    Is this system always "ON" or can it be switched off?
    Or is it linked to the function (P, A, S, M, iA...)?
    Thanks for an answer!

    Carpe Diem, Mar 28, 2008

  2. Carpe Diem wrote:
    > I intend to buy a Panasonic DMC FZ18. It has an image stabilisation
    > system. Is this system always "ON" or can it be switched off?
    > Or is it linked to the function (P, A, S, M, iA...)?
    > Thanks for an answer!

    Yes, you can switch it off, and if it is like the other Panasonics I have
    used there are two different active modes: continuous (with viewfinder
    image stabilised) and single-shot (stabilise only when taking for better
    stabilisation performances).

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 28, 2008

  3. Carpe Diem

    Carpe Diem Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> schreef in
    bericht news:W43Hj.577$...
    > Carpe Diem wrote:
    >> I intend to buy a Panasonic DMC FZ18. It has an image stabilisation
    >> system. Is this system always "ON" or can it be switched off?
    >> Or is it linked to the function (P, A, S, M, iA...)?
    >> Thanks for an answer!

    > Yes, you can switch it off, and if it is like the other Panasonics I have
    > used there are two different active modes: continuous (with viewfinder
    > image stabilised) and single-shot (stabilise only when taking for better
    > stabilisation performances).
    >
    > David

    Thank you.
    I downloaded the manual and I dont find anything about this subject.
    Hence my question...

    Carpe Diem, Mar 28, 2008
  4. Carpe Diem wrote:

    >I downloaded the manual and I dont find anything about this subject.
    >Hence my question...

    It is on page 83 of my printed manual.

    Chris
    --
    Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

    Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

    Chris J Dixon, Mar 28, 2008
  5. Carpe Diem

    Marvin Guest

    Carpe Diem wrote:
    > I intend to buy a Panasonic DMC FZ18. It has an image stabilisation system.
    > Is this system always "ON" or can it be switched off?
    > Or is it linked to the function (P, A, S, M, iA...)?
    > Thanks for an answer!

    I don't have that model. But in my DMC LZ3, the image
    stabilization can be urned off or can be turned on to two
    settings that do the stabilization differently. You access
    that function by pressing a small button on the top of the
    camera, marked by a shaking hand icon.

    Marvin, Mar 28, 2008
  6. Carpe Diem

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for that info. I plan on buying one when I get my Federal rebate
    check in June.
    Old Bob

    Guest, Mar 28, 2008
  7. Carpe Diem

    Carpe Diem Guest

    "Marvin" <> schreef in bericht
    > Carpe Diem wrote:
    >> I intend to buy a Panasonic DMC FZ18. It has an image stabilisation
    >> system.
    >> Is this system always "ON" or can it be switched off?
    >> Or is it linked to the function (P, A, S, M, iA...)?
    >> Thanks for an answer!
    >>

    > I don't have that model. But in my DMC LZ3, the image stabilization can
    > be urned off or can be turned on to two settings that do the stabilization
    > differently. You access that function by pressing a small button on the
    > top of the camera, marked by a shaking hand icon.

    There is not such a button on the DMC FZ18

    Carpe Diem, Mar 28, 2008
  8. Carpe Diem

    Carpe Diem Guest

    "Chris J Dixon" <> schreef in bericht
    > Carpe Diem wrote:
    >
    >>I downloaded the manual and I dont find anything about this subject.
    >>Hence my question...
    >>

    > It is on page 83 of my printed manual.
    >
    > Chris

    I do not have the full manual but a 32 pages "reduced" one.
    Is there a possibility to send the full manual by e-mail?
    You can mail to : luc.declercq"AT"gmail.com (replace "AT" by @).
    Thank you!

    Carpe Diem, Mar 28, 2008
  9. Carpe Diem

    dullpain Guest

    Wll I got one of these.
    You can turn off the IS.
    However this is a noisy, noisy beast even at low ISO so you really want to
    use the IS to maximize handheld image quality. If you plan to use a tripod
    for high quality work use a dSLR.

    dullpain, Mar 28, 2008
  10. Carpe Diem wrote:

    >"Chris J Dixon" <> schreef in bericht

    >> It is on page 83 of my printed manual.
    >>
    >> Chris

    >I do not have the full manual but a 32 pages "reduced" one.
    >Is there a possibility to send the full manual by e-mail?

    Just try Googling a bit more effectively. This was my first hit

    http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ18.pdf

    Page 81 on this version.

    Chris

    Chris J Dixon, Mar 28, 2008
  11. Carpe Diem

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:42:46 +0100, Carpe Diem wrote:

    > "Chris J Dixon" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Carpe Diem wrote:
    >>
    >>>I downloaded the manual and I dont find anything about this subject.
    >>>Hence my question...
    >>>

    >> It is on page 83 of my printed manual.
    >>
    >> Chris

    > I do not have the full manual but a 32 pages "reduced" one. Is there a
    > possibility to send the full manual by e-mail? You can mail to :
    > luc.declercq"AT"gmail.com (replace "AT" by @). Thank you!

    If you figured out how to download an abbreviated manual, why not
    just download the full manual? When I asked Google for "fz18
    manual", this was the second hit:

    http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ18.pdf

    Operation of the stabilizer is on page 81. There is no external
    button on this particular model, but it has the same three modes
    as other Panasonic designs. You control it via the menu.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Mar 28, 2008
  12. Carpe Diem

    measekite Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Carpe Diem wrote:
    >> I intend to buy a Panasonic DMC FZ18.

    I think that is a very good choice but the image quality of the Canon S5
    is somewhat less noisy, not over processed like the FZ18 and the color
    is better. However it does not go as wide or as long but is has an
    articulated LCD that is great for macro photography if you do that. You
    can also take a movie and zoom while it is running.

    The FZ18 was my second choice. While the choice was close I am glad I
    chose the Canon. I can also get a DSLR without having to have an
    entirely new menu system.

    And the Canon has a 3 way image stabilization: always on, on when you
    push the shutter, and off. I think the FZ18 can do the same but am not
    sure.

    measekite, Mar 28, 2008
  13. Carpe Diem

    Carpe Diem Guest