    I'd rather not completely disable my firewall. Is there a specific setting
    I can modify temporarily to allow this image to load?

    -MB

    M. B., Aug 20, 2005

  2. M. B.

    anders Guest

    M. B. wrote:
    > I've recently installed a bunch of programs (firewall, anti-virus, spy
    > removal, ad blockers, etc...) following the advice of some folks online.
    > I'm reaping the benefits in dramatic fashion as my computer is now running
    > better and faster than ever before. The only problem is that now I'm
    > wanting to register as a user on the site so I can stay "dialed in" and
    > perhaps learn a thing or two every once in a while. Part of the
    > registration process involves transcribing a 6-digit image-based security
    > code. I understand the rationale for using these things but it seems that
    > my firewall won't allow the images to load, hence I cannot view the code.
    > I'd rather not completely disable my firewall. Is there a specific setting
    > I can modify temporarily to allow this image to load?
    >
    > -MB

    In you´re browser (if you are useing Firefox), there is an tab in the
    settings alowing you to alowed pictures from other web sites.
    anders.

    anders, Aug 20, 2005

  3. "M. B." <> wrote in message
    > I've recently installed a bunch of programs (firewall, anti-virus, spy
    > removal, ad blockers, etc...) following the advice of some folks online.
    > I'm reaping the benefits in dramatic fashion as my computer is now running
    > better and faster than ever before. The only problem is that now I'm
    > wanting to register as a user on the site so I can stay "dialed in" and
    > perhaps learn a thing or two every once in a while. Part of the
    > registration process involves transcribing a 6-digit image-based security
    > code. I understand the rationale for using these things but it seems that
    > my firewall won't allow the images to load, hence I cannot view the code.
    > I'd rather not completely disable my firewall. Is there a specific

    setting
    > I can modify temporarily to allow this image to load?

    Chances are that it's XP's built-in popup blocker (doing this via email
    would tend to provoke a specific message)

    Alternatively, you'll have to give us a small clue as to what other stuff
    you've installed... because (in this specific case), it's broken. Give us a
    clue, and I'm sure /someone/ will be able to point you how to unbreak it.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 21, 2005
  4. Veering off topic, what are these utilities commonly called? Can one buy
    the software to implement them at your own site? Thanks

    --
    Shane

    Shane Petroff, Aug 22, 2005
  5. M. B.

    M. B. Guest

    "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > "M. B." <> wrote in message
    > > I've recently installed a bunch of programs (firewall, anti-virus, spy
    > > removal, ad blockers, etc...) following the advice of some folks online.
    > > I'm reaping the benefits in dramatic fashion as my computer is now

    running
    > > better and faster than ever before. The only problem is that now I'm
    > > wanting to register as a user on the site so I can stay "dialed in" and
    > > perhaps learn a thing or two every once in a while. Part of the
    > > registration process involves transcribing a 6-digit image-based

    security
    > > code. I understand the rationale for using these things but it seems

    that
    > > my firewall won't allow the images to load, hence I cannot view the

    code.
    > > I'd rather not completely disable my firewall. Is there a specific

    > setting
    > > I can modify temporarily to allow this image to load?

    > Chances are that it's XP's built-in popup blocker (doing this via email
    > would tend to provoke a specific message)
    >
    > Alternatively, you'll have to give us a small clue as to what other stuff
    > you've installed... because (in this specific case), it's broken. Give us

    > clue, and I'm sure /someone/ will be able to point you how to unbreak it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Hairy One Kenobi
    >
    > Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
    > reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the

    opinion
    > in the first place. So there!

    It turns out that making the website a trusted site (on Internet Explorer)
    and adding it to the "Allowed" list on Norton Internet Security fixed the
    issue. Thanks for the comments and interest!

    -MB

    M. B., Aug 26, 2005