    I would think the camera would need some type of NVRAM that stores the
    number but can't imagine what went wrong with my camera to change the
    numbers.
    BR549, Jul 14, 2011

  2. BR549

    nospam Guest

    In article <ivnjag$ci3$>, BR549 <>
    wrote:

    > Anyone know how a digital camera manages to keep track of the picture
    > numbering scheme it has? Even after taking the batteries out of my digital
    > camera it still knows what the next sequential number is to use. My reason
    > for asking is that I have a Kodak digital that has started using numbers
    > that are lower than what were being used before. A week or so ago I took
    > some pictures and the numbering scheme was in the 100_1190.jpg range while I
    > have a picture on the computer taken with the same camera in 2007 and it's
    > file name is 100_1206.jpg. I also have pictures taken in February of this
    > year numbered 101_0574.jpg.
    > I would think the camera would need some type of NVRAM that stores the
    > number but can't imagine what went wrong with my camera to change the
    > numbers.

    it saves the number, however, if you inserted a card with one or more
    images on it, it will continue from there.
    nospam, Jul 14, 2011

  3. BR549

    Peter Chant Guest

    BR549 wrote:

    > I would think the camera would need some type of NVRAM that stores the
    > number but can't imagine what went wrong with my camera to change the
    > numbers.

    Perhaps when it gets to a certain number it rolls back to 1 or 0?

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk
    Peter Chant, Jul 14, 2011
  4. BR549

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Peter Chant
    <> wrote:

    > > I would think the camera would need some type of NVRAM that stores the
    > > number but can't imagine what went wrong with my camera to change the
    > > numbers.

    > Perhaps when it gets to a certain number it rolls back to 1 or 0?

    that too.
    nospam, Jul 14, 2011
  5. BR549

    BR549 Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ivnjag$ci3$>, BR549 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know how a digital camera manages to keep track of the picture
    >> numbering scheme it has? Even after taking the batteries out of my
    >> digital
    >> camera it still knows what the next sequential number is to use. My
    >> reason
    >> for asking is that I have a Kodak digital that has started using numbers
    >> that are lower than what were being used before. A week or so ago I took
    >> some pictures and the numbering scheme was in the 100_1190.jpg range
    >> while I
    >> have a picture on the computer taken with the same camera in 2007 and
    >> it's
    >> file name is 100_1206.jpg. I also have pictures taken in February of
    >> this
    >> year numbered 101_0574.jpg.
    >> I would think the camera would need some type of NVRAM that stores the
    >> number but can't imagine what went wrong with my camera to change the
    >> numbers.

    > it saves the number, however, if you inserted a card with one or more
    > images on it, it will continue from there.

    I'm aware it saves the numbers, that's my basic question, how and where does
    it save that number. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the SD
    card and what's on it. I installed a blank card in my camera and took some
    test shots, the numbers of the pictures I just took were numbered 100_1147,
    48 and 49. I then installed an SD card that hadn't been in the camera since
    July of last year with around 120 pics on it, numbers on the pictures ended
    in 100_0916. I took 3 test shots and the pictures were number 100_1150, 51
    and 52 so it has nothing at all to do with the SD card and what's on it, at
    least not on this Kodak Z612.
    I don't know if all digital cameras operate the same way in regard to saving
    the picture number assigned but once again, does anyone know how a digital
    camera keeps track of the pictures?
    BR549, Jul 14, 2011
  6. BR549

    nospam Guest

    In article <ivnnch$7tr$>, BR549 <>
    wrote:

    > > it saves the number, however, if you inserted a card with one or more
    > > images on it, it will continue from there.

    > I'm aware it saves the numbers, that's my basic question, how and where does
    > it save that number. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the SD
    > card and what's on it. I installed a blank card in my camera and took some
    > test shots, the numbers of the pictures I just took were numbered 100_1147,
    > 48 and 49. I then installed an SD card that hadn't been in the camera since
    > July of last year with around 120 pics on it, numbers on the pictures ended
    > in 100_0916. I took 3 test shots and the pictures were number 100_1150, 51
    > and 52 so it has nothing at all to do with the SD card and what's on it, at
    > least not on this Kodak Z612.
    > I don't know if all digital cameras operate the same way in regard to saving
    > the picture number assigned but once again, does anyone know how a digital
    > camera keeps track of the pictures?

    it stores the last number somewhere in the camera, however, some
    cameras will start with the last picture on an inserted card. yours
    does not seem to do that, so i don't know why yours changed sequence.
    nospam, Jul 14, 2011
  7. BR549

    OG Guest

    On 14/07/2011 21:24, BR549 wrote:
    > Anyone know how a digital camera manages to keep track of the picture
    > numbering scheme it has? Even after taking the batteries out of my digital
    > camera it still knows what the next sequential number is to use. My reason
    > for asking is that I have a Kodak digital that has started using numbers
    > that are lower than what were being used before. A week or so ago I took
    > some pictures and the numbering scheme was in the 100_1190.jpg range while I
    > have a picture on the computer taken with the same camera in 2007 and it's
    > file name is 100_1206.jpg. I also have pictures taken in February of this
    > year numbered 101_0574.jpg.
    > I would think the camera would need some type of NVRAM that stores the
    > number but can't imagine what went wrong with my camera to change the
    > numbers.

