    Canon, Sony and Panasonic - image stabilization
    Nikon - Vibration Reduction (VR)

    Joe
    Joe, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Joe wrote:
    > Image stabilization appears to be a great feature of the mid-priced
    > 10X + digital cameras. There appears to be a few different types.
    >
    > Are these systems all similar?

    Broadly, yes. Two differences:

    - all except Minolta move elements in the lens, Minolta move the sensor.

    (In video cameras, the IS is sometimes achieved electronically by
    displacing the sensor image by a pixel or two. No still cameras use this
    for still image capture, although the Nikon 8400 can use electronic VR for
    movie mode).

    > Do any of them work in a unique way that makes it superior?

    - my view is that the jury is still out. All systems gain you about three
    stops. The Minolta uniquely requires a larger image circle from the
    taking lens, but when applied to an interchangeable lens camera
    automatically gives you IS on all the lenses. One person reported that
    the Minolta system didn't work as well at long focal lengths (IIRC) -
    perhaps this is due to the larger movement required of the sensor? I've
    been delighted with the Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Joe

    Bert Guest

    Have the Panasonic FZ 5, works great

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> schreef
    in bericht news:SLRye.64060$...

    Bert, Jul 6, 2005