    that would just backup the data and burn it to a botable DVD disk? Or is
    this not a reliable way of doing this.

    Thanks in advance.

    Guest, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Guest

    Jerry G. Guest

    One of the best is Norton's Ghost. You need the version for your operating
    system. XP is very critical to the version issue. You will have to pay for
    it, but it is worth the price. It is not expensive for what you will gain.
    You can get this software from most computer dealers that sell software.
    Ghost also makes an emergency recovery disk, that allows the machine to
    start the recovery without having to re-install the operating system first.

    XP is very critical to its image, and if you do a standard backup, it will
    not work. Norton Ghost, will do the job, and it works.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    <> wrote in message news:3fdc0456$0$...
    I am looking for a freeware program that will make a ISO image of my
    Harddrive so that I can burn it to DVD for easy recovery.

    Basically I have just spent an entire afternoon reinstalling all the
    software and drivers. The PC is now set up exactly as I want it. I would
    like a back up of my HD on DVD so that I can just reinstall one disk.

    I have nero 5.5 but it does a sector for sector back up and only does it to
    CD which would take up 23 CD's for my 14G partition. Is there any program

    Jerry G., Dec 14, 2003

  3. Guest

    Drifter Guest

    >I am looking for a freeware program that will make a ISO image of my
    >Harddrive so that I can burn it to DVD for easy recovery.
    >
    >Basically I have just spent an entire afternoon reinstalling all the
    >software and drivers. The PC is now set up exactly as I want it. I would
    >like a back up of my HD on DVD so that I can just reinstall one disk.
    >
    >I have nero 5.5 but it does a sector for sector back up and only does it to
    >CD which would take up 23 CD's for my 14G partition. Is there any program
    >that would just backup the data and burn it to a botable DVD disk? Or is
    >this not a reliable way of doing this.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    I don't know about freeware (in point of fact I'm not sure I'd trust
    data recovery issues to freeware). But I used to use Norton Ghost and
    it works okay. These days however I use Acronis Trueimage
    http://www.acronis.com/
    During the install it prompts you to create a bootable CD that you can
    use to recover later. It also runs from windows itself (thus you
    don't have to exit windows to create your image, although you can do
    so if you want).

    Drifter

    Drifter, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Guest

    Bickle Guest

    "Jerry G." <> skrev i meddelandet
    > One of the best is Norton's Ghost. You need the version for your

    operating
    > system. XP is very critical to the version issue. You will have to pay

    for
    > it, but it is worth the price. It is not expensive for what you will gain.
    > You can get this software from most computer dealers that sell software.
    > Ghost also makes an emergency recovery disk, that allows the machine to
    > start the recovery without having to re-install the operating system

    first.

    > XP is very critical to its image, and if you do a standard backup, it will
    > not work. Norton Ghost, will do the job, and it works.

    Norton Ghost is incompatible with Partition Magic. If you are using PMagic I
    recommend you try Drive Image, also from PowerQuest. It's similar to Norton
    Ghost. Not freeware, though.

    Bickle, Dec 15, 2003