    Maybe an internal battery discharged (your camera is 4 years old) and it
    reset the numbers to 100_000

    Or maybe someone has reset the menu option for numbering from
    'consecutive' to 'reset'.

    I use Bulk Rename Utility to rename my photos; it can read the exif and
    use that to re-write the file name.

    www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk
    OG, Jul 15, 2011
  8. BR549

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 14/07/2011 23:03, nospam wrote:
    > In article<ivnnch$7tr$>, BR549<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> it saves the number, however, if you inserted a card with one or more
    >>> images on it, it will continue from there.

    >> I'm aware it saves the numbers, that's my basic question, how and where does
    >> it save that number. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the SD
    >> card and what's on it. I installed a blank card in my camera and took some
    >> test shots, the numbers of the pictures I just took were numbered 100_1147,
    >> 48 and 49. I then installed an SD card that hadn't been in the camera since
    >> July of last year with around 120 pics on it, numbers on the pictures ended
    >> in 100_0916. I took 3 test shots and the pictures were number 100_1150, 51
    >> and 52 so it has nothing at all to do with the SD card and what's on it, at
    >> least not on this Kodak Z612.
    >> I don't know if all digital cameras operate the same way in regard to saving
    >> the picture number assigned but once again, does anyone know how a digital
    >> camera keeps track of the pictures?

    > it stores the last number somewhere in the camera, however, some
    > cameras will start with the last picture on an inserted card. yours
    > does not seem to do that, so i don't know why yours changed sequence.

    The camera keeps its internal settings and image tag number usually in a
    small amount of flash memory that does not require power to remember.

    Some wrap around at 10000 shots or 100000 shots depending on the number
    of digits they allow in the IMGnnnnn.JPG type string.

    My camera has an option to reset counter to zero but I would never dream
    of doing it as I use the tag number to reference source images in any
    derived work. This became slightly ambiguous after the counter wrapped
    around (which took about 5 years). There are not that many of my shots
    from that era which are still in use, but there are a few.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jul 15, 2011
  9. BR549

    BR549 Guest

    "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On 14/07/2011 23:03, nospam wrote:

    >>> I'm aware it saves the numbers, that's my basic question, how and where
    >>> does
    >>> it save that number. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the
    >>> SD
    >>> card and what's on it. I installed a blank card in my camera and took
    >>> some
    >>> test shots, the numbers of the pictures I just took were numbered
    >>> 100_1147,
    >>> 48 and 49. I then installed an SD card that hadn't been in the camera
    >>> since
    >>> July of last year with around 120 pics on it, numbers on the pictures
    >>> ended
    >>> in 100_0916. I took 3 test shots and the pictures were number 100_1150,
    >>> 51
    >>> and 52 so it has nothing at all to do with the SD card and what's on it,
    >>> at
    >>> least not on this Kodak Z612.
    >>> I don't know if all digital cameras operate the same way in regard to
    >>> saving
    >>> the picture number assigned but once again, does anyone know how a
    >>> digital
    >>> camera keeps track of the pictures?

    >> it stores the last number somewhere in the camera, however, some
    >> cameras will start with the last picture on an inserted card. yours
    >> does not seem to do that, so i don't know why yours changed sequence.

    > The camera keeps its internal settings and image tag number usually in a
    > small amount of flash memory that does not require power to remember.
    >
    > Some wrap around at 10000 shots or 100000 shots depending on the number of
    > digits they allow in the IMGnnnnn.JPG type string.
    >
    > My camera has an option to reset counter to zero but I would never dream
    > of doing it as I use the tag number to reference source images in any
    > derived work. This became slightly ambiguous after the counter wrapped
    > around (which took about 5 years). There are not that many of my shots
    > from that era which are still in use, but there are a few.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin Brown

    I suspected some type of memory not requiring power was keeping track of the
    numbers. I guess that I must have experienced some type of failure of that
    memory and that changed the numbering scheme on my camera. My camera
    doesn't have the ability to reset the tag number, at least I can't find
    anything about that capability in the manual of the camera. Not so sure I
    would reset it back to zero anyway. I typically offload my pictures into
    folders I create representative of the pictures such as birthdays, vacation
    places, cities visited, etc so duplicate file names would normally not be a
    problem but could be.
    Thanks for your input.
    BR549, Jul 15, 2011
  10. BR549

    John Turco Guest

    BR549 wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > I installed a blank card in my camera and took some test shots, the numbers of
    > the pictures I just took were numbered 100_1147, 48 and 49. I then installed
    > an SD card that hadn't been in the camera since July of last year with around
    > 120 pics on it, numbers on the pictures ended in 100_0916. I took 3 test shots
    > and the pictures were number 100_1150, 51 and 52 so it has nothing at all to
    > do with the SD card and what's on it, at least not on this Kodak Z612. I don't
    > know if all digital cameras operate the same way in regard to saving the picture
    > number assigned but once again, does anyone know how a digital camera keeps track
    > of the pictures?

    After reaching 10,000 files, my Kodak "P850" started over. Its last shot is named
    "100_8701.JPG" -- meaning that this digicam is approaching 19,000, total.

    (The P850 is easily my most-used camera, ever.)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 19, 2011