Image adjustments in one app not reflected in another.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jmc, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. jmc

    jmc Guest

    I've just come back from my first major vacation with the Canon Rebel
    XTi. Got some great shots, but some needed work.

    I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, and Cerious' ThumbsPlus.

    Because of the recipe feature in Canon's software, and the curves
    adjustment, I'm doing much of my work there. I use TP mainly for
    cropping. Oddly, though, some of the photos I've adjusted show adjusted
    in ThumbsPlus, but others do not. Mainly seeing this from curves and/or
    brightness adjustments.

    I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
    sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
    and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.

    Any help understanding this would be appreciated!

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 8, 2007

  2. jmc

    Mark² Guest

    jmc wrote:
    > I've just come back from my first major vacation with the Canon Rebel
    > XTi. Got some great shots, but some needed work.
    >
    > I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, and Cerious' ThumbsPlus.
    >
    > Because of the recipe feature in Canon's software, and the curves
    > adjustment, I'm doing much of my work there. I use TP mainly for
    > cropping. Oddly, though, some of the photos I've adjusted show
    > adjusted in ThumbsPlus, but others do not. Mainly seeing this from
    > curves and/or brightness adjustments.
    >
    > I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
    > sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
    > and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.
    >
    > Any help understanding this would be appreciated!
    >
    > jmc

    What are you saving them as? What type of file?

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Feb 8, 2007

  3. jmc

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:36:10 +0930, jmc wrote:

    > I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
    > sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
    > and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.
    >
    > Any help understanding this would be appreciated!

    I don't use that software, but I'll try guessing, based on what
    some others have recently said about other software. When some
    apps. make edits, the changes are immediately, destructively applied
    to the original image, and when saved, other apps. will immediately
    see the modified image. Others don't apply the *some* of the edits
    immediately to the original image, only to a copy in the computer's
    RAM memory, which is what you see on the screen. When you save
    this, the original image is unchanged in the disk file, but the
    editing commands that you issued are saved. This not only can save
    a lot of space, but can allow you to completely start over if you
    don't like the edits that you've done, and you'll again have the
    original file to work with, with no image degradation. But other
    apps. such as Thumbs Plus looking at edited images won't be aware of
    the embedded editing commands, and will only have the original
    unmodified JPG data to deal with. If this explanation doesn't
    accurately describe what's happening with your working image files,
    sorry 'bout that. But it cost me more to write this than it did for
    you to read it. <g>
    ASAAR, Feb 8, 2007
  4. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Mark² exclaimed (08-Feb-07 4:37 PM):
    > jmc wrote:
    >> I've just come back from my first major vacation with the Canon Rebel
    >> XTi. Got some great shots, but some needed work.
    >>
    >> I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, and Cerious' ThumbsPlus.
    >>
    >> Because of the recipe feature in Canon's software, and the curves
    >> adjustment, I'm doing much of my work there. I use TP mainly for
    >> cropping. Oddly, though, some of the photos I've adjusted show
    >> adjusted in ThumbsPlus, but others do not. Mainly seeing this from
    >> curves and/or brightness adjustments.
    >>
    >> I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
    >> sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
    >> and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.
    >>
    >> Any help understanding this would be appreciated!
    >>
    >> jmc

    > What are you saving them as? What type of file?

    Oh, sorry. JPEGs. I didn't have enough space to take RAW images on
    this vacation (I took 1220 pics in 12 days).

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 8, 2007
  5. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, ASAAR exclaimed (08-Feb-07 4:55 PM):
    > On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:36:10 +0930, jmc wrote:
    >
    >> I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
    >> sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
    >> and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.
    >>
    >> Any help understanding this would be appreciated!

    > I don't use that software, but I'll try guessing, based on what
    > some others have recently said about other software. When some
    > apps. make edits, the changes are immediately, destructively applied
    > to the original image, and when saved, other apps. will immediately
    > see the modified image. Others don't apply the *some* of the edits
    > immediately to the original image, only to a copy in the computer's
    > RAM memory, which is what you see on the screen. When you save
    > this, the original image is unchanged in the disk file, but the
    > editing commands that you issued are saved. This not only can save
    > a lot of space, but can allow you to completely start over if you
    > don't like the edits that you've done, and you'll again have the
    > original file to work with, with no image degradation. But other
    > apps. such as Thumbs Plus looking at edited images won't be aware of
    > the embedded editing commands, and will only have the original
    > unmodified JPG data to deal with. If this explanation doesn't
    > accurately describe what's happening with your working image files,
    > sorry 'bout that. But it cost me more to write this than it did for
    > you to read it. <g>

    Ok. Does make sense, but when I do a "apply recipe and save" in DPP,
    sometimes it shows and sometimes not. Assuming that even after the
    apply, some of the recipe data is still only in RAM, how do I get TP to
    see the edited images then? I've closed down both TP and DPP, and the
    situations' the same when I fire the apps back up.

