I'm now convinced that Steven Spielberg is a racist

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goldfinger, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Goldfinger

    Goldfinger Guest

    I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and his
    attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it and
    though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.

    One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as well
    but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.

    Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
    west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
    the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
    answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
    Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second class
    human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.

    Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying it
    must be taken from a "Chinee".

    Goldfinger, Oct 17, 2003

  2. oh pull your finger out of your arse before you blow up.

    have you ever heard about having spoken or written word match the period
    views of the day?

    many rough and tumble cowboys at that time were racist, didn't regard
    indians or anyone other than white people as people. so the line, killed 12
    people, not including indians or chinese makes sense.

    if I was to write a book in which a nazi character says he killed 12 people,
    not including jews, does that make me racist? no it doesn't, it means I am
    correctly representing a characters viewpoint which in no way means I am a
    nazi.

    "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    > I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and

    his
    > attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it

    and
    > though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    > I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
    >
    > One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    > Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as

    well
    > but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    > message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
    >
    > Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
    > west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
    > the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
    > answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
    > Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second

    class
    > human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
    >
    > Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying

    it
    > must be taken from a "Chinee".

    ---

    Vincent Formosa, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Goldfinger

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Vincent Formosa" <> wrote in message

    > many rough and tumble cowboys at that time were racist, didn't regard
    > indians or anyone other than white people as people. so the line, killed

    12
    > people, not including indians or chinese makes sense.

    I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
    westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
    this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
    in other than for derogatory purpose?

    Goldfinger, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Goldfinger

    hal Guest

    In article <fxUjb.6236021$>,
    says...

    >I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and his
    >attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it and
    >though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    >I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
    >
    >One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    >Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as well
    >but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    >message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
    >
    >Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
    >west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
    >the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
    >answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
    >Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second class
    >human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
    >
    >Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying it
    >must be taken from a "Chinee".

    Now, you do know that Robert Zemeckis directed the movie and that Spielberg was
    only an executive producer, right?

    Picked on the Nazi Germans? Why not pick on the Nazis? Who cares?

    This is the stupidest post in this group in a long time.

    Hal

    hal, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Goldfinger

    Bill Binder Guest

    Goldfinger wrote:
    > I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
    > westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
    > this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
    > in other than for derogatory purpose?

    Ummm. yes they were. The fact that your knowledge of the American 19th
    Century is limited to the few movies you've seen doesn't change that.

    Bill

    Bill Binder, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Goldfinger

    Skid Guest

    > I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
    > westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
    > this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue

    them
    > in other than for derogatory purpose?

    You need to read a little more history before you make YOURSELF look racist.
    Blacks, women, and, yes, Chinese pioneers flocked to the Wild West and
    contributed to its culture.

    http://www.vikingphoenix.com/public/rongstad/history/us/chinesecowboys/chinesecowboys.htm

    http://ceed.wsu.edu/WSU_StudentProjects/Northern_Borders/rock_lake.htm

    http://www.sandiego-online.com/forums/chinese/htmls/angel.htm

    http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/5views/5views3.htm

    http://www.cityviews.org/Museum/Chinese_Immigration.html

    In addition to railroad coolies, the Gold Rush drew Chinese immigrants to
    California by the hundreds of thousands -- 20,000 in 1852 alone. By 1882,
    there were so many Chinese in the West that Congress closed the door to
    further immigration. In 1885, white settlers in Wyoming rioted to protest
    the number of Chinese living in the state.

    Killing buffalo, Indians, blacks, Chinamen and each other was a sport for
    many of the gun-happy rowdies of the era. Perhaps Spielberg knows all
    this -- even if you don't.

    Skid, Oct 17, 2003
  7. In article <zUUjb.6237057$>,
    "Goldfinger" <> wrote:

    > The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
    > in other than for derogatory purpose?

    Bloody stupid. Perhaps you've never heard of San Francisco?

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Goldfinger

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : "Vincent Formosa" <> wrote in message
    : news:3f9017f6$0$385$...
    :
    : > many rough and tumble cowboys at that time were racist, didn't regard
    : > indians or anyone other than white people as people. so the line, killed
    : 12
    : > people, not including indians or chinese makes sense.
    :
    : I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
    : westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
    : this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
    : in other than for derogatory purpose?
    :
    ===================
    You need to get more educated on the "old west".
    Chinese were used as "slave" labor and were not considered "people".

    Richard C., Oct 17, 2003
  9. Goldfinger

    luminos Guest

    See Blazing Saddles, first scene.

    luminos, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Goldfinger

    free2002 Guest

    pull your finger out

    > I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and

    his
    > attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it

    and
    > though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    > I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
    >
    > One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    > Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as

    well
    > but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    > message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
    >
    > Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
    > west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
    > the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
    > answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
    > Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second

    class
    > human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
    >
    > Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying

    it
    > must be taken from a "Chinee".

