i'm not having any luck with this problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by adolf, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. adolf

    adolf Guest

    hi thanks microsoft for providing a forum like this so that us 'customers'
    can get help, answers or results that we may need.

    ok here is my problem....
    i have the WUSB54G ver. 4 adapter, a WRT54GX2 router and a D-Link G710
    extender. all used to work excellent until a few days ago. i lost
    connection and couldn't remotely connect to the router like i used to so i
    hit the old reset button and started all over. i renamed my ssid and changed
    my security settings just in case. after re doing everything again,
    everything seemed back to usual and running great. signal and link strength
    shows excellent so no problem there. every now & then, i'll get a cannot
    connect to the internet sometimes but besides that all seems to be great.

    that is, till i start to download a file no matter what size or stream a
    video again, no matter the size. what happens is my speed will start off
    super great then it will drop dramatically till it reaches zero then after a
    few seconds go up in speed then drop to zero. this happens with any
    application i use. from get right (download manager) or internet explorer
    for files, wmp to stream videos, or any media player to stream videos. i've
    ran the netcheck (which took almost 5 minutes to download)and it tells me
    'everything seems configured correctly & no problems detected' and Windows
    XP netdiag tools to check my settings and it also finds nothing.

    what could be causing my speed to increase and decrease so dramatically?
    mind you at all times it shows excellent strength. has anybody had this
    problem or can anybody help me please?
    adolf, Aug 19, 2006

  2. adolf

    Guest

    On 19-Aug-2006, "adolf" <> wrote:

    > ok here is my problem....
    > i have the WUSB54G ver. 4 adapter, a WRT54GX2 router and a D-Link G710
    > extender. all used to work excellent until a few days ago.

    Maybe it's interference, another competeing signal source, cellphone,
    DECT phone, video sender, another nearby BB.

    > what could be causing my speed to increase and decrease so dramatically?
    > mind you at all times it shows excellent strength. has anybody had this
    > problem or can anybody help me please?

    Is it time of day sensitive?
    Any better in the wee small hours?
    Maybe ISP traffic shaping?
    Neither I nor many reviewers rank D-Link kit very high. They
    seem to keep changing their kit and suppliers, often the
    install CD doesn't match the kit.
    Can you try a CAT5 hardwired link?
    , Aug 19, 2006

  3. Have you tried to close some of your programs down start run type (mscofig)
    then click the startup tab button. ? sounds like you need to reformat your
    hole server again.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Aug 20, 2006
  4. adolf

    adolf Guest

    sorry for replying late and thank you for replying to my post. ok now back
    to your question, not to sound ignorant but what exactly do you mean & how
    do i go about that?

    adolf, Aug 24, 2006