Image Data Base - Again.. Yawn!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris McBrien, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. The images on my hard discs are organised by Device, Year, Month,
    Number.
    Like this...

    D:
    FlatBed
    1953
    A-January
    01-Cat
    xx-xxx
    99-House

    B-February
    01-Tree
    02-Kids

    DigitalCamera
    1998
    A-January
    01-Mountain
    02-Snow

    B-February

    L-December
    01-Party
    02-Car

    35mmSlide
    1974
    A-January
    01-Hotel
    02-Boat

    35mmNegative
    1974
    ......and so on.......

    From this you can guess that I have a FlatBed scanner a 35mm
    Slide/Negative scanner and a Digital Camera.

    The A-January, B-February...... to L-December is a method I think
    I invented for keeping the months in chronological order instaed of
    alphabetical order. I also considered 99 Images per month to be
    sufficient. I've been proven wrong there with the digital camera and
    have used three digits here to give me coverage to 999. This does
    have the advantage that you do NOT have to keep thinking up different
    names for each image like...

    DogLeftPawUp
    DogRightLegUp

    ..... you can just use...

    09-Dog
    10-Dog
    11-Dog
    ........ the changing number giving the file name it's uniqueness.

    Having bored you to tears so far, my question is!!!....

    What words do I have to enter into the EXIF or IPTC data section
    so that the image(s) can be sorted by one of these image database
    programs? Should I put words like.... United Kingdom, Yorkshire,
    Knareborough, Holiday, Volvo, Daniel,..... so that I can then search
    for all images of Knaresborough, for example?

    I should have said that I use the EXIFER program to Edit/View my
    EXIF data. Also have I now got to go through all of my digitised
    images entering these Trigger/Search words.

    Regards Chris. ZZZzzzz

    Chris McBrien, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Chris McBrien

    Trev Guest

    "Chris McBrien" <> wrote in message
    > The images on my hard discs are organised by Device, Year, Month,
    > Number.
    > Like this...
    >
    > D:
    > FlatBed
    > 1953
    > A-January
    > 01-Cat
    > xx-xxx
    > 99-House
    >
    > B-February
    > 01-Tree
    > 02-Kids
    >

    > DigitalCamera
    > 1998
    > A-January
    > 01-Mountain
    > 02-Snow
    >
    > B-February
    >
    > L-December
    > 01-Party
    > 02-Car
    >
    > 35mmSlide
    > 1974
    > A-January
    > 01-Hotel
    > 02-Boat
    >
    > 35mmNegative
    > 1974
    > ......and so on.......
    >
    > From this you can guess that I have a FlatBed scanner a 35mm
    > Slide/Negative scanner and a Digital Camera.
    >
    > The A-January, B-February...... to L-December is a method I think
    > I invented for keeping the months in chronological order instaed of
    > alphabetical order. I also considered 99 Images per month to be
    > sufficient. I've been proven wrong there with the digital camera and
    > have used three digits here to give me coverage to 999. This does
    > have the advantage that you do NOT have to keep thinking up different
    > names for each image like...
    >
    > DogLeftPawUp
    > DogRightLegUp
    >
    > .... you can just use...
    >
    > 09-Dog
    > 10-Dog
    > 11-Dog
    > ....... the changing number giving the file name it's uniqueness.
    >
    > Having bored you to tears so far, my question is!!!....
    >
    > What words do I have to enter into the EXIF or IPTC data section
    > so that the image(s) can be sorted by one of these image database
    > programs? Should I put words like.... United Kingdom, Yorkshire,
    > Knareborough, Holiday, Volvo, Daniel,..... so that I can then search
    > for all images of Knaresborough, for example?
    >
    > I should have said that I use the EXIFER program to Edit/View my
    > EXIF data. Also have I now got to go through all of my digitised
    > images entering these Trigger/Search words.
    >
    > Regards Chris. ZZZzzzz

    Those image date base's don't store there database in the headers ( you
    would need to find the image to read the header).
    ODBC is what there based on same as Access
    I use Thumbs + , You enter your keywords in like all file systems the
    more keywords the better cross indexing.a search for castle would bring
    up a thumb of every castle in the database Castle, Yorkshire Would
    limit to just those two keywords all this and the thumbs is saved in the
    database this way you can search even if the image is on a CD-ROM stored
    in the cupboard

    Trev, Dec 13, 2003