    minded backup systems seemed worthless (at
    best).

    Thanks!

    Hockey Buff, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Hockey Buff

    samuel Guest

    Hockey Buff <> wrote in
    news::

    > In the rare event that I suffer another fatal HD crash,
    > I was wondering whether it would make any sense to
    > create an image backup of all critical files. And, if
    > so, are all image creating software essentially
    > identical?
    >
    > Recalling earlier days, before XP, the more simple
    > minded backup systems seemed worthless (at
    > best).
    >
    > Thanks!

    yes no

    samuel, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Hockey Buff

    Hockey Buff Guest

    On 20 Aug 2004 17:34:30 GMT, samuel <> wrote:

    >Hockey Buff <> wrote in
    >
    >> In the rare event that I suffer another fatal HD crash,
    >> I was wondering whether it would make any sense to
    >> create an image backup of all critical files. And, if
    >> so, are all image creating software essentially
    >> identical?
    >>
    >> Recalling earlier days, before XP, the more simple
    >> minded backup systems seemed worthless (at
    >> best).
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    >yes no

    Thanks! I love a reply that gets directly to the point!

    Is there any particular software (or feature) that
    earmarks one that you would consider "preferrable?"

    Hockey Buff, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Hockey Buff

    A String Guest

    Find an old copy of "Ghost". (The DOS version, not the Windows version).
    Format your comp, reinstall the OS and the drivers, and tweak all of the
    settings. Then startup with a "Win98" startup disk and run ghost. It will
    back up your whole HD with compression. Then, you can burn it to a
    rewriteable or save to it a partition. Then if you need to start over, you
    can pop it in and have the whole system back to squeaky clean in about 7
    minutes!

    A String, Aug 20, 2004
  5. Hockey Buff

    Jamco Guest

    Yeah, norton ghost works great for backing up your entire OS install, if its
    just some critical files, why wouldn't you just back them up to a CD or
    DVD?

    Jamco, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Hockey Buff

    samuel Guest

    Hockey Buff <> wrote in

    > On 20 Aug 2004 17:34:30 GMT, samuel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hockey Buff <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> In the rare event that I suffer another fatal HD crash,
    >>> I was wondering whether it would make any sense to
    >>> create an image backup of all critical files. And, if
    >>> so, are all image creating software essentially identical?
    >>>
    >>> Recalling earlier days, before XP, the more simple
    >>> minded backup systems seemed worthless (at best).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >>yes no

    > Thanks! I love a reply that gets directly to the point!
    >
    > Is there any particular software (or feature) that
    > earmarks one that you would consider "preferrable?"

    Karen's Replicator
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    samuel, Aug 20, 2004
  7. Hockey Buff

    Hockey Buff Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:27:54 GMT, "Jamco" <> wrote:

    >Yeah, norton ghost works great for backing up your entire OS install, if its
    >just some critical files, why wouldn't you just back them up to a CD or
    >DVD?
    >
    >"Hockey Buff" <> wrote in message
    >> In the rare event that I suffer another fatal HD crash,
    >> I was wondering whether it would make any sense to
    >> create an image backup of all critical files. And, if
    >> so, are all image creating software essentially
    >> identical?
    >>
    >> Recalling earlier days, before XP, the more simple
    >> minded backup systems seemed worthless (at
    >> best).
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    Yeah, that's what I did several years ago (with Win98),
    when I simply copied most of the Win System directory
    onto a floopy (100 mb) Zip disk; only to find out later
    that I had overlooked a number of other, more critical
    files (e.g. drivers). That's why I'm trying to select the
    most fail-safe program available. And, I just happen
    to have a copy of Norton Ghost on the shelf. So,
    unless someone has a better idea, that's where I'm
    headed.

    Thanks for the input.

    HB

    Hockey Buff, Aug 20, 2004