Image quality on Minolta Scan Dual II

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David French, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. David French

    David French Guest

    I've had a Scan Dual II for a couple of years and I was initially very happy
    with the quality.

    However, after a while I noticed I was having to nudge the gamma a bit to
    get good results. But recently, I'm having to do fairly radical things with
    the gamma to get any sort of decent result at all.

    Yesterday I scanned a properly-exposed slide and left the gamma alone. In
    Photoshop, the histogram showed nothing above the midpoint - ie I'm losing
    half the dynamic range! Additionally, there is fading round the edges of
    the scans, in a circular pattern. So, for some reason, the scanner is
    deteriorating noticably.

    I've seen this once before, I think, in a Scan Dual I. I rang Minolta to
    see if this is a common problem but they say not. I'm wondering if it could
    be something as simple as the bulb oxidising, but then again, I would have
    thought the auto exposure would have tried to correct for that. The
    scanner's not had a particularly high usage.

    Does anybody have any ideas?

    TIA,
    David.
    David French, Aug 24, 2003

  2. David French wrote:
    > Yesterday I scanned a properly-exposed slide and left the gamma alone. In
    > Photoshop, the histogram showed nothing above the midpoint - ie I'm losing
    > half the dynamic range! Additionally, there is fading round the edges of
    > the scans, in a circular pattern. So, for some reason, the scanner is
    > deteriorating noticably.

    I noticed this on my Minolta Dual Scan as well (I think it was the first
    one). One thing that really bothered me about that scanner was that the
    light was ALWAYS on. It should only have been on when the scanner was
    working. I can't believe that it always being on did not affect the
    light source integrity.

    I don't know if you can even buy a replacement bulb or whatever is in
    there. I ended up giving up on mine and replaced it with the Nikon
    Coolscan 4000ED.

    It's doing a much better job than the Minolta did anyway but it was
    about three times the cost too.
    Andrew McDonald, Aug 24, 2003

  3. David French

    David French Guest

    "Graham Russell" <> wrote in message
    > I had a problem with my Scan Dual II last year. Scans got progressively
    > worse and I noticed the lamp started flickering. In the end the lamp gave

    up
    > completely.
    >
    > I asked Jessops to get a price for a replacement lamp - £90. So I decided

    > write the scanner off and bought a Nikon LS4000.
    >
    > I happened to email support at Minolta and after several weeks they got

    back
    > to me. A replacement lamp was £23 including postage. At that price I

    decided
    > to get the replacement lamp and now have 2 scanners.
    >
    > Part no for new light assembly is - 2886087701

    It does. Thanks.

    Minolta will also do a full service inc parts and labour for £117. But £23
    sounds even better. I take it it's easy to replace?

    David.
    David French, Aug 24, 2003
  4. Yes it is a straightforward job. Took about 15 mins.

    Graham Russell, Aug 25, 2003