I'm infected anti-virus no help.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by chase12, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. chase12

    chase12 Guest

    I've got the latest version of Norton's Internet Security which I've updated
    and run but still have problems. I've been getting e-mail from different
    sources that tell me that a message to an unknown address was undeliverable.
    I'll get three or four a week. They're not any original messages that i have
    sent so I think it's clear that it must be some kind of virus / worm.
    Also, any time i try to go directly to a website by typing it in the address
    bar, hit enter, and it always comes back to my homepage. The only way i can
    go directly to a website is to do a search like on yahoo then hit the link
    that comes up on the search. I can still use my favorites OK but the address
    bar is useless. Even after trying to use the address bar, I hit the little
    drop down arrow in the address bar window and it will list a some kind of
    hard core porn site search ending with my original search. For example, if I
    want to go to www.loanweb.com I'll try the address bar, then the drop down
    arrow lists this:
    http://vrape.hardloved.com/top/search.php?.id=2&s=www.loanweb.com It does
    this every time. but still goes to my homepage. How can I fix this.
    One last thing. Suddenly any links I want to open up are suddenly opening up
    in very small windows. Can the size of the windows be programmed to open up
    full screen size?
    Sorry for being long winded here. A bit of a novice and don't really have
    the time to learn every nuance of internet surfing and fixing virus'.
    Thanks a bunch, it's most appreciated
    Bill Chase
    chase12, Oct 7, 2003

  2. chase12

    Lou Rosse Guest

    chase12 wrote:

    > I've got the latest version of Norton's Internet Security which I've updated
    > and run but still have problems. I've been getting e-mail from different
    > sources that tell me that a message to an unknown address was undeliverable.
    > I'll get three or four a week. They're not any original messages that i have
    > sent so I think it's clear that it must be some kind of virus / worm.

    That's incoming Swen. If NIS doesn't detect Swen, then you're probably
    not infected. But if you keep posting Usenet with you email address
    unmunged, you'll keep getting the crap.

    > Also, any time i try to go directly to a website by typing it in the address
    > bar, hit enter, and it always comes back to my homepage. The only way i can
    > go directly to a website is to do a search like on yahoo then hit the link
    > that comes up on the search. I can still use my favorites OK but the address
    > bar is useless. Even after trying to use the address bar, I hit the little
    > drop down arrow in the address bar window and it will list a some kind of
    > hard core porn site search ending with my original search. For example, if I
    > want to go to www.loanweb.com I'll try the address bar, then the drop down
    > arrow lists this:
    > http://vrape.hardloved.com/top/search.php?.id=2&s=www.loanweb.com It does
    > this every time. but still goes to my homepage. How can I fix this.

    This sounds like a hijack of some sort. Go to SpywareInfo for advice:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=5187

    > One last thing. Suddenly any links I want to open up are suddenly opening up
    > in very small windows. Can the size of the windows be programmed to open up
    > full screen size?

    That's IE for you - you can resize a non maximised window, and it will
    eventually learn that, but I haven't found a way to force it to open
    full screen.
    Lou Rosse, Oct 7, 2003

    David Postill, Oct 8, 2003
  4. chase12

    SWitch Guest

    "> >
    > | That's IE for you - you can resize a non maximised window, and it will
    > | eventually learn that, but I haven't found a way to force it to open
    > | full screen.
    >
    > <http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/index.htm>
    >
    > "This program will automatically maximize new Internet Explorer and

    Outlook
    > Express windows for you. It also includes a
    > function for hiding/closing all IE windows with a userdefined hotkey.
    >
    > You can also open new IE windows and automatically have them sent to the
    > background.
    > The program is also capable of closing popup windows"
    >
    > <davidp />
    > <snip />

    Its nice to have a program that can do all that, IE should/will remember a
    new window size if you hold down 'ctrl' key when closing the application.
    Resize using the sidebars not the 'maximise' button first.

    SWitch, Oct 8, 2003
  5. chase12

    Chuck Guest

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:27:41 +0100, "SWitch"
    <> wrote:

    >"> >
    >> | That's IE for you - you can resize a non maximised window, and it will
    >> | eventually learn that, but I haven't found a way to force it to open
    >> | full screen.
    >>
    >> <http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/index.htm>
    >>
    >> "This program will automatically maximize new Internet Explorer and

    >Outlook
    >> Express windows for you. It also includes a
    >> function for hiding/closing all IE windows with a userdefined hotkey.
    >>
    >> You can also open new IE windows and automatically have them sent to the
    >> background.
    >> The program is also capable of closing popup windows"
    >>
    >> <davidp />
    >> <snip />

    >Its nice to have a program that can do all that, IE should/will remember a
    >new window size if you hold down 'ctrl' key when closing the application.
    >Resize using the sidebars not the 'maximise' button first.

    I use IE like that - it does remember the new non-maximised size. But
    stretching the window to fill the screen, and maximising the window,
    aren't always the same.

    Chuck
    I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
    Chuck, Oct 8, 2003
  6. chase12

    YK Guest

    chase12 wrote:
    > I've got the latest version of Norton's Internet Security which I've
    > updated and run but still have problems. I've been getting e-mail
    > from different sources that tell me that a message to an unknown
    > address was undeliverable. I'll get three or four a week. They're not
    > any original messages that i have sent so I think it's clear that it
    > must be some kind of virus / worm.

    Read all about Swen.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/authenticate_mail.asp

    Read about munging your email address so that you do not get this cr@p.

    > Also, any time i try to go directly to a website by typing it in the
    > address bar, hit enter, and it always comes back to my homepage. The
    > only way i can go directly to a website is to do a search like on
    > yahoo then hit the link that comes up on the search. I can still use
    > my favorites OK but the address bar is useless. Even after trying to
    > use the address bar, I hit the little drop down arrow in the address
    > bar window and it will list a some kind of hard core porn site search
    > ending with my original search. For example, if I want to go to
    > www.loanweb.com I'll try the address bar, then the drop down arrow
    > lists this:
    > http://vrape.hardloved.com/top/search.php?.id=2&s=www.loanweb.com It
    > does this every time. but still goes to my homepage. How can I fix
    > this.

    Read all about Coolwebsearch hijacker parasite.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/cws/

    Remove it with CWShredder:
    Unpack and run CWShredder.exe. Insure that all Internet Explorer windows
    are closed.

    Read the following pages to get advice on how to remove and to stop it
    happening again:

    Get and update then run frequently after checking for new updates:

    > One last thing. Suddenly any links I want to open up are suddenly
    > opening up in very small windows. Can the size of the windows be
    > programmed to open up full screen size?

    Using full screen makes using Windows very limited. You can't drag-n-drop
    things.
    The other posters will tell you how to turn your PC into a DOS system.

    > Sorry for being long winded here. A bit of a novice and don't really
    > have the time to learn every nuance of internet surfing and fixing
    > virus'. Thanks a bunch, it's most appreciated

    In order to be safe on the Internet then learning a bit about this stuff is
    necessary.
    YK, Oct 9, 2003