    drive that is set up for dynamic and when I right click I get the options.
    Any suggestions?

    Marc
    Marc, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Marc

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:42:51 -0400, Marc wrote:

    >I'm running XP Pro and have 4 HD with multiple partition. I'm trying to
    >replace an EIDE with a SATA II HD. The computer sees the drive but when I

    Think about the questions, I don'r really need the answers but you may
    think of somethuing.

    Sees it how? As a disk unpartioned, partitioned from another PC or
    something else.

    >go to set it up as a basic drive I don't get that option. I have another

    At least 'sees' here means you get as far as disk management if you are
    trying to get the options to format it.

    Sounds a bit odd as it's a different disk on a different controller. Did
    you install any required drivers?

    You say you don't get the basic disk option, you don't say what options
    you do get.

    >drive that is set up for dynamic and when I right click I get the options.
    >Any suggestions?

    This other drive matters how? It's a different drive, different
    controller, unknown what volumes or storage types you have setup.

    It's assumed you aren't wanting to use any dynamic features across the 2
    disks you mention? Might makes things a bit easier.

    Try a look,
    http://www.petri.co.il/difference_between_basic_and_dynamic_disks_in_windows_xp_2000_2003.htm

    How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
    This article describes how to convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk,
    and how to change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk by using the Disk
    Management ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044 - Similar pages

    Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
    Microsoft Windows XP offers two types of disk storage: basic and
    dynamic. ... Windows XP does not support these multidisk basic volumes.
    Any volume sets ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343 - Similar pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks
    Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks. Up to this point everything
    that has been discussed in this article has related to Basic disks, but
    Windows XP ...
    www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

    Me
    why?, Nov 3, 2007

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I must have misread the web pages that I found. They all said to right
    click on the black bar and I would get a drop down menu and this would be an
    option I tried over and over again and this never worked. I finally started
    a Windows installation created a small partition went back into Windows and
    finished from there round about but worked. I was messing around and right
    clicked on the header at the left of the drive and there was that menu
    really frustrating.

    Thanks,

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 6, 2007
  4. Marc

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:47:13 -0500, Marc wrote:

    >I must have misread the web pages that I found. They all said to right
    >click on the black bar and I would get a drop down menu and this would be an
    >option I tried over and over again and this never worked. I finally started

    <grin> You do get a menu it's new partition / something else and Help.
    Most likely just what you read. Haven't had it not work.

    >a Windows installation created a small partition went back into Windows and
    >finished from there round about but worked. I was messing around and right
    >clicked on the header at the left of the drive and there was that menu
    >really frustrating.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Marc

    >> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:42:51 -0400, Marc wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm running XP Pro and have 4 HD with multiple partition. I'm trying to
    >>>replace an EIDE with a SATA II HD. The computer sees the drive but when I

    >> Think about the questions, I don'r really need the answers but you may
    >> think of somethuing.
    >>
    >> Sees it how? As a disk unpartioned, partitioned from another PC or
    >> something else.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 6, 2007