    hear any experiences, pro's and con's with them.

    Thank you,
    jt
    jt, May 31, 2005

  2. jt

    Garry W Guest

    "jt" <> wrote:
    >I'm looking at getting AT&T CallAvantage, business package. Would like to
    >hear any experiences, pro's and con's with them.

    When I tested them their voice quality and voice quickness (delay time) were
    superior to everyone else I tried (Vonage, Lingo, and Packet8.)

    However, they mis-designed a couple of the software features that I needed.

    The mis-design I can remember now is their "locate me" feature (simultaneous
    call-forward). When it's in effect, a call will ring through, you answer, but
    then their software insists on slowly playing a recording asking you to push
    a button to actually speak to the party who's trying to get through to you.

    The extra button is a hassle (especially while driving), the tape cannot be
    pre-empted, and by the time you can persuade the software that it's OK to let
    you speak to the caller, the person has often hung up. Also, the recording
    prevents you from putting your own answering machine on the line (answering
    machine can't "push the button.") When I called them, they explained that
    that was the whole purpose of the exercise: to prevent your answering machine
    from "accidentally" picking up.

    (I needed to put my own answering machine on the line because their voicemail
    service is lame in some way that I don't remember now. Maybe Callvantage was
    the odd duck where you could pick up your voicemail either by phone or by
    email, like usual -- but you had to choose in advance; you couldn't have it
    both ways.)

    Hope this helps a little.

    Garry
    Garry W, Jun 1, 2005

  3. jt

    Rick Merrill Guest

    CallVantage service is terrific. They did have trouble porting my home
    phone number, but it is now working perfectly.

    Their message recordings are great because you can retrieve messages
    from any of your home phones, via web, and/or via email and messages are
    not lost if there is a power failure in your house.

    Their speed dial is great: you can speed dial from any of your phones
    and if you lose power you don't loose the speed dial programing!

    The installation is easy for DIY and the AT cost is reimbursed.

    Rick
    Merrill
    Rick Merrill, Jun 1, 2005
  4. jt

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Garry W wrote:
    > "jt" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking at getting AT&T CallAvantage, business package. Would like to
    >>hear any experiences, pro's and con's with them.

    > When I tested them their voice quality and voice quickness (delay time) were
    > superior to everyone else I tried (Vonage, Lingo, and Packet8.)

    I agree: voice quality is excellent. The QoS (quality of service) over
    broadband is unimpeachable. ( You just have to be sure to RTM and put
    Modem<==>TA(telephoneadapter)<==>router<==>computer )
    Rick Merrill, Jun 1, 2005
  5. jt

    jt Guest

    Thanks for al that replied. I really appreciate your input.
    jt

    jt, Jun 2, 2005
  6. jt

    Rick Merrill Guest

    jt wrote:

    > Thanks for al that replied. I really appreciate your input.
    > jt

    Did'ja compile a summary?-)
    Rick Merrill, Jun 2, 2005
  7. jt

    jt Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    > jt wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for al that replied. I really appreciate your input.
    >> jt
    >>

    > Did'ja compile a summary?-)

    Nope. Just read you all's review.
    jt, Jun 3, 2005