    computer straight - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on
    the screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from getting
    worse?
    Mike S., Apr 29, 2007

  2. Mike S.

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mike S." <> wrote in
    news::

    > I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image
    > burned on it. It's the image of my internet browser and the
    > taskbar. I always use a screensaver (usually the Marquee)
    > and have it set to come on after 8 minutes of inactivity. I
    > usually spend about 8 hours per day at my computer straight
    > - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on the
    > screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from
    > getting worse?

    That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color CRT's
    built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.

    Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
    components they can get from China, put their name on them, and
    charge you through the nose, so you just might have gotten an
    EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

    thanatoid, Apr 29, 2007

  3. Mike S.

    Kraftee Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "Mike S." <> wrote in
    >
    >> I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image
    >> burned on it. It's the image of my internet browser and the
    >> taskbar. I always use a screensaver (usually the Marquee)
    >> and have it set to come on after 8 minutes of inactivity. I
    >> usually spend about 8 hours per day at my computer straight
    >> - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on the
    >> screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from
    >> getting worse?

    > That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color CRT's
    > built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.
    >
    > Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
    > components they can get from China, put their name on them, and
    > charge you through the nose, so you just might have gotten an
    > EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

    Don't knock it I've even had a image burn on a recently bought HP LCD
    screen go figure (thought I had turned it off one hot day but instead
    left it on the same page for over 10 hours & the system locked so no
    screen save or auto time out power down). Now running on a LG Flatron
    which appears to be better

    To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on your monitor,
    but then again it may not, but you have nothing to loose so give it a
    go
    Kraftee, Apr 29, 2007
  4. Mike S.

    Muse Groops Guest

    Kraftee wrote:
    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "Mike S." <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image
    >>> burned on it. It's the image of my internet browser and the
    >>> taskbar. I always use a screensaver (usually the Marquee)
    >>> and have it set to come on after 8 minutes of inactivity. I
    >>> usually spend about 8 hours per day at my computer straight
    >>> - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on the
    >>> screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from
    >>> getting worse?

    >> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color CRT's
    >> built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.
    >>
    >> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
    >> components they can get from China, put their name on them, and
    >> charge you through the nose, so you just might have gotten an
    >> EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

    > Don't knock it I've even had a image burn on a recently bought HP LCD
    > screen go figure (thought I had turned it off one hot day but instead
    > left it on the same page for over 10 hours & the system locked so no
    > screen save or auto time out power down). Now running on a LG Flatron
    > which appears to be better
    >
    > To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on your monitor,
    > but then again it may not, but you have nothing to loose so give it a
    > go

    How often should degaussing be done?
    Muse Groops, Apr 29, 2007
  5. Muse Groops wrote:

    > How often should degaussing be done?

    Your gauss is as good as mine.

    :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 29, 2007
  6. Mike S.

    GHalleck Guest

    Muse Groops wrote:

    > Kraftee wrote:
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Mike S." <> wrote in

    >>> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color CRT's
    >>> built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.
    >>>
    >>> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
    >>> components they can get from China, put their name on them, and
    >>> charge you through the nose, so you just might have gotten an
    >>> EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

    >> Don't knock it I've even had a image burn on a recently bought HP LCD
    >> screen go figure (thought I had turned it off one hot day but instead
    >> left it on the same page for over 10 hours & the system locked so no
    >> screen save or auto time out power down). Now running on a LG Flatron
    >> which appears to be better
    >>
    >> To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on your monitor,
    >> but then again it may not, but you have nothing to loose so give it a go
    >>

    > How often should degaussing be done?

    With most modern CRT monitors, degaussing is done whenever it is
    powered on.
    GHalleck, Apr 29, 2007
  7. Mike S.

    thanatoid Guest

    "Kraftee" <kraftee@b&e-cottee.me.uk> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "Mike S." <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image
    >>> burned on it. It's the image of my internet browser and
    >>> the taskbar. I always use a screensaver (usually the
    >>> Marquee) and have it set to come on after 8 minutes of
    >>> inactivity. I usually spend about 8 hours per day at my
    >>> computer straight - no breaks. Is that why those images
    >>> are burned on the screen? Is there something I can do to
    >>> prevent it from getting worse?

    >> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color
    >> CRT's built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about
    >> it AFAIK.
    >>
    >> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
    >> components they can get from China, put their name on
    >> them, and charge you through the nose, so you just might
    >> have gotten an EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

    > Don't knock it

    Don't knock what?

    > I've even had a image burn on a recently
    > bought HP LCD screen go figure

    Plasmas are even more susceptible to burn-in than LCD's (which
    are NOT supposed to be at all, but I suppose 10 hrs could do
    it).

