    When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm not
    there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.

    Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?

    Jeff Strickland, May 19, 2010

  2. Jeff Strickland

    JD Guest

    On 19/05/2010 6:30 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I have a
    > chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.
    >
    > When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm not
    > there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.
    >
    > Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?

    why don't you redirect the output e.g.

    chkdsk x: > y:\chk_output.txt

    JD

    JD, May 19, 2010

  3. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > On 19/05/2010 6:30 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I
    >> have a
    >> chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.
    >>
    >> When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm
    >> not
    >> there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.
    >>
    >> Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?
    >>

    > why don't you redirect the output e.g.
    >
    > chkdsk x: > y:\chk_output.txt
    >
    > JD

    I do that for defragging my XP drives.
    Create a file with your command and run it as a scheduled task
    When you run it, you get a logfile like so:

    Windows Disk Defragmenter
    Copyright (c) 2001 Microsoft Corp. and Executive Software International,
    Inc.
    Analysis Report
    25.04 GB Total, 4.63 GB (18%) Free, 11% Fragmented (21% file
    fragmentation)
    Defragmentation Report
    25.04 GB Total, 4.63 GB (18%) Free, 6% Fragmented (12% file
    fragmentation)

    My " DefragHD.bat " file looks like this:

    defrag d: -f>"c:\defragD.txt"
    defrag e: -f>"d:\defragE.txt"
    defrag c: -f> "d:\defragC.txt"

    - Bobb -, May 19, 2010
  4. Jeff Strickland

    JD Guest

    On 19/05/2010 11:47 PM, - Bobb - wrote:
    > "JD"<> wrote in message
    >> On 19/05/2010 6:30 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>> I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I
    >>> have a
    >>> chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.
    >>>
    >>> When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm
    >>> not
    >>> there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?
    >>>

    >> why don't you redirect the output e.g.
    >>
    >> chkdsk x:> y:\chk_output.txt
    >>
    >> JD
    >>

    > I do that for defragging my XP drives.
    > Create a file with your command and run it as a scheduled task
    > When you run it, you get a logfile like so:
    >
    > Windows Disk Defragmenter
    > Copyright (c) 2001 Microsoft Corp. and Executive Software International,
    > Inc.
    > Analysis Report
    > 25.04 GB Total, 4.63 GB (18%) Free, 11% Fragmented (21% file
    > fragmentation)
    > Defragmentation Report
    > 25.04 GB Total, 4.63 GB (18%) Free, 6% Fragmented (12% file
    > fragmentation)
    >
    > My " DefragHD.bat " file looks like this:
    >
    > defrag d: -f>"c:\defragD.txt"
    > defrag e: -f>"d:\defragE.txt"
    > defrag c: -f> "d:\defragC.txt"

    Dont forget you can also append to your output e.g.

    defrag.bat

    echo "Defrag Log for " > c:\DefragLog.txt
    date /t >> c:\DefragLog.txt
    echo. >> c:\DefragLog.txt
    defrag c: -f >> c:\DefragLog.txt
    defrag d: -f >> c:\DefragLog.txt
    defrag e: -f >> c:\DefragLog.txt

    JD

    JD, May 20, 2010
  5. Jeff Strickland

    GTS Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I have
    > a chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.
    >
    > When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm
    > not there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.
    >
    > Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?

    After the computer restarts open Event Viewer - Application event log and
    look for the most recent Winlogon event. The results of the chkdsk will be
    reported there.
    (These redirected batch file ideas aren't usable with a chkdsk /f or /r
    which much run on restart.)

    GTS, May 20, 2010