I'm having trouble setting up a simple routing using Cisco 2610

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bk2007, Aug 29, 2007.

  1. bk2007

    bk2007

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    5
    I'm trying to configure a Cisco 2610 router with two ethernet interfaces as a gateway router. I can ping and traceroute to the Internet from my router's telnet but can not ping or traceroute to Internet from my LAN. Please help - I've spent the past two days on this and can not figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

    Here is my Cisco configuration:

    Current configuration:
    !
    version 12.0
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname dolphin
    !
    enable secret 5
    enable password
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    ip name-server 4.2.2.1
    !
    !
    !
    interface Ethernet0/0
    description to-WAN
    ip address 198.78.141.1 255.255.255.252
    no ip directed-broadcast
    !
    interface Ethernet1/0
    description to-LAN
    ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0/0
    !
    line con 0
    password
    login
    transport preferred none
    transport input none
    line aux 0
    password
    login
    modem InOut
    transport preferred none
    transport input all
    stopbits 1
    flowcontrol hardware
    line vty 0 4
    password
    login
    transport preferred none
    !
    no scheduler allocate
    end

    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
    bk2007, Aug 29, 2007

  2. bk2007

    hinka

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2006
    Messages:
    26
    you need to enable NAT on the router

    router(config)#
    !
    ! Goto your "outside" interface and tell it how to NAT
    interface Ethernetl0/0
    ip nat outside
    exit
    !
    ! Goto your "inside" interface and tell it how to NAT
    interface Ethernet1/0
    ip nat inside
    exit
    !
    ! Build an Access-List to tell the router what subnets to block.
    access-list 101 permit ip any any
    !
    ! Tell the router to use the new Access-List and to NAT using PAT
    ip nat inside source list 101 interface ethernet0/0 overload
    exit
    copy running-config startup-config

    hinka, Aug 29, 2007

  3. bk2007

    bk2007

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    5
    Thank you -

    Thank you very much - the problem is solved.

    I'm just wondering, in the past when I set up T1 connection and configured the Serial0/0 for outside connection; I never had to setup nat to get the static route working. I just used:

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0

    and traffic flowed from Ethernet0/0 to Serial0/0 automatically without having to specify nat.

    Is this because when you configure a Serial port for outside connection, the router would automatically uses nat?

    Again - thank you for your help.

    bk2007, Aug 29, 2007
  4. bk2007

    hinka

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2006
    Messages:
    26
    192.168.1.0/24 are private ip which is not routable on the internet..you need public ip to reach the internet..thats why you need NAT

    hinka, Aug 30, 2007