    configured to handle the network.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Marc
    Marc, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Marc

    Alien Zord Guest

    "Marc" <> wrote in message
    news:GtJpb.6648$...
    > I can get the 2 machine to see the internet but I can't get them to see

    each
    > other or the printer on the desktop. I need to share files between the 2
    > and access the CD burner on the laptop from the desktop and A drive on the
    > desktop from the laptop. I do have Zone Alarm Pro on the desktop but it's
    > configured to handle the network.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    How are they all interconnected (both computers and the internet)?
    Alien Zord, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Marc

    Miggsee Guest

    Are you able to run the XP networking wizard, and create the Network disk to
    run on the 98 machine? Are the computers and workgroup named appropriately?
    By ZAP being configured, have you given each machine "rights" to the other's
    IP? Have you given sharing privileges to the devices?

    Miggsee, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Marc

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Marc" <> wrote:

    >I can get the 2 machine to see the internet but I can't get them to see each
    >other or the printer on the desktop. I need to share files between the 2
    >and access the CD burner on the laptop from the desktop and A drive on the
    >desktop from the laptop. I do have Zone Alarm Pro on the desktop but it's
    >configured to handle the network.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Marc

    Try this web site:

    Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network by MVP Steve Winograd:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I'm using a D-Link DI-604 router.

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Marc

    Marc Guest

    The laptop with the XP doesn't have a floppy drive. Both computer's have
    the same workgroup name. Yes ZAP is configured correctly as far as I can
    tell. Yes I have shared privileges on both computers.

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 6, 2003
  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Thanks, I'll try the web site.

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Marc

    Alien Zord Guest

    "Marc" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using a D-Link DI-604 router.

    Then its a piece of cake. Set workgroup name the same, computer names all
    different, fixed IPs are preferable for speed to DHCP, ZA sliders both in
    Medium position, adapter subnet in Trusted zone, select "Simple file
    sharing" in XP (is it Home or Pro?) - (share a folder on the XP machine and
    tick "I know all about networking" and "Use simple file sharing" if it
    asks).
    You can share CDRW drive but only as a reader, not writer. Sharing a floppy
    drive can be a pain. Explorers keep buzzing it during tree refresh, you may
    end up keeping a disk in it all the time or only share it when the notebook
    needs access.
    Alien Zord, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Marc

    PKH Guest

    I experienced the same problem, very frustrating when you think you have set
    it up correctly.

    On your XP computer , install the NWLINK IPX/SPX NETBIOS COMPATABLE
    TRANSPORT PROTCOL

    On your 98 pc, install IPX/SPX COMPATABLE PROTOCOL

    This should open up the lines of communication for sharing etc..

    It worked for me..

    PKH, Nov 19, 2003