
    >>

    > You don't need any testing. "Digital" image stabilization is pure
    > marketing bullshit, just like digital zoom. You want real optical image
    > stabilization, it is great on long zooms. Many cameras have it (all
    > Panasonic, some Canon (designated "IS" in model #), some Kodak, Nikon,
    > and others).

    You are correct of course, I was thinking of the other method that works, in
    camera sensor shift.

    Cheers.

    Pete
    Pete D, Aug 13, 2007
  8. Raoul

    codey45 Guest

    codey45, Aug 13, 2007
  9. Raoul

    Somebody Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Somebody" <> wrote in message
    >> "Raoul" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can someone tell me, or give me a link to a discussion of, which type
    >>> of image stabilization is better; optical or digital?
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to get up to speed on all the changes in the technology in
    >>> the 4 years since i bought my last camera.
    >>>
    >>> thanks

    >> Don't need a link. Optical is better. Digital simply ups the ISO on the
    >> camera. It fakes it, just like Digital Zoom fakes optical zoom. Do not
    >> decided on a camera because it has Digital Image Stabilization. If it
    >> isn't in the lens or on the sensor it is shit plain and simple.
    >>
    >> Somebody!

    > Got some links to some testing on this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Don't need testing on this. digital is faked. Only a moron would think that
    faked IS is anywhere close to being real optical IS.

    Somebody!
    Somebody, Aug 13, 2007
  10. Raoul

    Anoni Moose Guest

    On Aug 13, 3:04 pm, "Somebody" <> wrote:

    > Don't need testing on this. digital is faked. Only a moron would think that
    > faked IS is anywhere close to being real optical IS.

    I know that in camcorders the alternative digital is *not* faked.
    But in a camcorder the objective is different (cutting down of
    jiggling rather than cutting down of blur). I don't think the video
    cam electronic method would work for stills. But this may
    be the reason one might think it would work properly -- rather
    than because one is a moron. They may be camcorder users
    where the electronic version DOES really work, even if not as
    well as optical.
    Anoni Moose, Aug 16, 2007