  1. Flintstone

    Flintstone Guest

    No one wished the Hard Drive happy birthday on Wednesday when it turned 50.
    Flintstone, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Flintstone <> wrote:

    > No one wished the Hard Drive happy birthday on Wednesday when it turned 50.

    Who built the first one?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Flintstone

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <1hlptgj.bb3oay8oa8c7N%>,
    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    > Flintstone <> wrote:
    >
    > > No one wished the Hard Drive happy birthday on Wednesday when it turned 50.

    > Who built the first one?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    IBM 1956.
    Who Am I, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Flintstone

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > Flintstone <> wrote:
    >
    >> No one wished the Hard Drive happy birthday on Wednesday when it turned
    >> 50.

    > Who built the first one?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Some stiff who's long gone by now.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 15, 2006
  5. Flintstone

    Enkidu Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    >> Flintstone <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> No one wished the Hard Drive happy birthday on Wednesday when it turned
    >>> 50.

    >> Who built the first one?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Some stiff who's long gone by now.

    Assuming he/she might have been 30 at the time, there is a fair
    possibility that he/she is still alive.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Sep 15, 2006
  6. Flintstone

    Earl Grey Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message

    >>> Who built the first one?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> Some stiff who's long gone by now.
    >>

    > Assuming he/she might have been 30 at the time, there is a fair
    > possibility that he/she is still alive.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Shuffled off to the great server room in 1998 apparently

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynold_B._Johnson
    Earl Grey, Sep 15, 2006
  7. Flintstone

    Enkidu Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message

    >>> Some stiff who's long gone by now.
    >>>

    >> Assuming he/she might have been 30 at the time, there is a fair
    >> possibility that he/she is still alive.

    > Shuffled off to the great server room in 1998 apparently
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynold_B._Johnson

    Ah, so he was 50 at the time. A bit old for an innovator.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Sep 15, 2006
  8. Flintstone

    Jerry Guest

    Flintstone wrote:
    > No one wished the Hard Drive happy birthday on Wednesday when it turned 50.

    Someone did a few weeks ago. That first drive had 50 disks, 24 inches
    (60cm) in diameter. It had 2 heads that moved up and down a shaft and
    were inserted into the right disk. Access time was .6 seconds average.
    The heads were held off the disk surface by pumping air through holes
    in the heads as it hadn't been discovered yet tht heads could fly on the
    laminar airflow over the disk. Total capacity was 5 million characters.
    An engineering model was demonstrated to the public in May 1955,
    manufacture in quantity in 1Q 1957. Over a thousand were built until
    production ended in 1961.
    Jerry, Sep 15, 2006
  9. Flintstone

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:00:03 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Ah, so he was 50 at the time. A bit old for an innovator.

    Ha! Age has nothing to do with inovation.
    Gordon, Sep 16, 2006
  10. Flintstone

    peterwn Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Flintstone wrote:
    > > No one wished the Hard Drive happy birthday on Wednesday when it turned 50.

    > Someone did a few weeks ago. That first drive had 50 disks, 24 inches
    > (60cm) in diameter. It had 2 heads that moved up and down a shaft and
    > were inserted into the right disk. Access time was .6 seconds average.

    And the first ones were for a USAF inventory system where a random
    access device was needed. Prior to that data processing was sorting
    and batching.
    peterwn, Sep 16, 2006
  11. Flintstone

    Jerry Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >>Flintstone wrote:
    >>
    >>>No one wished the Hard Drive happy birthday on Wednesday when it turned 50.

    >>Someone did a few weeks ago. That first drive had 50 disks, 24 inches
    >>(60cm) in diameter. It had 2 heads that moved up and down a shaft and
    >>were inserted into the right disk. Access time was .6 seconds average.

    > And the first ones were for a USAF inventory system where a random
    > access device was needed. Prior to that data processing was sorting
    > and batching.

    The first ones were for a system called RAMAC (Random Access Method of
    Accounting and Control). It wasn't for a USAF system, and I don't know
    if the AF bought one or not.

    http://www.ieee.org/web/aboutus/history_center/ramac.html
    http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ibm-305-ramac.html
    Jerry, Sep 16, 2006
  12. Flintstone

    Enkidu Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:00:03 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, so he was 50 at the time. A bit old for an innovator.

    > Ha! Age has nothing to do with inovation.

    Obviously, with that innovative spelling of 'inovation'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Sep 17, 2006