    configuration, Most of the vendors and manufacturer's are unable to suggest
    on the configuration suitable for XP 64 bit, since they do not have the
    supported drivers.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2lyYW4=?=, Feb 6, 2006

  2. It's a tuff job making purchases for others.

    I am running a Asrock board with AMD proc and SiS chipset - it's a small
    wonder on stability, but alas, socket 754.
    I have Two SATA's in a RAID configuration running off the chipset.
    I have Broadcom chips on the NIC's and nVidia graphics, Audigy 2 for sound,
    and HP PSC for printing. The only thing that isn't working is the Microsoft
    Sidewinder Joystick, I believe. The Logitech USB'one does, though.

    I am very pleased with this, however, I am contemplating the next addition
    but I have decided to wait until the M2 socket is released. I know I would
    hate myself if I bought something today when the new generation is a couple
    months away.

    If you are intent on buying something right away, I think going for
    something with a nVidia chipset (nForce4?) would secure your investment by
    way of support and compatibility. Not that there aren't issues - but as far
    as I can determine most can be solved and the rest is seldom critical, but
    watch out for the periferals and add-on's.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 7, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2lyYW4=?=

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Kiran" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm not much of a hardware person, I'm planning for a new Workstation and a
    > PC also which would run on windows XP 64 bit, Could anyone please help in
    > configuration, Most of the vendors and manufacturer's are unable to suggest
    > on the configuration suitable for XP 64 bit, since they do not have the
    > supported drivers.

    What will be the main purpose of new workstation?
    With information you posted I could recommend for example
    two ULi based motherboards:

    1. 939Dual-SATA2 and Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm
    + Supports both 939 and M2 socket CPUs
    + Works with PCIe, AGP and PCI graphic cards
    + SATA2: 3 Gbps, NCQ, hot plugging like USB
    http://www.jmicron.com/product/jmb360.htm

    2. K8SLI-eSATA2 and Sempron-64bit 2500+
    http://www.asrock.com/product/K8SLI-eSATA2.htm
    + Supports both 754 and M2 socket CPUs
    + two eSATA 3 Gbps ports at rear panel
    + High Definition Audio 5.1

    Servus, Roman

    P.S I own K8 Combo-Z and 939Dual-SATA2!
    http://www.asrock.com/product/K8 Combo-Z.htm

    roman modic, Feb 7, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?S2lyYW4=?=

    Rob Stow Guest

    roman modic wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > "Kiran" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> I'm not much of a hardware person, I'm planning for a new Workstation and a
    >> PC also which would run on windows XP 64 bit, Could anyone please help in
    >> configuration, Most of the vendors and manufacturer's are unable to suggest
    >> on the configuration suitable for XP 64 bit, since they do not have the
    >> supported drivers.

    > What will be the main purpose of new workstation?
    > With information you posted I could recommend for example
    > two ULi based motherboards:
    >
    > 1. 939Dual-SATA2 and Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    > http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm
    > + Supports both 939 and M2 socket CPUs
    > + Works with PCIe, AGP and PCI graphic cards
    > + SATA2: 3 Gbps, NCQ, hot plugging like USB
    > http://www.jmicron.com/product/jmb360.htm
    >
    > 2. K8SLI-eSATA2 and Sempron-64bit 2500+
    > http://www.asrock.com/product/K8SLI-eSATA2.htm
    > + Supports both 754 and M2 socket CPUs
    > + two eSATA 3 Gbps ports at rear panel
    > + High Definition Audio 5.1
    >
    > Servus, Roman
    >
    > P.S I own K8 Combo-Z and 939Dual-SATA2!
    > http://www.asrock.com/product/K8 Combo-Z.htm

    Those are just ordinary desktop boards. They can't handle very
    much RAM and they lack basic workstation features like SCSI
    controllers or PCI-X slots to stick a SCSI or RAID controller into.

    For workstations boards like the following are better candidates:

    http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/nForce/H8DCE.cfm
    http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/nForce/H8DCi.cfm
    http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/nForce/H8DC8.cfm
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html (AKA S2895)

    If your application needs lots of RAM but 2 CPUs would be enough,
    consider the IWill DK88:
    http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=102&sp=Y

    Lots of dual Opteron boards for you to look at here:
    http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=OMB
    http://www.lynncomp.com/
    At the latter, be sure to check out the Tyan, SuperMicro, IWill
    and Arima/Rioworks selections.

    I have built a few boxes around the S2895 but I'm looking forward
    to a chance to try the H8DCE.

    Tyan and Supermicro both also have a few 4P boards that would do
    nicely as workstation boards if you need lots of RAM or lots of CPUs.

    Rob Stow, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Ultra 500W ATX Continuous Black Power Supply
    Kingston 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz (2 x 1024MB)
    BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra PCIe 256MB w/Dual DVI
    DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 Motherboard
    Hitachi 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/S-ATA-II-300
    Cooler Master Centurion 530 Black Case w/o PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 4600+ Socket 939 (Manchester) BOXED
    Samsung Monitor CRT 997DF
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    Microsoft ball/mouse
    No wireless drivers yet, so don't buy D-LINK wireless adapters/USB/etc...

    Need to order separately, big fan 120mm for case.

    Works great w/ WinXP Prof x64, all drivers at dfi.com and nvidia.com

    =?Utf-8?B?bHVhbm1pa2V2dQ==?=, Feb 19, 2006