I'm going insane!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Creeper, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Creeper

    Creeper Guest

    Please help me - I think I'm going to explode with frustration.

    I've been trying to decide on a camera for about a month, and seem no
    closer to making a decision. In fact, the more I look into it, the
    more confused I become!

    I've been trying to compare the Minolta A1, A2, Nikon 8700, and Fuji
    S20. I want a high end compact (because I cant afford a DSLR) which
    has good manual control, for photographing unusual things including
    fireworks.

    I had thought the 8700 would be perfect for my needs, even though the
    remote cord has a crazy price tag. I'm used to SLR, and would
    definately miss the focus rings, and optics, but it's something I can
    do without, and I'm not going to be doing much fast paced stuff. I
    really want lots of pixels to play with in Photoshop.

    The problem is reading reviews. I've read so much stuff saying this
    camera is a pile of shit, then people saying it's wonderful. I just
    don't know anymore.

    I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy it. Am I going to be
    dissapointed?
    Should I save up and get the cheapest DSLR?

    Please help me!
    Creeper, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Yep....that is how it is. Have you been to www.DPReview.com ? That is the
    place to start. Read what he has on the cameras you know about. Run a
    comparison between them on their search engine. Run a search on the features
    you like and see if there are other with these features. Then go to Costo
    can ask the teenager behind the counter which camera they have is the
    cheapest and buy that one.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Creeper

    Canongirly Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > Yep....that is how it is. Have you been to www.DPReview.com ? That is the
    > place to start. Read what he has on the cameras you know about. Run a
    > comparison between them on their search engine. Run a search on the

    features
    > you like and see if there are other with these features. Then go to Costo
    > can ask the teenager behind the counter which camera they have is the
    > cheapest and buy that one.

    or get a s/h Canon D-30
    Canongirly, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Well you say you can't afford a D-SLR. But frankly, by the time you pay $800
    for a Nikon 8700, you are THAT close to a Canon Digital Rebel or Pentax *ist
    DS . The Nikon D70 is a bit more, but worth it. The only advantage for the
    all-in-ones is that you won't need to clean any digital sensors and you
    won't have to lug lenses around. But if your concern is money, frankly
    there's little if any price advantage to those models.

    Cameras like the one you mentioned actually can take great photographs. The
    main thing is that you have to stick with the lowest ISO value possible,
    whereas if you need higher ISO values in low-light situations the D-SLRs do
    a FAR better job than the "all-in-one" models do, MUCH better. That's simply
    because the physical size of their sensors is smaller. Also, the D-SLRs tend
    to be more responsive than the all-in-ones; the Nikon D70 (admitedly, a tad
    higher than the Digital Rebel or Pentax * ist DS) is especially quick and
    responsive.

    As for the 8-megapixel all-in-ones, Dpreview.com gives the highest rating to
    the Olympus C-8080. The Sony DSC-F828, Coolpix 8700, Canon Powershot Pro 1,
    and Fuji Finepix S7000 get the "Recommended" rating, the Sony barely so. And
    with all of those--with the possible exception of the Fuji, which is a bit
    cheaper--by the time you pay for any of those, you could've had the Canon
    Digital Rebel or Pentax *ist DS. The Nikon D70 is a tad higher but not all
    that much, and if you have any Nikon SLR lenses made in the past few years
    that would surely help. (Obviously the same would go for the other 2 as
    well.)

    If you want a higher-grade "prosumer" camera but really can't afford a
    D-SLR, consider either the Sony DSC-F717 or Nikon Coolpix 5700. It's hard to
    find the Sony in stores but you could find it on eBay for sure, and in fact
    Dpreview.com doesn't have either listed under "Discontinued" models. Both
    used to sell for close to a grand, they are cheaper since 8-megapixel
    upgrades went on sale, you can get either of these 2 fine cameras for close
    to $500 now. Both are 5-megapixels, and actually that is plenty for
    photo-quality 8x10s of practically anything; heck, many have stated they've
    gotten 11x14s from them that looked really good.

