    It's going back tomorrow.

    --
    m-m

    M-M, Dec 30, 2006

  2. M-M

    Mark² Guest

    M-M wrote:
    > At first I thought this lens was the best thing since automobile GPS
    > but I am extremely disappointed.
    >
    > On a tripod with the VR turned off, nothing was sharp at full crop. I
    > took the same picture with a different lens, same focal length and the
    > image was sharp.
    >
    > Sure, it can help with hand movement but I get the feeling there is so
    > much going on inside this lens that it's impossible to get the optics
    > right.
    >
    > It's going back tomorrow.

    So...you bought a VR lens so that you could turn it off on a tripod?

    Perhaps your test should be handholding both lenses under the conditions
    that lens was built for.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006

  3. M-M

    Pete D Guest

    > M-M wrote:
    >> At first I thought this lens was the best thing since automobile GPS
    >> but I am extremely disappointed.
    >>
    >> On a tripod with the VR turned off, nothing was sharp at full crop. I
    >> took the same picture with a different lens, same focal length and the
    >> image was sharp.
    >>
    >> Sure, it can help with hand movement but I get the feeling there is so
    >> much going on inside this lens that it's impossible to get the optics
    >> right.
    >>
    >> It's going back tomorrow.

    > So...you bought a VR lens so that you could turn it off on a tripod?
    >
    > Perhaps your test should be handholding both lenses under the conditions
    > that lens was built for.
    >
    > --
    > Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    > www.pbase.com/markuson

    If it is not sharp under ideal conditions I would be sending it back too.

    Pete D, Dec 30, 2006
  4. M-M

    Mark² Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    >> M-M wrote:
    >>> At first I thought this lens was the best thing since automobile GPS
    >>> but I am extremely disappointed.
    >>>
    >>> On a tripod with the VR turned off, nothing was sharp at full crop.
    >>> I took the same picture with a different lens, same focal length
    >>> and the image was sharp.
    >>>
    >>> Sure, it can help with hand movement but I get the feeling there is
    >>> so much going on inside this lens that it's impossible to get the
    >>> optics right.
    >>>
    >>> It's going back tomorrow.

    >> So...you bought a VR lens so that you could turn it off on a tripod?
    >>
    >> Perhaps your test should be handholding both lenses under the
    >> conditions that lens was built for.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    >> www.pbase.com/markuson

    > If it is not sharp under ideal conditions I would be sending it back
    > too.

    There are many lenses that are imperfect, yet they serve a special purpose.
    The special purpose of VR lenses at the consumer level is primarily for
    hand-held shooting. If that is the purpose, then I think the test should
    involve that. I agree that basic sharpness is important, but in the case of
    hand-holding, other blur-factors can become even more immportant. How does
    the lens stack up against it's non-IS counterpart when hand held? It's
    quite possible that results will still be better with that IS lens.
    It all depends on the intended use.
    Keep it...send it back...but at least remember what the lens was designed to
    deal with.
    If you want absolute sharpness, then pay for professional glass. The 70-300
    isn't that.
    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006
  5. M-M

    Joan Guest

    Which is a pain in the butt, because I was thinking of buying one. :-(

    --
    Joan

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    :
    :

    Joan, Dec 30, 2006
  6. Pete D wrote:

    >> So...you bought a VR lens so that you could turn it off on a tripod?
    >>
    >> Perhaps your test should be handholding both lenses under the
    >> conditions that lens was built for.

    > If it is not sharp under ideal conditions I would be sending it back
    > too.

    I agree. Any lens that is put on a tripod is going to perform at its very
    best. If it isn't going to give you what you want under optimal conditions,
    why would anyone expect it to perform any better under less optimal
    conditions with VR on? No amount of VR is going to correct crappy optics.
    Send it back.

