    end of the consumer price band. I am based in the UK, if that makes any
    difference.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Keith Sheppard wrote:

    > For some time now I've been thinking I could do with a scanner. Up til now,
    > if I've had any scanning to do I've used the scanner at the office.
    >
    > I have just acquired a number of old photos which I'd like to scan. None of
    > the photos are particularly large but the problem is that some of them are
    > framed and/or mounted and I don't want to risk damaging them by dismantling
    > them. The scanner at the office has a hinged lid which doesn't come off and
    > only opens to 90 degrees so there seems to be no way to scan an image which
    > is in the middle of a large mount or frame.
    >
    > Is this common or are there devices which can scan the middle part of a
    > large original? I had a look at some scanner specs but I couldn't find
    > anything to indicate whether the covers came off or folded right back. I
    > can't believe I'm the only one to have this problem. Anyone care to make
    > any suggestions as to what I should be looking for in the product specs. or
    > perhaps to recommend a some models which would meet my requirements.
    >
    > I'm not looking for anything fancy and can only afford to dip into the lower
    > end of the consumer price band. I am based in the UK, if that makes any
    > difference.
    >
    > Keith

    I am on my third flatbed (print) scanner. All of mine have had
    removable lids for scanning books, framed prints, etc.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Keith Sheppard

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Keith Sheppard" <> stated
    that:

    >For some time now I've been thinking I could do with a scanner. Up til now,
    >if I've had any scanning to do I've used the scanner at the office.
    >
    >I have just acquired a number of old photos which I'd like to scan. None of
    >the photos are particularly large but the problem is that some of them are
    >framed and/or mounted and I don't want to risk damaging them by dismantling
    >them. The scanner at the office has a hinged lid which doesn't come off and
    >only opens to 90 degrees so there seems to be no way to scan an image which
    >is in the middle of a large mount or frame.
    >
    >Is this common or are there devices which can scan the middle part of a
    >large original?

    Unless the frame is very thick, you can use your usual scanner by
    leaving the lid up & putting a phone book or something similar on your
    picture to make sure it sits flat while being scanned. I've used that
    trick to scan all sorts of oddly shaped objects, & it works very well on
    most scanners.

    Lionel, Feb 8, 2005
  4. >>Unless the frame is very thick, you can use your usual scanner by
    >>leaving the lid up & putting a phone book or something similar on your
    >>picture to make sure it sits flat while being scanned. I've used that
    >>trick to scan all sorts of oddly shaped objects, & it works very well on
    >>most scanners.

    On the scanner at the office, the lid only opens to 90 degrees so there's a
    solid obstruction (the hinge etc) all the way down one side at about 2
    inches from the edge of the glass.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Keith Sheppard

    News Guest

    "Keith Sheppard" <> wrote in message
    >>>Unless the frame is very thick, you can use your usual scanner by
    >>>leaving the lid up & putting a phone book or something similar on your
    >>>picture to make sure it sits flat while being scanned. I've used that
    >>>trick to scan all sorts of oddly shaped objects, & it works very well on
    >>>most scanners.

    > On the scanner at the office, the lid only opens to 90 degrees so there's
    > solid obstruction (the hinge etc) all the way down one side at about 2
    > inches from the edge of the glass.
    >
    > Keith

    Turn the (phone) book through 180 degrees then turn the copy a further 180
    degrees to read.

    News, Feb 10, 2005