    resubscribe.

    Using outlook express.

    dfs

    DFS, Apr 25, 2006

  2. DFS wrote:
    > Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing
    > normal activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since
    > yesterday afternoon. WEIRD !!
    >
    > I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
    > tried a resubscribe.
    >
    > Using outlook express.
    >
    > dfs

    Well it is going to be difficult for someone to reply since it appears
    you have not provided a valid e-mail and you can't read this response.

    In any case I have not had any problems It is most likely as problem
    with a server that is echoing messages.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 25, 2006

  3. DFS

    Jim Guest

    "DFS" <> wrote in message news:b1s3g.2182$q%6.1749@trnddc01...
    > Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing
    > normal activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since yesterday
    > afternoon. WEIRD !!
    >
    > I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even tried
    > a resubscribe.
    >
    > Using outlook express.
    >
    > dfs

    Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
    unresponsive every now and then.
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 25, 2006
  4. DFS

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:16 GMT, Jim wrote:

    >> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
    >> tried a resubscribe.
    >>
    >> Using outlook express.

    > Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
    > unresponsive every now and then.

    News servers also occasionally have their message databases
    compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
    new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
    newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
    do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
    doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
    followed by resubscribe might work.

    ASAAR, Apr 25, 2006
  5. DFS

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:40:59 -0400, in rec.photo.digital ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:16 GMT, Jim wrote:
    >
    >>> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
    >>> tried a resubscribe.
    >>>
    >>> Using outlook express.

    >> Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
    >> unresponsive every now and then.

    > News servers also occasionally have their message databases
    >compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
    >new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
    >newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
    >do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
    >doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
    >followed by resubscribe might work.

    One other thing you could try is a "Get all posts" in the group. Don't
    know how to do that in OE, though.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Apr 25, 2006
  6. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:16 GMT, Jim wrote:
    >
    >>> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
    >>> tried a resubscribe.
    >>>
    >>> Using outlook express.

    >> Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
    >> unresponsive every now and then.

    > News servers also occasionally have their message databases
    > compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
    > new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
    > newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
    > do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
    > doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
    > followed by resubscribe might work.

    An alternative is to download and use, say Thunderbird, at least to
    check the NG, and to have a backup News client always ready.
    http://www.mozilla.org/. T-bird is cross platform, $0.00.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 25, 2006
  7. DFS

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:16:19 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    > An alternative is to download and use, say Thunderbird, at least to
    > check the NG, and to have a backup News client always ready.
    > http://www.mozilla.org/. T-bird is cross platform, $0.00.

    That would help, but then what? If the OP continued to use
    Thunderbird the problem would be solved. But if he/she wanted to
    get back to using OE (bleaahh) the problem would remain . . .

    Having backup newsreaders/clients is a good idea, even if it's the
    same one. I have at least half a dozen versions of Agent installed.
    If I reconfigure any one version or upgrade it and it stops working,
    it takes only seconds to tell if the fault lies with the changed
    version or elsewhere. I hope Thunderbird manages newsgroups well.
    I've tried using Mozilla for newsgroups and was less than impressed.
    Agent isn't multi-platform, but a free version is available that
    lacks a few features but still remains quite usable.

    ASAAR, Apr 25, 2006
  8. DFS

    Don Dunlap Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:16 GMT, Jim wrote:
    >
    >>> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
    >>> tried a resubscribe.
    >>>
    >>> Using outlook express.

    >> Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
    >> unresponsive every now and then.

    > News servers also occasionally have their message databases
    > compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
    > new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
    > newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
    > do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
    > doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
    > followed by resubscribe might work.

    Outlook Express is not a News Server.

    Don

    Don Dunlap, Apr 25, 2006
  9. DFS

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:48:02 -0400, Don Dunlap wrote:

    >> News servers also occasionally have their message databases
    >> compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
    >> new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
    >> newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
    >> do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
    >> doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
    >> followed by resubscribe might work.
    >>

    > Outlook Express is not a News Server.

    True enough. It's a news client, aka a newsreader, which to be
    useful should occasionally connect with a news server. Just FYI,
    Agent (which I use) is also a newsreader, but you probably know that
    too. In any case if Microsoft desires to satisfy any "Truth In
    Advertising" requirements, their news servers should probably be
    called Lookout, not Outlook. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 26, 2006
  10. ASAAR wrote:

    >> Outlook Express is not a News Server.

