    Do you other guys notice this? I'm using the latest Wasia hack, could that
    be a factor?

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Matt Ion Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    > Is it me, or does image playback--especially going from photo to photo or
    > the inital zoom-out to "thumbnail" view--work REALLY slowly on the Digital
    > Rebel? It's actually slower than my Nikon Coolpix 5700, even though the DR I
    > have has a SanDisk Ultra II card loaded & the CP5700 has an older 12x card
    > loaded.
    > Do you other guys notice this? I'm using the latest Wasia hack, could that
    > be a factor?

    Well now, it depends largely on the file type/size you're capturing to:
    a full-size RAW image will naturally take longer to shuffle to/from a
    card than a small, high-compression JPGs.

    Matt Ion, Nov 21, 2004

  3. "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote:

    > Is it me, or does image playback--especially going from photo to photo or
    > the inital zoom-out to "thumbnail" view--work REALLY slowly on the Digital
    > Rebel?

    It's not you. It's slow. See the CF card test speeds at the site below: the
    20D is well over three times faster. (I suspect that the 300D insists on
    writing and then reading the file back in for playback display. Sigh.)

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    > It's actually slower than my Nikon Coolpix 5700, even though the DR I
    > have has a SanDisk Ultra II card loaded & the CP5700 has an older 12x card
    > loaded.

    It's a lot faster for JPEG. But you really can't shoot JPEG given how good
    the RAW is. Sigh.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Follow-up--I shot today with the DR but I had just received my new SanDisk
    Ultra II card (had been using a 24x Lexar) and it does seem noticeably
    faster. Saving RAWs seems to go faster too.

    But anyway, while the 5700 is still more instaneous with going to thumbnail
    view and browsing JPEGs, the difference was nowhere near as noticeable today
    with the SanDisk Ultra II. (Earlier I mentioned the DR having the Sandisk
    but I may have still been using an older card, I JUST GOT the SanDisk.) I'm
    sure the Nikon D70 is still faster, but the DR didn't seem so very slow as
    it had before. And I must say--it really saves RAWs so much faster than the
    5700 does. RAW is WAY more usable with this camera than the 5700.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Nov 22, 2004