    Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Dec 6, 2008

  2. Denise <> wrote:
    > I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with
    > it for a while.
    >
    > Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?

    Well, now that you've gone and made new friends, want to tell us more about
    your symptoms? My crystal ball is on the blink.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Dec 6, 2008

  3. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Yes, I did. I also ran a number of anti-virus/trojan/malware programs and
    they came up with nothing except a few cookies. I was reading around the
    internet and the only other thing that was mentioned that could cause the
    lockout from Add/Remove Programs is that the appwiz.cpl file had been deleted
    from Windows > System32, but mine is there.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Another example of you trying to "clean" and "update" your computer.  Now it's screwed up, AGAIN, and you want others to figure out just what it was you did to screw up your computer.

    There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Windows if you don't DINKER with it!

    You need to find another hobby - like knitting, crocheting, reading books, etc.  Something you can't DINKER with!!!

    I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with it for a while. Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 6, 2008
  5. Just for fun I did a Google for 'Denise' and 'Windows' and
    'x64'. Google returns about 37,200 for Denise AND Windows
    AND x64.

    You are a celebrity. You probably have more computer
    problems that any other single person in the entire world.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 6, 2008
  6. Denise

    Denise Guest

    You're a complete jerk . . . always have been and always will be. I've come
    to accept that but do you really need to make an a$$ out of yourself in
    public? That was the most obnoxious, backward, anti-feminist statement that
    I've heard since the 50's.

    Your time would have been better spent searching for a solution to the
    problem that hundreds of people have, which is, not being able to get MS
    Updates.

    And you know what? Most people don't know the answers to the questions I
    ask . . . so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

    And get rid of your HTML code . . . it doesn't work.

    Dinker with it? You must mean tinker with it. Dinker is not a word. You
    just keep showing your ignorance everytime you post.

    If you don't like me searching for answers to the problems that Microsoft
    causes me and hundreds of others, don't read my posts.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Dec 6, 2008
  7. Denise

    Carlos Guest

    Denise,
    Have you tried pressing Windows Key + R key simultaneously and then entering
    appwiz.cpl and the pressing the ENTER key?
    That should launch the add/remove thingie.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 7, 2008
  8. dinker

    * someone who just does enough to get something done.

    The above is just one of the definitions of dinker. In your
    case you do just enough to screw up your computer.

    Microsoft does not cause the problems you have with your
    computer. You cause the problems because you really don't
    know what you're doing. And, since you don't know what
    you're doing then how do you expect others to know how to
    correct your problems?

    I have visited the other forums you post in and the people
    also there get tired of trying to figure out the solutions
    to your obscure problems.

    You're absolutely right - most people don't know the answers
    to your problems because you don't know how you screwed up
    your computer and you can't provide sufficient information
    to analyze the situation! Your approach is to throw your
    problems out in public and hope someone mystically stumbles
    across the solution!

    To troubleshoot any problem there has to be enough relative
    information to analyze and formulate logical methods to get
    to the root of the problem!

    In other words you air your dirty laundry in public!

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 7, 2008
  9. P.S.

    Also there is a real place named Dinker:
    http://www.maplandia.com/germany/nordrhein-westfalen/arnsberg/soest/dinker/

    I think I have actually been there!

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 7, 2008
  10. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Hi Carlos,

    Things were never right after I did my last Repair . . . many things didn't
    work right and not being able to get into Add/Remove Programs yesterday made
    my mind up for me. I first tried an SFC scan but it didn't help so I did
    another Repair. The first time I tried, it loaded all the files and then got
    hung up on "Setting up Windows" (or something similar). I waited about 5
    minutes but it didn't move, so I started it again and it went fine. I have
    access to the internet, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Updates, and all the
    other little problems that I was having are gone.

    Besides having XP Pro x64 installed, I have SATA, so everything was new to
    me. I've learned a lot in the past 2 years and a lot of it came from help
    from people like you. Thanks for taking the time to help. I never got a
    chance to try your solution. It looks like your response came in right
    before I got up this morning. I hope it helps someone else though. That's
    the one good thing about these forums. So many things and commands are
    shared that it's bound to help someone.

    Have a good weekend.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Dec 7, 2008
  11. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Your words show your distain for the people who come here for help.

    If you choose to spread bad rumors about me, you had better be prepared to
    back up those statements, in writing, signed by the person who spoke them and
    they had better be willing to appear in court for you. Defamation of
    character is an offence for which I can file a legal action.

    "To troubleshoot any problem there has to be enough relative
    information to analyze and formulate logical methods to get
    to the root of the problem!"
    Yes, we all know what information to give in order for someone to determine
    the reason Add/Remove Programs no longer works. Yup, the reason is
    Microsoft, the company that wrote script to remove wups from the registry but
    leaving the file so that it trips everybody who reinstalls or Repairs Windows
    by also affecting wuauserv. If you're so smart, why didn't you know this.
    You're supposedly here to help. I come here for help but it seems that I
    know more than you about this problem and it's really getting your goat.

    "Microsoft does not cause the problems you have with your
    computer. You cause the problems because you really don't
    know what you're doing."

    Really? That's not what Microsoft has to say about it:

    "Scenario 1

    This problem occurs because of how the Windows XP repair operation replaces
    Windows system files. When you repair a Windows installation by using a
    Windows XP CD, the repair operation performs both of the following operations:
    It replaces all the Windows system files with the corresponding files from
    the CD.

