I'm getting rid of Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by greg_____@dont.send.email.com, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm getting rid of Firefox and going back to IE. I am just plain fed
    up with FF taking hours to modify things using the most archaic
    methods possible. It reminds me of when I used to use Dos and Windows
    3.x. I am not a computer geek nor do I want to be. Yet, I consider
    myself an advanced computer user.

    I just hit the straw that broke the camels back. Last year I
    installed flashblock, because now a days flash is used for every damn
    ad, and I have a dialup connection, so I have to wait for all taht
    garbage to load. Yet, everytime I want to turn flash player back on,
    it takes me an hour or more because it dont have an icon on the
    toolbar and I have to go thru that dreaded "advanced preferences box".

    Now, I have a flash blocker for IE right on my desktop, and once click
    turns it off or on.

    So, I decided to upgrade flashblock, hoping the newer version has an
    icon on the toolbar. I go to mozilla.com, and it refuses to even give
    me the file, telling me I MUST upgrade to the latest Firefox. NO,
    dont fucking tell me I MUST do anything. I get furious when any
    software company tells me I MUST do anything. My old, and slow
    computer will NOT handle the newer version. I am below required
    system already, running FF 1.0.

    I finally find another site with flashblock, find out I need an older
    version (probably what I have), and click on "download". A tjhing
    pops up telling me I need to uninstall the older version first. Then
    it giives me a whole page of things I have to do, just to get rid of
    the goddamn thing, which included TWO reboots. Yeah, I got on my
    computer so I could spend the next 5 hours simply upgrading flashblock
    so it (might) actually be usable.

    You know what I say about that?.........
    **** FIREFOX.....
    Although I haev always liked many of the features after using it for
    about 3 years, I simply dont have the time or desire to spend hour
    after hour programming it. Not only that, but I still use IE about
    70% of the time, simply because FF takes too long to load.

    Thanks for listening and reading my cuss words, but I have just had it
    with FF. It may suit the computer geek that wants to spend all their
    time tinkering with it, but all I want to do is install it, spend 20
    minutes modifying the icons and layout, and use it without further
    hassle.

    By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to IE
    format?

    Thanks

    Greg
    , Mar 6, 2006

  2. Z Guest

    wrote:
    > By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to IE
    > format?

    I don't know about FF 1.0, but in the most recent version it's:
    Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks > File > Export.
    Z, Mar 6, 2006

  3. Miller Guest

    ** wrote on 06.03.06 08:14:
    > I'm getting rid of Firefox and going back to IE. I am just plain fed
    > up with FF taking hours to modify things using the most archaic
    > methods possible. It reminds me of when I used to use Dos and Windows
    > 3.x. I am not a computer geek nor do I want to be. Yet, I consider
    > myself an advanced computer user.

    [..snip..]

    So, bye bye!

    > By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to IE
    > format?

    Maybe try in IE to import the Bookmarks? :-D

    bye, Miller
    Miller, Mar 6, 2006
  4. kes Guest

    "Miller" <> wrote in message
    > ** wrote on 06.03.06 08:14:
    >> I'm getting rid of Firefox and going back to IE. I am just plain
    >> fed
    >> up with FF taking hours to modify things using the most archaic
    >> methods possible. It reminds me of when I used to use Dos and
    >> Windows
    >> 3.x. I am not a computer geek nor do I want to be. Yet, I consider
    >> myself an advanced computer user.

    > [..snip..]
    >
    > So, bye bye!
    >
    >> By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to
    >> IE
    >> format?

    > Maybe try in IE to import the Bookmarks? :-D
    >
    > bye, Miller

    ....and don't forget to remove yourself from the list of 151,000,000
    Firefox downloads
    http://ff.asbjorn.it/ .. lets keep the figures accurate.
    kes, Mar 6, 2006
  5. > I get furious when any
    > software company tells me I MUST do anything. My old, and slow
    > computer will NOT handle the newer version. I am below required
    > system already, running FF 1.0.

    "Advanced Computer User"? I'm afraid that means a little more than "I
    know how to turn my computer on *AND* off".

    You are running a shitty computer. You are running an outdated version
    of Firefox, and even that is too sophisticated for your computer. You
    refuse to upgrade to the latest version just because you are told to.
    AND you're on dial-up. Man you must be the most advanced computer user
    I've ever heard of. I'll bet you're on AOL too? LOL

    But I'm still searching for anything in your message that is Firefox's
    fault. Flashblock is a "third party" extension.

    > Thanks for listening and reading my cuss words

    That's fine. I enjoy watching people make fools of themselves.

    > By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to IE
    > format?

    If IE is so much simpler, why do you have to ask?
    Good riddance.

    Bryan
    Bryan Harrison, Mar 6, 2006
  6. Guest

    On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:21:18 +0000 (UTC), Bryan Harrison
    <> wrote:

    > > I get furious when any
    >> software company tells me I MUST do anything. My old, and slow
    >> computer will NOT handle the newer version. I am below required
    >> system already, running FF 1.0.

