    as it might have occurred.

    Does anyone know of any software that might help me out?

    Thanks.
    Chris, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Chris

    RSD99 Guest

    He was using some special software, plus a bit of that well-known Hollywood ingredient ...
    aka Faking-it (or ... never let the real world interfere with a story line ...)!

    For an idea about some of the special software that is available to Law Enforcement ...
    try your local search engine, and a search term such as
    photo identification composite software police

    Some 'Hits' include ...

    http://www.mshel.com/ima.html
    http://www.dejazebra.tigersbreath.com/police.htm#faces
    http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/jan2001/yoshino.htm
    http://www.iwsinc.com/LawEnforcement.cfm
    http://www.ddsi-cpc.com/productsmain.htm
    http://www.efit.co.uk/main.html
    http://eyewitness.utep.edu/composites.html

    RSD99, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Chris

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote:

    >I've just been goofing off with my new (and first-time use) Photoshop.
    >
    >I'm loving it so far. However, I've been kind of interested if there is
    >some variant, either professional or "freeware", that you can use to
    >digitally age a person, or regress backwards, or alter various aspects, akin
    >to the police sketching techniques?
    >
    >I was watching lastnight's CSI when Stokes took the half-face capture from a
    >surveillance camera and managed to alter it to get a whole face. I am
    >intrigued by the possibility of learning how the criminal analysis people go
    >about digitally recreating faces, bodies, and various aspects of the crime
    >as it might have occurred.

    Didn't see that episode. But as someone mentioned, Hollywood will sit
    an actor down in front of a blank screen, and demand 'reaction shots'.
    Listen to the voice over commentary on Contact, for example. Or one
    remembers the infamous scene of Scotty and his 'transparent aluminum'
    on an underpowered Mac in the ST IV (great film). One doesn't really
    think all those mixing board sliders at 'helm control' did anything
    other than slide?

    You can understand the actors, and in some moods the audience, desire
    for simple 'talkies' without any noticeable f/x. Keep it 'real'.

    There are a lot of demo programs for animation, rendering (I don't
    know if Pixar's Renderman has a demo, but the program is industry
    standard), match moving and the rest. You can download them for free.
    But to reconstruct an image without information, one needs more
    information. Maybe one could account with a known noise profile from
    the camera, and filter that out. I don't know. But, generally, to
    reconstruct a face, you'd need more than one frame. _Maybe_ that would
    help. Otherwise, you're just making it up.
    Mark Johnson, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Chris

    Linda_N Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I've just been goofing off with my new (and first-time use) Photoshop.
    >
    > I'm loving it so far. However, I've been kind of interested if there is
    > some variant, either professional or "freeware", that you can use to
    > digitally age a person, or regress backwards, or alter various aspects,

    akin
    > to the police sketching techniques?
    >
    > I was watching lastnight's CSI when Stokes took the half-face capture from

    > surveillance camera and managed to alter it to get a whole face. I am
    > intrigued by the possibility of learning how the criminal analysis people

    go
    > about digitally recreating faces, bodies, and various aspects of the crime
    > as it might have occurred.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any software that might help me out?
    >

    > Thanks.

    Hi Chris,

    PS would not have a hope in heck of doing what Stokes did on that episode.
    He was using a 3D Mod program that allowed him to construct a 3d model from
    a starter scan of a 2D image. I can also assure you that he did not do that
    the 10 minutes they showed on the show, then again the real CSI does not
    solve a crime in an hour either...sometimes it takes months, sometimes
    years.

    In Canada the RCMP and CISIS do use PS to do some parts swapping and minor
    retouching when doing a 2D composite, but they have a whole library of
    noses, mouths, chins, eyes, hair, crainial shapes to start with and someone
    who saw the suspect picks out what they think looks closest to his/her
    facial features. Then some minor smoothing is done to blend the new parts. A
    kind of under use of PS.

    There are a few freeware (well you can use them free for education but never
    for profit) 3D programs that are excellent, but be aware that 3D is a whole
    science in itself. I can take years to get good enough to make a convincing
    human model (until you are a pro and then it becomes days) and you really
    have to know a lot of terms commonly used in geometry, as well as a whole 3D
    industry language.

    The best is probably Maya by Alias (has free Educational version for
    non-commercial use for Win 2000 and XP Pro (no not Home) for students and
    teachers (download is free but on cd with e-book is $20 approx) for free.)
    http://www.alias.com/eng/index.shtml
    It is the same software used to create the digitals in The Lord of the
    Rings: ROK

    Some would still debate that 3D Max Studio is still the Queen of 3D:
    http://www.discreet.com/3dsmax/

    Linda
    Linda_N, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Chris

    Hils Guest

    Mark Johnson wrote (among other things)

    >Otherwise, you're just making it up.

    And perish the thought that government agencies might do that... :)

    --
    Hil
    Hils, Feb 7, 2004
  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Also, what about the digital age progression/regression software?

    I think it might be interesting to take some of our family photos,
    digitized, and see what they might have looked like if things were slightly
    different.
    Chris, Feb 7, 2004