Image handling D70 advice please?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stephent, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. stephent

    stephent Guest

    Hi,
    Having had lots of good advice on this group re my first dSLR, I am now a
    proud owner of a Nikon D70.
    It came with the 18-70 lens and I'm awaiting delivery of the 105 macro one.

    What I would like to know please is what people on here think is the best
    way to download/process images from the camera to computer.

    During the summer I will be taking several hundreds,(perhaps thousands) of
    pictures of archaeological artefacts/site-shots/landscapes, and will need to
    catalogue them accurately.

    I will need a high quality 'master' image of all, and therefore presumably I
    need to use the RAW setting, RAW BASIC, I don't think, would be of any
    advantage. I have the software which shipped with the camera, but also
    Photoshop7, which I am obviously much more familiar with. Do I need the
    camera software at all - or can I use PS only? With my old digital camera I
    saved all my master images in Tiff, should I still do that?

    File size is not really an issue as I will have ready access to laptops
    on-site, but I would really appreciate advice on how to carry out the above
    process as smoothly/efficiently as possible please - Thanks to all who can
    help.

    Regards,
    Steve.

    --
    Regards,
    Steve Thomas

    stephent, Apr 7, 2005

  2. stephent

    Boch Guest

    For me: I always make sure every new batch has a unique name and date/After
    downloading/Separate folders on a backup drive is made. then the pictures in
    their un-touched form are saved...Last/3 times a year they a burnt on DVD...

    --
    _________________-
    BOCH

    Boch, Apr 7, 2005

  3. stephent

    Bigguy Guest

    One suggestion...

    Transfer files from CF card to PC using USB2 CF reader (shoot RAW format).

    Save .NEFs in new directory named by date/subject.

    Use Nikon Capture Editor v4.2.1 to process .NEF(RAW) files... save as jpegs
    (or TIFF if you have lots of disc space!).

    OR use Adobe Capture RAW plugin and Photoshop CS to process .NEF files...

    Usual processing includes...
    Check/adjust levels via histogram, fine adjust colour temp, increase
    saturation a tad, sharpen a little, save as jpeg.

    Both programs do the job, but lately I have come to prefer Nikon Capture
    (despite it being rather slow)... YMMV

    How do other people do their stuff?

    Guy

    http://www.guytittley.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Gallery/album/index.html Nikon
    D70 + Nikon Capture + Porta http://www.stegmann.dk/mikkel/porta/

    Bigguy, Apr 7, 2005
  4. stephent

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 07:08:46 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "stephent"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Having had lots of good advice on this group re my first dSLR, I am now a
    >proud owner of a Nikon D70.
    >It came with the 18-70 lens and I'm awaiting delivery of the 105 macro one.
    >
    >What I would like to know please is what people on here think is the best
    >way to download/process images from the camera to computer.
    >
    >During the summer I will be taking several hundreds,(perhaps thousands) of
    >pictures of archaeological artefacts/site-shots/landscapes, and will need to
    >catalogue them accurately.
    >
    >I will need a high quality 'master' image of all, and therefore presumably I
    >need to use the RAW setting, RAW BASIC, I don't think, would be of any
    >advantage. I have the software which shipped with the camera, but also
    >Photoshop7, which I am obviously much more familiar with. Do I need the
    >camera software at all - or can I use PS only? With my old digital camera I
    >saved all my master images in Tiff, should I still do that?
    >
    >File size is not really an issue as I will have ready access to laptops
    >on-site, but I would really appreciate advice on how to carry out the above
    >process as smoothly/efficiently as possible please - Thanks to all who can
    >help.

    The supplied software will install a plugin that gives you limited control
    over the raw conversion process in PS7. One question, do you intend to
    process each image by hand or do you need the ability to batch convert?
    This may leave Nikon Capture (you should have a 30 day demo) as your only
    solution, as I am unaware of any other converter that allows batch
    conversion. If doing this you could then just use Capture to batch convert
    and just shoot raw as well. There are other converters on the market, ACR
    for PSCS, Capture One, etc. A new entry to the field, Raw Shooter
    Essentials has a free demo (not time limited) at
    http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Apr 7, 2005
  5. stephent

    stephent Guest

    I don't really mind having to process each image individually. I will
    probably have between 20 to 30 images a day, of which 6 - 10 will need to be
    kept as Tiff's for possible publication, with the others just high quality
    jpegs, for more general work/web, so batching is not essential.