    Both offer plenty of the "photographer's options," the Nikon a tad more
    (control of saturation, contrast and noise reduction). The Sony's
    autofocusing is better in low-light and has longer battery life, the Nikon
    has more of a feature set, shoots RAWs, has 8x zoom vs 5x zoom for the Sony
    (though the Sony's is "faster,") a swivel LCD (although the Sony's entire
    body swivels) and uses Compact Flash rather than the propreitary Memory
    Stick used by Sony, and the Nikon does much better macros. Both are "Highly
    Recommended" by Dpreview.com and are real "instruments" as opposed to being
    a "snapshooter" type of camera. I think you'd be well pleased either way. In
    particular, their price difference is enough that you won't feel like you
    were THAT close to a D-SLR but "settled," a feeling you're guaranteed to
    have if you go the other models listed.

    Both cameras tend to be biggish by "all-in-one" standards, though certainly
    more compact than any D-SLR. If you want something more compact, consider
    the Nikon Coolpix 5400, which has 5-megapixels and shoots RAWs but is
    particularly distinguishable for its 28mm wide-angle zoom (28-116mm). The
    Sony DSC-V1--just replaced by the DSC-V3--is similar and highly
    recommended--and a tad cheaper--but doesn't shoot RAWs and uses the Memory
    Stick rather than Compact Flash. The Olympus C-5050 is another good choice
    in this class. Ditto the Canon Powershot G3, which is 4 megapixels vs 5 for
    the others but is really good to the extent I don't think you'd miss the
    megapixel. (The Canon Powershot G5? Not a bad choice, but most seem to
    actually prefer the G3.)

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Creeper

    John Doe Guest

    Creeper wrote:
    > Please help me - I think I'm going to explode with frustration.
    >
    > I've been trying to decide on a camera for about a month, and seem no
    > closer to making a decision. In fact, the more I look into it, the
    > more confused I become!

    Clearly go for a dSLR. The Canon 300D with 18-55mm kit goes for $869 on
    bhphotovideo or adorama. Add another $150 for a 1-2GB CF card and you
    are rolling.

    I don't know how does an Oly C-750 compare to the P&S you mentioned but
    for whatever its worth, let me share some experience about the Oly
    C-750.

    Its a great camera when you have enough light. For low-light and
    indoors, you often need a tripod. Also, most P&S come with electronic
    viewfinder which is horrible. Other than that, its a great camera and
    has enough manual control including a low ASA of 50 which even some
    dSLRs lack ((I always wondered why)) and shutter speed of 30sec which
    should be useful for fireworks.

    Again, if I were to buy a P&S again, I would buy the Panasonic FZ-20.
    Take a look at it - with the Leica lens and stabilized zoom, its a
    beauty for the price.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    John Doe, Sep 23, 2004
  6. Creeper

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>, Creeper
    <> writes
    >Please help me - I think I'm going to explode with frustration.
    >
    >I've been trying to decide on a camera for about a month

    If you only need one for a month, have you thought about hiring one?

    Snipped....
    --
    Tony Morgan
    Tony Morgan, Sep 23, 2004
  7. Creeper

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <ypA4d.8710$uz1.7833@trndny03>, Gene Palmiter
    <> writes
    >Yep....that is how it is. Have you been to www.DPReview.com ? That is
    >the place to start. Read what he has on the cameras you know about. Run
    >a comparison between them on their search engine. Run a search on the
    >features you like and see if there are other with these features. Then
    >go to Costo can ask the teenager behind the counter which camera they
    >have is the cheapest and buy that one.

    And if you're in the UK, find the cheapest supplier on the Internet,
    print out their price, go to Jessops and ask if they'll price-match
    (they invariable do).
    --
    Tony Morgan
    http://www.rhylonline.com
    Tony Morgan, Sep 23, 2004
  8. Creeper

    John Doe Guest

    Tony Morgan wrote:
    > In message <>, Creeper

    > <> writes
    > >Please help me - I think I'm going to explode with frustration.
    > >
    > >I've been trying to decide on a camera for about a month

    > If you only need one for a month, have you thought about hiring one?