    Note This includes the Windows Update files.
    It restores the Windows registry.
    The latest version of Windows Update includes a file that was not available
    in the release version of Windows XP. This file is named Wups2.dll.
    Therefore, after the repair operation is complete, the following situation
    exists:
    The Wups2.dll file remains on the computer.
    The registry entries that correspond to this file are missing.
    Because the registry files that correspond to the Wups2.dll file are
    missing, update installations are unsuccessful."

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define:dinker&aq=f&oq=

    Google Search: define:dinker
    No definitions were found for dinker.
    Suggestions:
    - Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    - Search the Web for documents that contain "dinker"

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dinker

    "Just for fun I did a Google for 'Denise' and 'Windows' and
    'x64'. Google returns about 37,200 for Denise AND Windows
    AND x64."

    Just for fun, but not to help. You've missed your calling. I did a Google
    search and came up with very little and there were duplicates of each thread.
    I thought that I was smart to seek help when I needed it. Imagine, you come
    here to help people but you think it's dumb. What are you doing here?

    --
    Denise

    Denise, Dec 7, 2008
  12. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Awwww . . . isn't that cute! Sticking up for your friend. That's sweet.
    It really is. He needs all the help he can get.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Dec 7, 2008
  13. It's amazing that I have been using Windows for over 20
    years and in ALL that time I have not had as many problems
    as you have in the past year! Windows is not the only
    operating system I have used either!

    Windows may not be best operating system in the world, but
    if you read the appropriate user manuals and other related
    publications, it is relatively stable as long as you don't
    try to fix thing that don't need fixed.

    The Windows update presently works on the 6 systems I
    currently have running; both XP and Vista in both 32-bit and
    64-bit versions; and it has worked for quite some time. I
    can't even remember when I've had a problem with Windows Update.

    I have been building systems for customers for over 20
    years, also, and I have yet to encounter a customer with as
    many problems as you. I doubt all my customers combined
    have had as many problems as you - a single individual!

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 7, 2008
  14. Definition #3 from your link below fits you perfectly:

    3. dinker Verb. To troubleshoot. To fix. To try different
    things with. To work on something when you don't really know
    what you are doing or don't know what else to do. To try
    unorthodox remedies.

    I'm going to dinker with my car and see if I can get it to
    start.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 7, 2008
  15. One can never have too many friends!

    The more the better and they ALL are very dear too me!

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 7, 2008
  16. Denise

    Dennis Pack Guest

    OT Re: I'm locked out of Add/Remove Programs

    Bobby:
    I like definition #3. I've seen this type of person in the automotive field
    for well over 30 years and counting. I've given up on answering this lady or
    trying to help her when I got a tongue lashing for recommending too simple a
    fix for one of her problems. I also agree with you about not seeing this
    many problems on multiple computers with XPx64 or Vista x64 since XPx64 was
    in beta.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1

    Dennis Pack, Dec 7, 2008
  17. Denise

    XS11E Guest

    Denise <> wrote:

    > Things were never right after I did my last Repair . . . many
    > things didn't work right and not being able to get into Add/Remove
    > Programs yesterday made my mind up for me. I first tried an SFC
    > scan but it didn't help so I did another Repair. The first time I
    > tried, it loaded all the files and then got hung up on "Setting up
    > Windows" (or something similar). I waited about 5 minutes but it
    > didn't move, so I started it again and it went fine. I have
    > access to the internet, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Updates, and
    > all the other little problems that I was having are gone.

    Denise, I've been following your problems for a while and I wonder if
    you've ever considered getting imaging software? What it can do is
    make an "image" of your harddrive(s) to be restored if problems ever
    arise, you just slip in the bootable rescue CD (instructions to burn
    one are on the CD or you can boot the CD), reboot your computer and
    select the last image you made when your computer was working properly
    and it will erase your drive/partition (your choice) and put it back
    exactly as it was when you made the image.

    I've had good success with Acronis True Image Home but there are others
    and, if you have a Seagate/Maxtor or Western Digital hard drive, both
    manufacturers offer free software on their websites that include
    Acronis True Image Home.

    Acronis:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Seagate:
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    Maxtor:
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    Western Digital:
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=504&sid=1&lang=en

    Just a thought but it might be worth looking into.... When everything
    is totally FUBAR, restoring an image will save bunches of frustration!

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Dec 7, 2008
  18. I've used Acronis for years to do this. Given the kind of work I do, I'm
    often running in beta OSs and constantly changing requirements. Whenever I
    build a new box, I get it all set up and then pull an image of the OS drive.
    (I keep all documents, music, pictures, and data on separate partitions!)
    Periodically I update that image when I've made changes, and when those
    changes are "good". Whenever I need to recover, I have a full image to blow
    back on to the disk.

    I stopped using Acronis for this about 6 months ago, switching to Windows
    Home Server instead. Since then, I've had occasion to restore a full image
    twice, and both times it's been flawless. In addition, WHS is VERY smart
    about disk space, and I can easily handle all my backups (10 machines,
    including my SBS box) on about a TB of disk space. This covers months of
    backups of about 4 TB total of local machine disk space.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 7, 2008
  19. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Well, I think this is enough of this baby bs. Somebody has to end it so I'll
    be big and say Happy Holidays.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Dec 7, 2008
  20. Denise

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree with XS11E and Charlie. Having a reasonably recent system backup
    and more frequent data backups from another drive is one way of avoiding
    frustration and hard drive failure. You can still learn by what you are
    doing, and more power to you. Those here who want to assist can read and
    answer and those who don't should not bother reading your posts as they just
    get disheartened. Kill file your posts and be done with it.

    John Barnes, Dec 7, 2008