    jojoandsha Guest

    Is image stabilization a gimmick on ultra-compact digitals with only a 3x
    zoom or is it actually useful? Drawbacks?

    jojoandsha, Dec 16, 2005

  2. "jojoandsha" <u16733@uwe> wrote in message news:58efc856cc096@uwe...
    > Is image stabilization a gimmick on ultra-compact digitals with only a 3x
    > zoom or is it actually useful? Drawbacks?

    I'd not call it a gimmick but would have to know how well it actually works.
    There are situations where IS is useful (low-light), regardless of zoom.

    My FZ-5 IS works well, but that is a 12x zoom camera. Does it occasionally
    become useful at low-zoom; sure!

    Charles Schuler, Dec 16, 2005

  3. jojoandsha

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:50:13 GMT, "jojoandsha" <u16733@uwe> wrote:

    >Is image stabilization a gimmick on ultra-compact digitals with only a 3x
    >zoom or is it actually useful? Drawbacks?

    I wouldn't buy a camera without it. Even with no zoom it helps in low
    light.

    Don Wiss, Dec 16, 2005
  4. On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:50:13 GMT, jojoandsha <u16733@uwe> wrote:
    > Is image stabilization a gimmick on ultra-compact digitals with only a 3x
    > zoom or is it actually useful? Drawbacks?

    It's useful at moderate focal lengths when light levels drop. I was
    amusing myself last night by taking pictures of my apartment in fairly
    low light, needing shutters of 1/4 s or thereabouts. Even at the wide
    end of the zoom, I needed the stabilizer to have any hope of avoiding
    blur.I imagine this would be even more true on ultracompacts, since they
    tend to have lenses that are fairly dim at the tele end.

    My recollection of the reviews of stabilized ultracompacts is that the
    stabilizers aren't quite as effective as they are in superzooms, since
    the ultracompacts are lighter and tend to shake more. It still helps to
    some extent, though.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Dec 16, 2005
  5. jojoandsha

    m Ransley Guest

    I saw a Sony P&S with "steady shot" which works on my sony camcorder so
    that may be true stabilisation. Ive heard some makes just lower
    automaticly , change a setting, which is not stabilising anything.
    Panasonic I believe have models that do stabilise. It will be a common
    addition eventualy, now on a few better models.

    m Ransley, Dec 16, 2005
  6. (m Ransley) writes:

    > I saw a Sony P&S with "steady shot" which works on my sony camcorder so
    > that may be true stabilisation.

    Image stabilization on camcorders is something entirely different. It
    works by detecting motion between frames, and shifting a crop
    rectangle slightly smaller than the full frame.

    > Ive heard some makes just lower automaticly , change a setting,
    > which is not stabilising anything.

    If there's a marketing lie they can get away with, they'll use it.
    That sounds like it could be one of them.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Dec 16, 2005
  7. =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= <> writes:

    >> I saw a Sony P&S with "steady shot" which works on my sony camcorder so
    >> that may be true stabilisation.

    >Image stabilization on camcorders is something entirely different. It
    >works by detecting motion between frames, and shifting a crop
    >rectangle slightly smaller than the full frame.

    That's "digital image stabilization", it's common on cheaper camcorders,
    and you're right that it isn't useful for still images.

    But better camcorders often have optical image stabilization, which
    keeps the image more or less stationary on the sensor. This is better
    than DIS because individual frames are sharper, and it is also useful on
    a still camera.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 17, 2005
  8. jojoandsha

    Ron Hunter Guest

    jojoandsha wrote:
    > Is image stabilization a gimmick on ultra-compact digitals with only a 3x
    > zoom or is it actually useful? Drawbacks?

    Probably a gimmick, at that level of zoom. Most likely the 'electronic'
    (software) kind, rather than a mechanical IS.
    Note that doing the job via software is not as good as mechanical, and
    will reduce both effective resolution, and image quality.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 17, 2005
  9. Ron Hunter wrote:
    > jojoandsha wrote:
    >> Is image stabilization a gimmick on ultra-compact digitals with only
    >> a 3x zoom or is it actually useful? Drawbacks?

    > Probably a gimmick, at that level of zoom. Most likely the
    > 'electronic' (software) kind, rather than a mechanical IS.
    > Note that doing the job via software is not as good as mechanical, and
    > will reduce both effective resolution, and image quality.

    I agree that a mechanical system is to be preferred, and it would be up to
    the purchaser to check. I don't agree the image stabilisation has no
    place with small zoom cameras - it can both extend the light-level at
    which a camera can be hand held, and it can help compensate for the small
    aperture lenses these very compact cameras sometimes have. Don't forget
    that ISO 100 may be the highest usable speed because of noise.

    Even on my Nikon 8400 (24mm wide-angle) I still wish it had IS for the dim
    lighting we get in our nothern winters!

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 17, 2005