    this problem on my old 98SE machine but the cards were different this is
    driving me crazy.

    Marc
    Marc, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Marc

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:00:31 +0000, Marc Has Frothed:

    > Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the
    > equalizer in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static.
    > Will moving the video card and the sound card to slot further apart help?
    > Now they are in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The video card is
    > a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound Blaster Live. I
    > didn't have this problem on my old 98SE machine but the cards were
    > different this is driving me crazy.
    >
    > Marc

    Give it a try and see what happens.

    Meat Plow, Aug 22, 2006

  3. "Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the
    > equalizer in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static.
    > Will moving the video card and the sound card to slot further apart help?
    > Now they are in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The video card is
    > a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound Blaster Live. I
    > didn't have this problem on my old 98SE machine but the cards were
    > different this is driving me crazy.

    Has your motherboard got a VIA chipset?

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Aug 22, 2006
  4. Marc

    John Holmes Guest

    Marc "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the
    > equalizer in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static.
    > Will moving the video card and the sound card to slot further apart
    > help? Now they are in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The
    > video card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound
    > Blaster Live. I didn't have this problem on my old 98SE machine but
    > the cards were different this is driving me crazy.
    >
    > Marc

    Is your system grounded properly?

    --
    Your mother was a dim-witted compulsive liar who danced naked in
    graveyards.
    John Holmes, Aug 22, 2006
  5. Marc

    Marc Guest

    It's an ABit KR7A which apparently does have a VIA chipset. Why?

    Marc

    Marc, Aug 22, 2006
  6. "Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > It's an ABit KR7A which apparently does have a VIA chipset. Why?

    When Win2000 came out I remember having a lot of crackling and popping
    noises from my SB Live! card with my Asus board that had a VIA chipset. It
    was a common problem. Some people said that PCI latency patches or that
    certain issues of the VIA 4in1 drivers cured it, but I never got it cured
    until I stopped messing around with those. I think that some later MS
    update fro the PCI bus in Win2000 or XP finally cured it. Just make sure
    you have XP fully updated and patched up.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Aug 23, 2006
  7. "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in message

    > "Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> It's an ABit KR7A which apparently does have a VIA chipset. Why?
    >>

    > When Win2000 came out I remember having a lot of crackling and popping
    > noises from my SB Live! card with my Asus board that had a VIA chipset.
    > It was a common problem. Some people said that PCI latency patches or
    > that certain issues of the VIA 4in1 drivers cured it, but I never got it
    > cured until I stopped messing around with those. I think that some later
    > MS update fro the PCI bus in Win2000 or XP finally cured it. Just make
    > sure you have XP fully updated and patched up.

    Another thing that you could try is adjust your PCI latency timings in your
    BIOS. I'd suggest you serach Google for forum discussions.

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=VIA chipset soundblaster live noise&meta=

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&q=VIA chipset soundblaster live noise&sa=N&tab=wg

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Aug 23, 2006
  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Thanks I change the BIOS and everything is working great.

    Marc

    Marc, Aug 23, 2006
  9. "Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks I change the BIOS and everything is working great.

    That's good. But what do you mean? What settings did you change?

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Aug 23, 2006