Image gallery programs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hey guys

    Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
    gallerys for on the web

    Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
    (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)

    It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect

    Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it wasnt

    The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
    automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
    feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
    webserver

    I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
    time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
    found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the gallery,
    as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows to
    accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
    photos that are portrait too

    Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet

    After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program, Rather
    then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you guys and
    try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better :)

    Andrew, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Andrew

    XPD Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Hey guys
    >
    > Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
    > gallerys for on the web
    >
    > Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
    > (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
    >
    > It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
    >
    > Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it
    > wasnt
    >
    > The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
    > automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
    > feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
    > webserver
    >
    > I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name.. time
    > the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have found that
    > when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the gallery, as in its
    > not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows to accomodate the fact
    > that ive used more space - it does the same with photos that are portrait
    > too
    >
    > Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
    >
    > After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program, Rather
    > then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you guys and try
    > the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better :)

    www.ornj.net
    Web Album Generator

    Ive been using it for ages now and been happy with it.

    XPD, Jan 26, 2006

  3. Andrew

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:23:12 +1300, Andrew <> wrote:

    >Hey guys
    >
    >Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
    >gallerys for on the web
    >
    >Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
    >(http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
    >
    >It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
    >
    >Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it wasnt
    >
    >The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
    >automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
    >feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
    >webserver
    >
    >I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
    >time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
    >found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the gallery,
    >as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows to
    >accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
    >photos that are portrait too
    >
    >Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
    >
    >After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program, Rather
    >then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you guys and
    >try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better :)

    Google's Picasa 2 is one of the best i've seen, and it's free.

    Craig Shore, Jan 26, 2006
  4. Andrew

    Crains Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Hey guys
    >
    > Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
    > gallerys for on the web
    >
    > Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
    > (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
    >
    > It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
    >
    > Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it
    > wasnt
    > The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
    > automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
    > feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
    > webserver
    >
    > I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
    > time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
    > found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the
    > gallery, as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows
    > to accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
    > photos that are portrait too
    >
    > Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
    >
    > After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program,
    > Rather then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you
    > guys and try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better
    > :)

    Have you got PHP MySQL on your server? if you do the best by far is
    Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php)

    Crains, Jan 26, 2006
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Crains wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> Hey guys
    >>
    >> Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
    >> gallerys for on the web
    >>
    >> Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
    >> (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
    >>
    >> It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
    >>
    >> Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it
    >> wasnt
    >> The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
    >> automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
    >> feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
    >> webserver
    >>
    >> I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
    >> time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
    >> found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the
    >> gallery, as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows
    >> to accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
    >> photos that are portrait too
    >>
    >> Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
    >>
    >> After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program,
    >> Rather then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you
    >> guys and try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better
    >> :)

    > Have you got PHP MySQL on your server? if you do the best by far is
    > Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php)

    THanks, But there is no php or sql running, Just basic html webserver

    I want the gallery program to produce all the html pages - saved into a
    specific folder which is linked to the webserver

    Andrew, Jan 26, 2006
  6. Andrew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Crains wrote:
    >> Andrew wrote:
    >>> Hey guys
    >>>
    >>> Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
    >>> gallerys for on the web
    >>>
    >>> Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
    >>> (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
    >>>
    >>> It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
    >>>
    >>> Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it
    >>> wasnt
    >>> The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
    >>> automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
    >>> feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
    >>> webserver
    >>>
    >>> I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
    >>> time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
    >>> found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the
    >>> gallery, as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows
    >>> to accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
    >>> photos that are portrait too
    >>>
    >>> Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
    >>>
    >>> After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program,
    >>> Rather then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you
    >>> guys and try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always
    >>> better :)

    >> Have you got PHP MySQL on your server? if you do the best by far is
    >> Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php)
    >>

    > THanks, But there is no php or sql running, Just basic html webserver
    >
    > I want the gallery program to produce all the html pages - saved into a
    > specific folder which is linked to the webserver

    Gallery Constructor 2.0, I'm sure I've tried just about every gallery
    builder available (about a year ago) and Gallery Constructor was best by
    miles - good workflow (lots of plugins), lots of templates, no need for
    PHP or MySQL, only static hosting - in fact, gallery will even run from
    a CDROM.

    Java, but runs well. Free.

    http://www.through-the-lens.net/

    Part of my own gallery (not demonstrating what GC is capable of, though)

    http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photographs/Travel/index.html

    HTH

    -=rjh=-, Jan 26, 2006
  7. Andrew

    JC Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Crains wrote:

    >>> Have you got PHP MySQL on your server? if you do the best by far is
    >>> Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php)
    >>>

    >> THanks, But there is no php or sql running, Just basic html webserver
    >>
    >> I want the gallery program to produce all the html pages - saved into
    >> a specific folder which is linked to the webserver

    > Gallery Constructor 2.0, I'm sure I've tried just about every gallery
    > builder available (about a year ago) and Gallery Constructor was best by
    > miles - good workflow (lots of plugins), lots of templates, no need for
    > PHP or MySQL, only static hosting - in fact, gallery will even run from
    > a CDROM.
    >
    > Java, but runs well. Free.
    >
    > http://www.through-the-lens.net/
    >
    > Part of my own gallery (not demonstrating what GC is capable of, though)
    >
    > http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photographs/Travel/index.html
    >
    > HTH

    Where abouts is the shed in your gallery?
    http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photographs/Travel/New Zealand/experimental143-tweaked.html

    JC, Jan 26, 2006
  8. Andrew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    JC wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Andrew wrote:

    >>> THanks, But there is no php or sql running, Just basic html webserver
    >>>
    >>> I want the gallery program to produce all the html pages - saved into
    >>> a specific folder which is linked to the webserver

    >> Gallery Constructor 2.0, I'm sure I've tried just about every gallery
    >> builder available (about a year ago) and Gallery Constructor was best
    >> by miles - good workflow (lots of plugins), lots of templates, no need
    >> for PHP or MySQL, only static hosting - in fact, gallery will even run
    >> from a CDROM.
    >>
    >> Java, but runs well. Free.
    >>
    >> http://www.through-the-lens.net/
    >>
    >> Part of my own gallery (not demonstrating what GC is capable of, though)
    >>
    >> http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photographs/Travel/index.html
    >>
    >> HTH

    > Where abouts is the shed in your gallery?
    > http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photographs/Travel/New Zealand/experimental143-tweaked.html

    Was - it was taken some time ago, it may have fallen down now :) Not
    sure, but I think Dunedin or nearby, but possibly Catlins.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 27, 2006