Image organizer software suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Crash Gordon, May 17, 2006.

  1. Crash Gordon

    Crash Gordon Guest

    Sorry, I know this has been asked a zillion times before, but I can't seem
    to find any of those threads right now.

    I can't seem to find a image organizer that works the way I'd like.
    After shooting a ton of pix, I like to quickly browse through them over and
    over, and EASILY & quickly mark outtakes for batch deletion. I need to do it
    quickly or I will never decide on which ones to dump. Then I adjust them in
    PS, so all I really need is an organizer of some sort.

    I've tried:
    PS Elements 3
    XnView
    IrFanview
    FastStone
    Olympus Master
    FineFixViewer

    They're all good but: Still not happy happy.
    Any others I should look at?

    TIA

    R.

    Crash Gordon, May 17, 2006

  2. Crash Gordon wrote:
    > Sorry, I know this has been asked a zillion times before, but I can't
    > seem to find any of those threads right now.
    >
    > I can't seem to find a image organizer that works the way I'd like.
    > After shooting a ton of pix, I like to quickly browse through them
    > over and over, and EASILY & quickly mark outtakes for batch deletion.
    > I need to do it quickly or I will never decide on which ones to dump.
    > Then I adjust them in PS, so all I really need is an organizer of
    > some sort.
    >
    > I've tried:
    > PS Elements 3
    > XnView
    > IrFanview
    > FastStone
    > Olympus Master
    > FineFixViewer
    >
    > They're all good but: Still not happy happy.
    > Any others I should look at?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > R.

    PS Elements Album (at least version 4.0) will do what you need. As I
    recall prior versions also would do it. I suspect several of the others
    will also.

    What I have found it that when you first start using these programs, it
    takes a long time to get to know them learn how they work. I have been with
    Elements since version 2.0 and I am still learning new features, some of
    which have been available all along. More than once I have found something
    I really really wish I had known about earlier.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, May 17, 2006

  3. (PeteCresswell), May 18, 2006
  4. Crash Gordon

    Mark² Guest

    Crash Gordon wrote:
    > Sorry, I know this has been asked a zillion times before, but I can't
    > seem to find any of those threads right now.
    >
    > I can't seem to find a image organizer that works the way I'd like.
    > After shooting a ton of pix, I like to quickly browse through them
    > over and over, and EASILY & quickly mark outtakes for batch deletion.
    > I need to do it quickly or I will never decide on which ones to dump.
    > Then I adjust them in PS, so all I really need is an organizer of
    > some sort.
    >
    > I've tried:
    > PS Elements 3
    > XnView
    > IrFanview
    > FastStone
    > Olympus Master
    > FineFixViewer
    >
    > They're all good but: Still not happy happy.
    > Any others I should look at?

    ACDSee from www.acdsystems.com

    You can rate images easily with 1-5 and an "x".
    Then you simply sort by the rating and delete them all if you like.
    I use this rating system to wittle collections down to what I will use for
    various projects.
    -Works a charm.

    Mark²

    Mark², May 18, 2006
  5. Crash Gordon

    cjcampbell Guest

    Crash Gordon wrote:
    > Sorry, I know this has been asked a zillion times before, but I can't seem
    > to find any of those threads right now.

    Picasa 2 is will probably do all you want, for free. An excellent
    program, easily the PC equivalent to iPhoto.

    Photoshop Album 4 has made some great improvements and it is worth
    looking at.

    If you want serious photo management software that will keep track of
    photos stored on even on other disks, etc., then you probably want
    something like Extensis Portfolio 8.0. It has no editing capabilities;
    it just organizes your photos. The one drawback is that there is a
    steep learning curve.

    Adobe Bridge that comes with PhotoShop CS2 is okay, but not worth the
    extra money over Photoshop Album.

    On Mac, iPhoto, of course. Beyond that, Aperture is the easiest program
    for rating and organizing your photos I have ever seen, with Lightroom
    (still in beta) a close second.

    But Portfolio 8.0 is what most of the pros use now.

    cjcampbell, May 18, 2006
  6. Crash Gordon

    Crash Gordon Guest

    Thanks guys!

    I've dl'd Extensis, ACDsee Pro and Thumb...so far I'm liking ACDsee Pro, but
    really haven't had enough time decide.

    Thanks again !

    Crash Gordon, May 18, 2006
  7. Crash Gordon

    Crash Gordon Guest

    Portfolio is a tad too pricey.
    ACDsee Pro is looking good so far, trying to convince myself it's worth a
    129 bucks though.

    Crash Gordon, May 21, 2006
  8. Crash Gordon

    Guest

    On Sat, 20 May 2006 20:54:30 -0700, "Crash Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >Portfolio is a tad too pricey.
    >ACDsee Pro is looking good so far, trying to convince myself it's worth a
    >129 bucks though.

    So why not get the cheaper ACDSee 8?

    MJ

    , May 25, 2006
  9. Crash Gordon

    Jack Guest

    Canon supply (free please check for which cameras) excellent really top
    quality powerful photo organising software as well as RAW processing
    software that is intuitive and has a very shallow learning curve.

    Digital Photo Professional V1.1.6
    Zoom Browser EX

    Jack, Jun 19, 2006