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 8, 2007
  6. jmc

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:17:23 +0930, jmc wrote:

    > Ok. Does make sense, but when I do a "apply recipe and save" in DPP,
    > sometimes it shows and sometimes not. Assuming that even after the
    > apply, some of the recipe data is still only in RAM, how do I get TP to
    > see the edited images then? I've closed down both TP and DPP, and the
    > situations' the same when I fire the apps back up.

    Sorry, but I don't use any of those apps. I don't even know if
    when talking about TP not seeing edited images you're talking about
    the full size edited images, thumbnails or something else. If it's
    either of the last two, TP may store them in a database that is only
    updated under certain conditions to prevent stressing your computer
    with unnecessary disk I/O. If it's doing this, checking TP's menu
    or help file might show how to force it to update its files.
    ASAAR, Feb 8, 2007
  7. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, ASAAR exclaimed (09-Feb-07 3:20 AM):
    > On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:17:23 +0930, jmc wrote:
    >
    >> Ok. Does make sense, but when I do a "apply recipe and save" in DPP,
    >> sometimes it shows and sometimes not. Assuming that even after the
    >> apply, some of the recipe data is still only in RAM, how do I get TP to
    >> see the edited images then? I've closed down both TP and DPP, and the
    >> situations' the same when I fire the apps back up.

    > Sorry, but I don't use any of those apps. I don't even know if
    > when talking about TP not seeing edited images you're talking about
    > the full size edited images, thumbnails or something else. If it's
    > either of the last two, TP may store them in a database that is only
    > updated under certain conditions to prevent stressing your computer
    > with unnecessary disk I/O. If it's doing this, checking TP's menu
    > or help file might show how to force it to update its files.

    It's both the thumbnail, and the full sized image. Normally, it
    immediately updates both, even if edited from an outside app.

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 8, 2007
  8. jmc

    Dave Cohen Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:17:23 +0930, jmc wrote:
    >
    >> Ok. Does make sense, but when I do a "apply recipe and save" in DPP,
    >> sometimes it shows and sometimes not. Assuming that even after the
    >> apply, some of the recipe data is still only in RAM, how do I get TP to
    >> see the edited images then? I've closed down both TP and DPP, and the
    >> situations' the same when I fire the apps back up.

    > Sorry, but I don't use any of those apps. I don't even know if
    > when talking about TP not seeing edited images you're talking about
    > the full size edited images, thumbnails or something else. If it's
    > either of the last two, TP may store them in a database that is only
    > updated under certain conditions to prevent stressing your computer
    > with unnecessary disk I/O. If it's doing this, checking TP's menu
    > or help file might show how to force it to update its files.

    Easiest way to bypass those suggested problems is to 'save as' using a
    different name. Not using either of those apps I suppose anything is
    possible, but the scenario you suggest sounds like a bit of a stretch. I
    sometimes think pics look different depending on how viewed (Irfanview,
    Faststone or PagePlus), but since nothing is calibrated it could be that
    or just me.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Feb 8, 2007
  9. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Re: Image adjustments in one app not reflected in another: ANSWER

    Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (08-Feb-07 4:36 PM):
    > I've just come back from my first major vacation with the Canon Rebel
    > XTi. Got some great shots, but some needed work.
    >
    > I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, and Cerious' ThumbsPlus.
    >
    > Because of the recipe feature in Canon's software, and the curves
    > adjustment, I'm doing much of my work there. I use TP mainly for
    > cropping. Oddly, though, some of the photos I've adjusted show adjusted
    > in ThumbsPlus, but others do not. Mainly seeing this from curves and/or
    > brightness adjustments.
    >
    > I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
    > sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
    > and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.
    >
    > Any help understanding this would be appreciated!
    >
    > jmc

    Discovered the problem. They were using different color profiles.
    Asked TP to use sRGB as DPP was, and now the images look the same.

    Oddly, when I build my own profile using the monitor's software, all
    looks good on the screen but when I ask TP to use that profile, the
    images get all dark and nasty. So sRGB it is.

    Got some to learn about monitor adjustment, I guess.

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 9, 2007