    As for Mark's comments, you have to realize he doesn't fully comprehend how
    VR/IS works and thinks that switch, when on, will turn crap into gold.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 30, 2006
  7. M-M

    M-M Guest

    Update from original poster:

    It turns out much of the problem was mirror shake, which for some reason
    this lens is more sensitive to. When I locked the mirror, the image was
    fine.

    I will keep the lens. The VR is worth it.
    --
    m-m

    M-M, Dec 30, 2006
  8. M-M

    Paul Rubin Guest

    M-M <> writes:
    > It turns out much of the problem was mirror shake, which for some reason
    > this lens is more sensitive to. When I locked the mirror, the image was fine.

    What Nikon DSLR has mirror lockup? Do you mean you used the self timer?

    Paul Rubin, Dec 30, 2006
  9. M-M

    Cynicor Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > M-M <> writes:
    >> It turns out much of the problem was mirror shake, which for some reason
    >> this lens is more sensitive to. When I locked the mirror, the image was fine.

    > What Nikon DSLR has mirror lockup? Do you mean you used the self timer?

    My D200 does.

    Cynicor, Dec 30, 2006
  10. M-M wrote:
    > Update from original poster:
    >
    > It turns out much of the problem was mirror shake, which for some reason
    > this lens is more sensitive to. When I locked the mirror, the image was
    > fine.
    >
    > I will keep the lens. The VR is worth it.

    If the mirror made that big a difference I wonder about
    your tripod setup and release method. I hang my gear
    on the tripod and use a shutter release. I don't know why
    a particular lens would be more sensitive at at given
    focal length.

    Fletis Humplebacker, Dec 30, 2006
  11. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > What Nikon DSLR has mirror lockup? Do you mean you used the self timer?

    Not really lockup. There is an "Exp delay mode" which delays the shutter
    0.4 sec after mirror flips.

    --
    m-m

    M-M, Dec 30, 2006
  12. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <22543$4596804f$42f86850$>,
    Fletis Humplebacker <> wrote:

    > If the mirror made that big a difference I wonder about
    > your tripod setup and release method. I hang my gear
    > on the tripod and use a shutter release. I don't know why
    > a particular lens would be more sensitive at at given
    > focal length.

    It's not the tripod or the technique. Other lenses do not do it at the
    same focal length. I have the feeling the mirror shakes the lens
    elements in addition to the camera body and no tripod can help that.

    --
    m-m

    M-M, Dec 30, 2006
  13. M-M wrote:
    > In article <22543$4596804f$42f86850$>,
    > Fletis Humplebacker <> wrote:
    >
    >> If the mirror made that big a difference I wonder about
    >> your tripod setup and release method. I hang my gear
    >> on the tripod and use a shutter release. I don't know why
    >> a particular lens would be more sensitive at at given
    >> focal length.

    > It's not the tripod or the technique. Other lenses do not do it at the
    > same focal length. I have the feeling the mirror shakes the lens
    > elements in addition to the camera body and no tripod can help that.

    Does the VR being on in this test situation mitigate the mirror slap?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 30, 2006

    "Joan" <2> wrote in message news:45965845$0$2639$...
    > Which is a pain in the butt, because I was thinking of buying one. :-(
    >
    > --
    > Joan
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

    As I have tried to point out repeatedly over the years, samples of
    lenses do vary somewhat, and defective samples are not unknown.
    Before giving up on this lens, exchange it for the same lens. BTW,
    see my http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html for more on this.
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, Dec 30, 2006
  15. M-M

    acl Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > M-M <> writes:
    > > It turns out much of the problem was mirror shake, which for some reason
    > > this lens is more sensitive to. When I locked the mirror, the image was fine.

    > What Nikon DSLR has mirror lockup? Do you mean you used the self timer?

    The D200 certainly does (it also has a 0.4s delay if you prefer it, eg
    if you don't have a remote release handy), and I think so do the D2H
    and D2X [assuming you consider smaller than full-frame cameras worthy
    of the name "DSLR" :) ]

    acl, Dec 30, 2006