    How would the cost of upgrade from PS7 to CS compare with a licence for the
    Nikon Capture software compare please?

    Steve.

    stephent, Apr 7, 2005
  6. On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 05:53:57 -0400, Ed Ruf <>
    wrote:

    (cut)
    > (...) as I am unaware of any other converter that allows batch
    >conversion.

    I will recommend to have a look at Bibble Pro, which is very good at
    batch converting:

    http://www.bibblelabs.com/

    >If doing this you could then just use Capture to batch convert
    >and just shoot raw as well. There are other converters on the market, ACR
    >for PSCS, Capture One, etc. A new entry to the field, Raw Shooter
    >Essentials has a free demo (not time limited) at
    >http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html

    The Rawshooter Essentials works very fine with D70 NEFs.

    -espen
    --
    All generalisering er farlig
    http://www.seland.org/

    Espen Stranger Seland, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Elements 3 with RAW plug-in works a treat with my D70.

    John Taverner, Apr 7, 2005
  8. stephent

    Owamanga Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:07:32 GMT, "stephent" <>
    wrote:

    >I don't really mind having to process each image individually. I will
    >probably have between 20 to 30 images a day, of which 6 - 10 will need to be
    >kept as Tiff's for possible publication, with the others just high quality
    >jpegs, for more general work/web, so batching is not essential.

    30 Images a day, and you'll process them on a daily basis. There is no
    reason not to shoot RAW+BASIC, rather than just RAW because space
    consideration isn't going to be a problem.

    Basic JPEGs are handy for fast reviewing in software that can't read
    NEF files directly.

    You need to think hard about your cataloging system before you start
    shooting (filenaming convention). My preference is in *addition* to
    naming the directory based on the roll-number_month_year_description,
    I also want the individual files renamed as roll-number_frame-number,
    so that a file can be taken out of the directory structure (emailed,
    printed, whatever) and still be quickly identified based on it's
    filename alone.

    In my case a roll-number is a full-ish 1Gb CF card or a discrete
    project, which is freshly formatted before use, and the camera starts
    at shot DSC_0001 each time. After DL'ing a card, I do:

    RENAME DSC_*.* 045_*.* (Example for roll 45)

    this gives me filenames like 045_0023.NEF

    In a directory called:

    Set045_Apr_2005_Key_West_Sunset

    Your system will need to be different, maybe using week numbers, day
    numbers or something that helps the cataloging a bit better. You will
    also want to look into an image database that can use EXIF tags or
    similar to record keywords against each image. This will allow fast
    extraction of a related set of images.

    >How would the cost of upgrade from PS7 to CS compare with a licence for the
    >Nikon Capture software compare please?

    Dunno, I DL'd the trial for Nikon Capture (to play with remote
    control) and found the RAW importer to be really clunky and slow
    compared to the Photoshop one.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Apr 7, 2005
  9. stephent

    JR Guest

    I shoot RAW then process and convert in Photoshop CS....I use Nikon View
    to convert them to jpg's for clients to review. It can do an entire
    photo at a time, and if I am in the studio I can be doing it while I
    shoot.....I may start shooting RAW+jpg to eliminate the conversion
    process....

    JR
    http://www.shuttereddreams.com

    JR, Apr 7, 2005
  10. stephent

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:07:32 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "stephent"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't really mind having to process each image individually. I will
    >probably have between 20 to 30 images a day, of which 6 - 10 will need to be
    >kept as Tiff's for possible publication, with the others just high quality
    >jpegs, for more general work/web, so batching is not essential.
    >
    >How would the cost of upgrade from PS7 to CS compare with a licence for the
    >Nikon Capture software compare please?

    Capture is on the order of $100, legally. Usable passwords may be found on
    some warez sites.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Apr 7, 2005
  11. stephent

    ecm Guest

    I have used Irfanview to batch convert Canon dRebel RAW files to TIFF -
    it worked fine, limited only by the power of the system I did it on. Of
    course, this was only for some snapshots, not art shots or anything. I
    did a bit of adjusting after, but it was a very relaxing workflow,
    compared to some I've heard described. For documentation pics, like the
    OP is doing, the actual quality of the color, noise and so forth isn't
    as important as the accuracy of the image, so batch conversion should
    be OK, IMHO.