    I think he meant that he's been looking for a month at the various
    options.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    John Doe, Sep 23, 2004
  9. Creeper

    mark_digital Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message news:...
    Tony Morgan wrote:
    > In message <>, Creeper

    > <> writes
    > >Please help me - I think I'm going to explode with frustration.
    > >
    > >I've been trying to decide on a camera for about a month

    > If you only need one for a month, have you thought about hiring one?

    I think he meant that he's been looking for a month at the various
    options.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    --------------------------
    --------------------------
    If he's looking for a month he could look at a calendar. What's the big deal?
    mark_
    mark_digital, Sep 23, 2004
  10. Creeper

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>, John
    Doe <> writes
    >Tony Morgan wrote:
    >> In message <>, Creeper

    >> <> writes
    >> >Please help me - I think I'm going to explode with frustration.
    >> >
    >> >I've been trying to decide on a camera for about a month

    >> If you only need one for a month, have you thought about hiring one?

    >I think he meant that he's been looking for a month at the various
    >options.

    I'm afraid you are sadly lacking a sense of humour. Try to get out more
    :)
    --
    Tony Morgan
    http://www.camcord.info
    Tony Morgan, Sep 24, 2004
  11. Creeper

    John Wright Guest

    "mark_digital" wrote

    > If he's looking for a month he could look at a calendar. What's the big
    > deal?
    > mark_

    You think that makes it easy to decide? Some months have 30 days, others 31.
    Some end on a Sunday, others on a Tuesday ...

    Having choices is indeed painful for some.

    JW
    John Wright, Sep 24, 2004
  12. Creeper

    Mark M Guest

    "Creeper" <> wrote in message

    > Should I save up and get the cheapest DSLR?

    Absolutely worth the wait.
    So, yes.
    Mark M, Sep 24, 2004
  13. Creeper

    Creeper Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message news:<jFO4d.334725$Oi.163723@fed1read04>...
    > "Creeper" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Should I save up and get the cheapest DSLR?

    > Absolutely worth the wait.
    > So, yes.

    Well, I think I'll save up and buy a 300d. Seems to be the most
    affordable DSLR, and I haven't heard any bad things about it.

    I was quite looking forward to doing some time-lapse with the Nikon
    8700. Are there any DSLRs with this capability, or is it a question
    of shooting it manually, and compiling it into a video?

    Also, can I assume that DSLRs will have unlimited bulb times, and can
    accept remote stutter release cables? I really need to do long
    exposures.

    Thanks for the advice - 'tis appreciated.

    I will see is Jessops will do me a price match - good idea!
    Creeper, Sep 24, 2004
  14. Creeper

    DM Guest

    (Creeper) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Please help me - I think I'm going to explode with frustration.
    >
    > I've been trying to decide on a camera for about a month, and seem no
    > closer to making a decision. In fact, the more I look into it, the
    > more confused I become!

    Someone mentioned dpreview.com. That is an OK place for technical
    reviews but the last place for opinions. The forums are worse than
    unmoderated / unfiltered usenet... raving and ranting at its best.
    DM, Sep 24, 2004
  15. Creeper

    John Doe Guest

    > > Please help me - I think I'm going to explode with frustration.
    > >
    > > I've been trying to decide on a camera for about a month, and seem

    no
    > > closer to making a decision. In fact, the more I look into it, the
    > > more confused I become!

    > Someone mentioned dpreview.com. That is an OK place for technical
    > reviews but the last place for opinions. The forums are worse than
    > unmoderated / unfiltered usenet... raving and ranting at its best.

    I look at:
    www.dpreview.com
    www.megapixel.net
    www.imaging-resource.com