Imacon + Hasselblad

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BandHPhoto, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. BandHPhoto

    BandHPhoto Guest

    A BRAVE NEW WORLD: HASSELBLAD AND IMACON MERGE TO TAKE ON THE PROFESSIONAL
    DIGITAL MARKET

    8/12/2004 Shriro Sweden, the holding company of Victor Hasselblad AB, and part
    of the Hong Kong-headquartered Shriro Group, has announced the acquisition of
    leading international high-end scanner and digital camera back manufacturer,
    Imacon. The move will see Imacon and Hasselblad merge to accelerate
    Hasselblad's ambitions in the professional digital photographic sector, and
    creates the first single source supplier for digital photography at the top end
    of the professional photographic market.

    Christian Poulsen, founder of Imacon, and CEO of the newly-enlarged Hasselblad
    says: Hasselblad has long been synonymous with quality in the field of analogue
    photography and Imacon is recognised as leading the wayin terms of innovative
    technologies in the high-end digital photographic sectors.

    This new company presents us with tremendous opportunities to move forward and
    is the most exciting development in the field of professional digital
    photography for many years. It will significantly lower the barriers to entry
    and allow more photographers than ever before to realise the quality,
    versatility and performance of our high-end digital solutions.

    Says Lars Pappila, managing director of Hasselblad's Swedish HQ: The
    professional photographic market has truly entered the digital age and
    Hasselblad needed to further develop its digital offering to ensure it
    maintains its leading position in the photographic sector. We had been working
    closely with Imacon on developing professional digital solutions for the
    Ixpress digital camera back and the Hasselblad H1. During this process we
    discovered a number of natural synergies between the two companies.

    We both share a similar culture of passion for quality based on strong core
    Scandinavian business values and recognise the extraordinary benefits of
    combining our respective experience in these fields. Using a combination of
    leading edge technology and strong photographic heritage, the new organisation
    will enable us to increase the digitalisation for Hasselblad customers, and
    introduce new customers to truly advanced professional digital solutions.

    Mr Poulsen concludes: Both companies are committed to producing the highest
    quality products and the integration of established technological expertise and
    vision will ensure we maximise penetration for both new and existing products
    in the marketplace. The newly enlarged Hasselblad is the only company in the
    market today that can not only optimise the quality and value of the captured
    image, but also dramatically increase the pleasure of capturing the image
    itself -- the true essence of all photography.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    BandHPhoto, Aug 13, 2004

  2. >This new company presents us with tremendous opportunities to move forward and
    >is the most exciting development in the field of professional digital
    >photography for many years. It will significantly lower the barriers to entry
    >and allow more photographers than ever before to realise the quality,
    >versatility and performance of our high-end digital solutions.

    1) This is too good to be true.

    2) The spirit in which the original Hasselblad and Imacon machines have
    been created will probably be sacrificed on the Singapore money making
    altar! I hope that I am wrong, but the world we live in... etc.

    2) Does all this mean a 6 x 6 full sensor, which would yield a file
    able to compete in size and quality with a good film scanner?

    3) Are we essentially talking here about digital backs, which could be
    used with all Hasselblad cameras, including the immortal 500 series?
    This should create a huge market, and make lots of dreams possible,
    unless the Singapore spirit prevails, and we are forced to buy new
    machines, at exorbitant prices, no doubt for perfectly valid technical
    reasons... :))

    I shall end as I have started: this is too good to be true!

    --

    nobody

    nobody nowhere, Aug 13, 2004

  3. BandHPhoto

    Guest

    nobody nowhere <> wrote:
    >>This new company presents us with tremendous opportunities to move forward and
    >>is the most exciting development in the field of professional digital
    >>photography for many years. It will significantly lower the barriers to entry
    >>and allow more photographers than ever before to realise the quality,
    >>versatility and performance of our high-end digital solutions.

    > 2) Does all this mean a 6 x 6 full sensor, which would yield a file
    > able to compete in size and quality with a good film scanner?

    I bet it'll be 6x4.5, not 6x6. The current Ixpress 528C is 36.9mm x
    49mm.

    > 3) Are we essentially talking here about digital backs, which could
    > be used with all Hasselblad cameras, including the immortal 500
    > series?

    Imacon backs already work with the CM, CW, ELD, ELX and H1. But the
    smoothest operation will require the H1, I'm sure.

    Andrew.

    , Aug 13, 2004
  4. BandHPhoto

    Crownfield Guest

    nobody nowhere wrote:

    > >This new company presents us with tremendous opportunities to move forward and
    > >is the most exciting development in the field of professional digital
    > >photography for many years. It will significantly lower the barriers to entry
    > >and allow more photographers than ever before to realise the quality,
    > >versatility and performance of our high-end digital solutions.
    > >

    > 1) This is too good to be true.
    >
    > 2) The spirit in which the original Hasselblad and Imacon machines have
    > been created will probably be sacrificed on the Singapore money making
    > altar! I hope that I am wrong, but the world we live in... etc.
    >
    > 2) Does all this mean a 6 x 6 full sensor, which would yield a file
    > able to compete in size and quality with a good film scanner?
    >
    > 3) Are we essentially talking here about digital backs, which could be
    > used with all Hasselblad cameras, including the immortal 500 series?

    check the imacon site for the 528c.
    about 36x48 mm?
    22mp,
    (full color at each and every pixel in multishot mode)

    Crownfield, Aug 14, 2004
  5. BandHPhoto

    Crownfield Guest

    Crownfield wrote:

    > nobody nowhere wrote:
    > >

    > > 1) This is too good to be true.
    > >
    > > 2) The spirit in which the original Hasselblad and Imacon machines have
    > > been created will probably be sacrificed on the Singapore money making
    > > altar! I hope that I am wrong, but the world we live in... etc.
    > >
    > > 2) Does all this mean a 6 x 6 full sensor, which would yield a file
    > > able to compete in size and quality with a good film scanner?
    > >
    > > 3) Are we essentially talking here about digital backs, which could be
    > > used with all Hasselblad cameras, including the immortal 500 series?

    > check the imacon site for the 528c.
    > about 36x48 mm?
    > 22mp,
    > (full color at each and every pixel in multishot mode)

    (that only 7 times better than a sigma.)

    Crownfield, Aug 14, 2004