Image of the week 16-10

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dennis Pogson, Oct 21, 2006.

  1. Dennis Pogson, Oct 21, 2006

  2. Søren Thorsen, Oct 21, 2006

  3. Charles Schuler, Oct 21, 2006
  4. Dennis Pogson

    Frank ess Guest

    Frank ess, Oct 22, 2006
  5. Dennis Pogson

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:13:03 -0700, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >Dennis Pogson wrote:
    >> Søren Thorsen wrote:
    >>> Please have a look at my image of the week.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thorsen.info/Billedsider ugens billede/Ugens billede.htm
    >>>
    >>> Best regards
    >>> Søren Thorsen
    >>> www.thorsen.info

    >> It sure belies the advice "place the centre of interest on the
    >> intersection of the thirds!" Nice photo though!
    >>
    >> Dennis.

    >What does it mean, this "belies"?

    be·lie (b-l)
    tr.v. be·lied, be·ly·ing, be·lies

    1. To picture falsely; misrepresent: “He spoke roughly in order to
    belie his air of gentility” (James Joyce).
    2. To show to be false: Their laughter belied their outward grief.
    3. To be counter to; contradict: At first glance, life at the
    boarding school seemed to belie all the bad things I had heard about
    it.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Oct 22, 2006
  6. Dennis Pogson

    Frank ess Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:13:03 -0700, "Frank ess" <>
    > wrote:

    >>> It sure belies the advice "place the centre of interest on the
    >>> intersection of the thirds!" Nice photo though!
    >>>
    >>> Dennis.

    >> What does it mean, this "belies"?

    > be·lie (b-l)
    > tr.v. be·lied, be·ly·ing, be·lies
    >
    > 1. To picture falsely; misrepresent: "He spoke roughly in order to
    > belie his air of gentility" (James Joyce).
    > 2. To show to be false: Their laughter belied their outward grief.
    > 3. To be counter to; contradict: At first glance, life at the
    > boarding school seemed to belie all the bad things I had heard about
    > it.

    Ayuh.

    So, placing the centre (heh) of interest on the intersection of the
    thirds is false or contradicted; meaning the center-placed tree is
    AOK; so even though it is OK, it is a nice photo anyway.

    Kinda warped, my view.

    --
    Frank ess
    ¡Viva predisambiguatization!
    Frank ess, Oct 22, 2006
  7. Dennis Pogson

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:03:30 -0700, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:13:03 -0700, "Frank ess" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> What does it mean, this "belies"?

    >> be·lie (b-l)
    >> tr.v. be·lied, be·ly·ing, be·lies
    >>
    >> 1. To picture falsely; misrepresent: "He spoke roughly in order to
    >> belie his air of gentility" (James Joyce).
    >> 2. To show to be false: Their laughter belied their outward grief.
    >> 3. To be counter to; contradict: At first glance, life at the
    >> boarding school seemed to belie all the bad things I had heard about
    >> it.

    >Ayuh.
    >
    >So, placing the centre (heh) of interest on the intersection of the
    >thirds is false or contradicted; meaning the center-placed tree is
    >AOK; so even though it is OK, it is a nice photo anyway.

    I didn't get that reading. I read it to say, "It contradicts the rule
    of thirds."
    In photography, as in many thinbgs, breaking the "rules" is fine, if
    it works.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"