    Viewer, and I am happy with it, but it does not have the batch rename
    function that works with the thumbnail view. If anyone can help with this,
    it is much appreciated.

    bird_head, Oct 7, 2006

  2. bird_head

    verity Guest

    I don't think it will handle thumbnails as such, but 1-4a Rename is the
    best darned batch file renamer I've ever tried. And it's freeware.

    The interface is strictly one of a kind and takes a little getting used
    to. Once you do get used to it, you'll probably love it, as I do.

    Here's the link to download 1-4a Rename:

    http://www.1-4a.com/rename/download.htm

    Note that the program author expects to receive an e-mail saying
    whether you like the program. You could suggest thumbnail handling.

    -v-

    verity, Oct 7, 2006

  3. bird_head

    bird_head Guest

    Thanks for the info, but unfortunately, the thumbnail view batch renaming is
    a must.

    I also did a search of this newsgroup and found a thread on batch renaming
    using thumbnail view in Windows Explorer. I tried this out and was not at
    all pleased with the results. Surely there is something out there that will
    do this other than ACDSee. I have googled for this feature, but I really
    don't want to download a bunch of apps and then try them out one by one to
    see if they have this feature. It would be so nice to get someone's
    friendly advice that has already found an app that will work this way.
    Thanks again.

    bird_head, Oct 7, 2006
  4. bird_head <> wrote:
    : Thanks for the info, but unfortunately, the thumbnail view batch
    : renaming is a must.

    Let me see if I can clarify your need. As you have found there are MANY
    programs out there that will do a batch rename of an entire folder of
    images. But what you are needing is a program that will allow you to
    rearrange the images into a new order before the sequential numeric
    portion of the rename is performed. Is this right? And the way to
    rearrange the order is facilitated with thumbnail views.

    I don't personally know of any programs that do this, but with the needs
    spelled out in this way someone may have some ideas or suggestions. Or as
    one person suggested there are some program producers, who are open to
    suggestions, that may be able to modify their current product to do what
    you want. It may be that such a change may only become available in the
    next version of the program, but if you are under no major rush such an
    expansion may become available that way. I can also see where such a
    device could be used to split a folder. Thus all the images of a flower
    could be named "flower" 1-100 and in the same folder the images of woods
    scenes could be renamed "woods" 1-100. It could take two operations, but
    by not only being able to rearrange but also exclude files from the rename
    operation could be handy from time to time.

    JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Oct 7, 2006
  5. bird_head

    bird_head Guest

    On 7-Oct-2006, Randy Berbaum <> wrote:

    > Let me see if I can clarify your need. As you have found there are MANY
    > programs out there that will do a batch rename of an entire folder of
    > images. But what you are needing is a program that will allow you to
    > rearrange the images into a new order before the sequential numeric
    > portion of the rename is performed. Is this right? And the way to
    > rearrange the order is facilitated with thumbnail views.

    Thanks for replying, Randy.

    That is exactly what I am looking for. ACDSee Power Pack had an extension
    that did just this. It was so useful. I don't know if the newer versions
    have that feature anymore or not. Too bad. If one just wanted to rename a
    collection of files in their original order, any of the file renamers do
    that just fine. Being able to do it like arranging slides on a light
    table, then applying the batch rename function to the new order makes it so
    very easy. If there are any software developers out there reading this,
    please consider incorporating this feature in the future.

    bird_head, Oct 7, 2006
  6. bird_head

    Pete D Guest

    Irfanview.