    I wouldn't recommend storing the pics in Nikon RAW format alone, BTW.
    You'll want a format that'll stand the test of time a bit better, ie,
    one that won't be hopelessly out of date in 10 -20 years. Who knows
    what'll be available to view those .NEF pics then? I'd recommend
    converting to something very common like TIFF or high quality JPEG for
    archiving - there should be lots of viewers available even in 50 years.

    ECM

    ecm, Apr 7, 2005
  12. stephent

    Sheldon Guest

    Don't forget, you can download an XP thumbnail viewer off the Nikon site.
    This will allow you to see your NEF files in XP folders regardless of what
    software you choose to work it.

    I use an old copy of Photoshop LE to massage jpeg files, and Nikon View to
    convert them. I also have Capture, which will allow you to upload custom
    curves to your camera, and it's actually a fairly powerful program, but it
    ain't Photoshop.

    Sheldon, Apr 8, 2005
  13. stephent

    stephent Guest

    Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it.
    Steve.

    stephent, Apr 8, 2005
  14. stephent

    Ken Tough Guest

    ecm <> wrote:

    >I wouldn't recommend storing the pics in Nikon RAW format alone, BTW.
    >You'll want a format that'll stand the test of time a bit better, ie,
    >one that won't be hopelessly out of date in 10 -20 years. Who knows
    >what'll be available to view those .NEF pics then? I'd recommend
    >converting to something very common like TIFF or high quality JPEG for
    >archiving - there should be lots of viewers available even in 50 years.

    A high-quality JPG would be worth having, but it does require you to
    go through and adjust for the best pic you can squeeze out of it.
    It's a fair assumption that photoshop's own format will be usable in
    20 years time too [given the immense usership of the programme],
    and if you're using that to convert you'll have it ready for saving
    in their own format already. I don't know if you stand to lose
    anything by PSP->TIFF?

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Apr 8, 2005
  15. stephent

    tomm101 Guest

    CS2 is $149 from Photoshop 7 (advetised as any ver of Photoshop). Go
    the RAW route. Just be careful and name (info & date) your folders.
    Have a couple of 1GB high speed cards (Lexar 80X are good) and use a
    USB 2 reader. Always have your pics on 2 separate media.

    Tom

    tomm101, Apr 8, 2005
  16. stephent

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 7 Apr 2005 15:08:24 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "ecm"
    <> wrote:

    >I wouldn't recommend storing the pics in Nikon RAW format alone, BTW.
    >You'll want a format that'll stand the test of time a bit better, ie,
    >one that won't be hopelessly out of date in 10 -20 years.

    As if in 20 years you could read whatever media used to store the files,
    come on. IF your files are something to care about you need to verify them
    yearly and move then to whatever new media becomes the standard. Similar
    with formats, imo.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Apr 9, 2005
  17. stephent

    Shawn Hearn Guest

    In article <2055e.12744$>,
    "stephent" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Having had lots of good advice on this group re my first dSLR, I am now a
    > proud owner of a Nikon D70.
    > It came with the 18-70 lens and I'm awaiting delivery of the 105 macro one.
    >
    > What I would like to know please is what people on here think is the best
    > way to download/process images from the camera to computer.
    >
    > During the summer I will be taking several hundreds,(perhaps thousands) of
    > pictures of archaeological artefacts/site-shots/landscapes, and will need to
    > catalogue them accurately.

    Buy a firewire card reader for your computer. If you don't have a
    firewire port on your computer, you can add one for a nominal cost
    by buying a firewire PCI card.

    Shawn Hearn, Apr 10, 2005
  18. stephent

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Shawn Hearn" <> wrote in message
    > In article <2055e.12744$>,
    > "stephent" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Having had lots of good advice on this group re my first dSLR, I am now a
    >> proud owner of a Nikon D70.
    >> It came with the 18-70 lens and I'm awaiting delivery of the 105 macro
    >> one.
    >>
    >> What I would like to know please is what people on here think is the best
    >> way to download/process images from the camera to computer.
    >>
    >> During the summer I will be taking several hundreds,(perhaps thousands)
    >> of
    >> pictures of archaeological artefacts/site-shots/landscapes, and will need
    >> catalogue them accurately.

    > Buy a firewire card reader for your computer. If you don't have a
    > firewire port on your computer, you can add one for a nominal cost
    > by buying a firewire PCI card.

    Or if you have USB2 on your machine, buy a USB2 card reader. For this
    purpose, it is just as fast and no need for the card.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 10, 2005