    > True enough. It's a news client, aka a newsreader

    And it's only that by the loosest possible definition :)

    --
    www.ericschreiber.com

    Eric Schreiber, Apr 26, 2006
  11. DFS

    Mitch Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:22:31 GMT, DFS said...

    >Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing normal
    >activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since yesterday afternoon.
    >WEIRD !!
    >
    >I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even tried a
    >resubscribe.
    >
    >Using outlook express.
    >
    >dfs

    I access rec.photo.digital through Newsguy.com and have received new posts
    during the time period that you mentioned. Just a few random thoughts that may
    relate to your situation...

    - Connect to rec.photo.digital with your Outlook Express, and do a "Catch Up"
    command to see if you can retrieve the new articles.

    - If that doesn't work, highlight rec.photo.digital within the "Folders" column,
    right mouse click and select "Properties". Go to the "Local File" tab, click the
    "Reset" button, click the "Yes" button. From there download a fresh list of
    headers/messages from the group.

    - If none of the above works, you may have a temporary problem with your news
    server as a few others have mentioned. The server may be handling the articles
    out of synch, backlogging them, or dropping articles altogether due to some type
    of problem. You should be able to check with your provider on this item.

    Mitch

    Mitch, Apr 26, 2006
  12. DFS

    Rich Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:22:31 GMT, "DFS" <> wrote:

    >Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing normal
    >activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since yesterday afternoon.
    >WEIRD !!
    >
    >I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even tried a
    >resubscribe.
    >
    >Using outlook express.
    >
    >dfs

    Your service provider's news server is on the blink.
    I've seen this before.

    Rich, Apr 26, 2006
  13. DFS <> wrote:
    > Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing normal
    > activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since yesterday afternoon.
    > WEIRD !!
    >
    > I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even tried a
    > resubscribe.

    Most likely an issue with your client.

    > Using outlook express.

    Definitely an issue with your client! You need to pull down fresh headers as
    if the group was new. I forget how to do this with Outlook Express.
    Unsubscribing from the group and resubscribing *might* work. I do know there
    is an option to get *ALL* headers, and that is what you need to do. Most
    likely your client got confused by an out of sequence numbering scheme.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 26, 2006
  14. DFS

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing
    >>normal activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since
    >>yesterday afternoon. WEIRD !!
    >>
    >>I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
    >>tried a resubscribe.
    >>
    >>Using outlook express.
    >>
    >>dfs

    > Well it is going to be difficult for someone to reply since it appears
    > you have not provided a valid e-mail and you can't read this response.
    >
    > In any case I have not had any problems It is most likely as problem
    > with a server that is echoing messages.

    I have had similar problems (though the most common one is that the
    reader only downloads a small fraction of the number of messages the
    reader says are there before it downloads the messages).

    My ISP finally admitted the problem is with their feed, but they will
    not do anything about it. So few of their users now use Usenet that it
    is a disappearing resource, and they will find life easier when it
    disappears. Web based and Yahoo email discussion groups are definitely
    replacing Usenet. Of my internet using friends, I find fewer than 5%
    even know Usenet exists, and even fewer use it.

    I use Google groups as a backup. When I see problems on a given day I
    leave the newsreader and go to the groups at Google. Google groups
    covers the vast majority of Usenet groups, including this one. I still
    prefer a news reader, but GG is a backup.

    Don Stauffer, Apr 26, 2006
  15. DFS

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Don Stauffer, Apr 26, 2006
  16. DFS

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Don Stauffer, Apr 26, 2006
  17. DFS

    E.m.i.r. Guest

    DFS wrote:
    > Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing
    > normal activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since
    > yesterday afternoon. WEIRD !!
    >
    > I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
    > tried a resubscribe.
    >
    > Using outlook express.
    >
    > dfs

    right click on rec.photo.digital > properties > last tab on the right LOcal
    file > click on Reset > then download all headers/messages again

    In OExpress check the option about number of headers
    Tools > options > Read > News > Get /999/ headers at a time

    E.m.i.r., May 3, 2006