    > Now running on a LG Flatron which appears
    > to be better

    LG is a better brand than whatever shit HP sells under its name.

    > To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on
    > your monitor, but then again it may not, but you have
    > nothing to loose so give it a go

    Degaussing has absolutely NOTHING to do with burn-ins.

    thanatoid, Apr 29, 2007
  8. Mike S.

    thanatoid Guest

    Muse Groops <> wrote in

    > Kraftee wrote:
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>> "Mike S." <> wrote in

    >>> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color
    >>> CRT's built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about
    >>> it AFAIK.
    >>>
    >>> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
    >>> components they can get from China, put their name on
    >>> them, and charge you through the nose, so you just might
    >>> have gotten an EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

    >> Don't knock it I've even had a image burn on a recently
    >> bought HP LCD screen go figure (thought I had turned it
    >> off one hot day but instead left it on the same page for
    >> over 10 hours & the system locked so no screen save or
    >> auto time out power down). Now running on a LG Flatron
    >> which appears to be better
    >>
    >> To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on
    >> your monitor, but then again it may not, but you have
    >> nothing to loose so give it a go
    >>

    > How often should degaussing be done?

    On good CRT's (like a Sony) there is a degauss function and it
    is done every time it powers on. On many more recent larger
    monitors there is a menu option to do it whenever you want to.
    On crap monitors, you have to go to a tech shop and have a guy
    charge you $50 for holding a round metal coil in front of the
    screen for a few moments.

    When your screen displays weird discoloration in corners or
    other areas, you need a degauss. But it's not something that is
    essential to the well-being of your monitor, only the image
    quality, and you can degauss it very infrequently with no harm.

    thanatoid, Apr 29, 2007
  9. Mike S.

    thanatoid Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Muse Groops wrote:
    >
    >> How often should degaussing be done?

    > Your gauss is as good as mine.
    >
    >:)

    No comment.

    thanatoid, Apr 29, 2007
  10. Mike S.

    Frosty Guest

    On 28 Apr 2007 21:38:52 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Mike S."
    <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

    >I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image burned on it.
    >It's the image of my internet browser and the taskbar.

    As long as you have your internet browser and taskbar up you won't see
    it...so just leave them both up.

    Another problem solved by Frosty.
    Frosty, Apr 30, 2007
  11. Frosty wrote:
    > On 28 Apr 2007 21:38:52 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Mike S."
    > <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    > but instead wrote :
    >

    >>I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image burned on it.
    >>It's the image of my internet browser and the taskbar.

    > As long as you have your internet browser and taskbar up you won't see
    > it...so just leave them both up.
    >
    > Another problem solved by Frosty.

    Same kind of advice I gave my daughter. She said her car was making a
    funny noise. I told her to turn her stereo up.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 30, 2007
  12. Mike S.

    Tester Guest

    On 28 Apr 2007 21:38:52 -0700, "Mike S." <>
    wrote:

    >I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image burned on it.
    >It's the image of my internet browser and the taskbar. I always use a
    >screensaver (usually the Marquee) and have it set to come on after 8
    >minutes of inactivity. I usually spend about 8 hours per day at my
    >computer straight - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on
    >the screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from getting
    >worse?

    The ATM at my bank branch has monitor burn in. You used to be able to
    see a bunch of green screen monitors with Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheets at
    the Salvation Army store but for the most part you don't see burn in
    with even the oldest monitor now being carried by the SA in 2007. It's
    rare with VGA+.

    I have heard of people with LCD TV's getting burn in from the station
    logo at one corner of the screen.
    Tester, Apr 30, 2007
  13. Mike S.

    ProfGene Guest

    Tester wrote:
    > On 28 Apr 2007 21:38:52 -0700, "Mike S." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image burned on it.
    >> It's the image of my internet browser and the taskbar. I always use a
    >> screensaver (usually the Marquee) and have it set to come on after 8
    >> minutes of inactivity. I usually spend about 8 hours per day at my
    >> computer straight - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on
    >> the screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from getting
    >> worse?

    > The ATM at my bank branch has monitor burn in. You used to be able to
    > see a bunch of green screen monitors with Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheets at
    > the Salvation Army store but for the most part you don't see burn in
    > with even the oldest monitor now being carried by the SA in 2007. It's
    > rare with VGA+.
    >
    > I have heard of people with LCD TV's getting burn in from the station
    > logo at one corner of the screen.

    For a image to burn into a monitor it would take a very long time of
    leaving it on, at least the old monitors. I don't know if this is true
    of flat panels. Images would get burned into display monitors that
    showed the same image for days on end not just a few hours.
    ProfGene, May 5, 2007