    ---

    free2002, Oct 17, 2003
  11. Goldfinger

    free2002 Guest

    go and dob someone in for stealing a milk crate or something....

    > I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and

    his
    > attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it

    and
    > though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    > I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
    >
    > One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    > Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as

    well
    > but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    > message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
    >
    > Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
    > west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
    > the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
    > answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
    > Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second

    class
    > human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
    >
    > Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying

    it
    > must be taken from a "Chinee".

    ---

    free2002, Oct 17, 2003
  12. Goldfinger

    Doonie Guest

    Doonie, Oct 17, 2003
  13. Goldfinger

    B.T. Guest

    > I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and

    his
    > attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it

    and
    > though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    > I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
    >
    > One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    > Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as

    well
    > but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    > message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
    >
    > Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
    > west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
    > the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
    > answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
    > Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second

    class
    > human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
    >
    > Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying

    it
    > must be taken from a "Chinee".

    It's just amazing how some people can be so inept and read such trivial BS
    into something isn't it..

    B.T., Oct 17, 2003
  14. Goldfinger

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Goldfinger <> wrote:

    > I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and his
    > attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it and
    > though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    > I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
    >
    > One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    > Indians and Chinese".

    Nothing you'lls ever say will make an impact here.

    You're an ignorant fuckwit.

    Spielberg has lots of things wrong with him, but this is not one of
    them.

    Get a life.

    Peter Briggs, Oct 18, 2003
  15. On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:11:55 GMT, "Goldfinger" <> wrote:

    >I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and his
    >attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it and
    >though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    >I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
    >
    >One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    >Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as well
    >but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    >message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
    >
    >Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
    >west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
    >the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
    >answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
    >Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second class
    >human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
    >
    >Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying it
    >must be taken from a "Chinee".

    You suffer from some severe paranoia. There is help for that.

    SpeedByrd PhD

    Dr. Speedbyrd :>, Oct 18, 2003
  16. Goldfinger

    The Bradleys Guest

    > I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and

    his
    > attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it

    and
    > though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
    > I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
    >
    > One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    > Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as

    well
    > but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    > message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
    >
    > Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
    > west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
    > the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
    > answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
    > Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second

    class
    > human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
    >
    > Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying

    it
    > must be taken from a "Chinee".

    You are taking both lines completely out of context from the movie to start.
    In the "old West" the local law makes the rules. So you have Tennan still
    free and walking despite killing people. "not including chinese and
    Indians" means he obviously killed many more. Back in that time if killing
    a white person was not enough to get you arrested do you think the law would
    step in for citizens with less rights? Nothing racist about it actually
    just depicting how other races were treated in the old west.

    The Bradleys, Oct 18, 2003
  17. Goldfinger

    The Bradleys Guest

    > "Vincent Formosa" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > many rough and tumble cowboys at that time were racist, didn't regard
    > > indians or anyone other than white people as people. so the line, killed

    > 12
    > > people, not including indians or chinese makes sense.

    > I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
    > westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
    > this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue

    them
    > in other than for derogatory purpose?

    Ok now that explains it you have no clue about old west history.
    If you think Chinese had no place trying doing a google search "chinese old
    west" should cut it.

    If you think they were NOT treated poorly during this time frame look up
    "workingman's party" of California.

    For another entertainment reference of Chinese in the Old West try looking
    up Victor Sen Yung and a little series he did starting back in 1959 : )

    The Bradleys, Oct 18, 2003
  18. Goldfinger

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Goldfinger, says...
    > Then, how do the Chinese get into this?

    I'm not going to even comment on Speilberg, since your assertion that he
    is a racist is without merit.

    However, I suggest you do a LOT more reading about Chinese immagration
    to this country, and the racist government policies that were in place,
    allowing Chinese railroad workers to be treated nearly as slaves, but
    not bring their families here.

    For an interesting background about Chinese immigration in America, may
    I suggest the book 'On Gold Moutain". You'll learn a lot.

    Mark Spatny, Oct 18, 2003
  19. Goldfinger

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Goldfinger wrote:
    > I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
    > westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
    > this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
    > in other than for derogatory purpose?

    So your position is that since you are unaware of people of Chinese
    descent having any significant part in the history of the American west,
    then they didn't and therefore their mention must be gratuitous and
    therefore racist?

    Perhaps you should reconsider your position.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Oct 19, 2003
  20. Goldfinger

    Eric R. Guest

    "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message

    > One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
    > Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as well
    > but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
    > message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.

    Well, at least he didn't slander the Mexicans.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 20, 2003