    >"Advanced Computer User"? I'm afraid that means a little more than "I
    >know how to turn my computer on *AND* off".
    >
    >You are running a shitty computer. You are running an outdated version
    >of Firefox, and even that is too sophisticated for your computer. You
    >refuse to upgrade to the latest version just because you are told to.
    >AND you're on dial-up. Man you must be the most advanced computer user
    >I've ever heard of. I'll bet you're on AOL too? LOL
    >
    >But I'm still searching for anything in your message that is Firefox's
    >fault. Flashblock is a "third party" extension.
    >
    >> Thanks for listening and reading my cuss words

    >That's fine. I enjoy watching people make fools of themselves.
    >
    >> By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to IE
    >> format?

    >If IE is so much simpler, why do you have to ask?
    >Good riddance.
    >
    >Bryan

    Well, I'll tell you what. Send me $1000, and I'll buy the latest
    fastest computer with Windows XP, instead of my Pent233 with Win98.
    Maybe you have unlimited income. I am old and retired and I live on a
    fixed income well below poverty level, and this old comoputer cost me
    $10 plus another $30 to add more memory. It's better than nothing.
    Maybe when you get old and have to live on about $500 a month from
    Social Security, maybe you wont be such a big shot. You are probably a
    young punk now, but we all get old and you will too.

    And I'm sure you live in a hi-rise condo in some big city where you
    have to deal with all the gangs and rapes and murders, and all the
    traffic jams, BUT you have access to the fastest internet service.
    Well, I would not be caught dead living in a city. I live out in the
    country on a farm, and although all we can get is dialup internet
    service, I would not trade the country for any stinky polluted city
    regardless how fast internet I could get.

    And I have been working with computers since the mid 80's when I
    started with dos. Yes, I COULD do all the crap that FF wants me to do
    to remove and reinstall that crappy utility, but I have priorities in
    my life, and they DO NOT include printing that whole page, going thru
    about 25 steps to remove the piece of crap, then reinstalling it, and
    finally completing the task about 5 hours later, most likely only to
    find it's still lacking an icon, because I think it's the same
    version. When you get to my age, you dont waste time on crap like
    this. I dont have that many years left and I am going to enjoy them,
    not waste the rest of my life on a computer.

    Firefox has alot to offer, but they make no effort to make it easy.
    They insist on making a person use all those extensions and use those
    horrid advanced preferences. The software is geared toward the geeks,
    not toward those that just want to surf the web and have the average
    user options handy. Until they do, people will be forced to use that
    virus trap called IE, which works quite well and easily, despite the
    security bugs.

    If anyone from Firefox actually reads this newsgroup (which I doubt),
    maybe it's time FF stops FORCING people to upgrade (like Microsoft
    does), and start making simple software. Go ahead and allow all the
    geeky stuff that the average person dont need, but include the basic
    utilities that we all need, such as flash blocking.
    , Mar 6, 2006
  7. Jim Scott Guest

    On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 04:41:49 -0600, wrote:

> [...]

    > not waste the rest of my life on a computer.
    >
    > Firefox has alot to offer, but they make no effort to make it easy.
    > They insist on making a person use all those extensions and use those
    > horrid advanced preferences. The software is geared toward the geeks,
    > not toward those that just want to surf the web and have the average
    > user options handy. Until they do, people will be forced to use that
    > virus trap called IE, which works quite well and easily, despite the
    > security bugs.
    >
    > If anyone from Firefox actually reads this newsgroup (which I doubt),
    > maybe it's time FF stops FORCING people to upgrade (like Microsoft
    > does), and start making simple software. Go ahead and allow all the
    > geeky stuff that the average person dont need, but include the basic
    > utilities that we all need, such as flash blocking.

    So use Seamonkey (was Mozilla)
    No extensions necessary unless you're a geek.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    Jim Scott, Mar 6, 2006
  8. > Maybe when you get old and have to live on about $500 a month from
    > Social Security, maybe you wont be such a big shot. You are probably a
    > young punk now, but we all get old and you will too.

    Sure I will get old, but hopefully I won't be so bitter about it, that I
    feel the need to complain because the industry is moving on and
    leaving me behind.

    > And I'm sure you live in a hi-rise condo in some big city where you
    > have to deal with all the gangs and rapes and murders, and all the
    > traffic jams, BUT you have access to the fastest internet service.
    > Well, I would not be caught dead living in a city. I live out in the
    > country on a farm, and although all we can get is dialup internet
    > service, I would not trade the country for any stinky polluted city
    > regardless how fast internet I could get.

    Move to the UK. You can get broadband is most places. Even farms.

    > When you get to my age, you dont waste time on crap like
    > this. I dont have that many years left and I am going to enjoy them,
    > not waste the rest of my life on a computer.

    Again. Complain to the author of the extension. Firefox is simple to
    install. Simple to use. And even simple to uninstall.
    For your specific needs you have found an add-on that works better with
    IE than Firefox. Good for you. Firefox isn't the best at everything.
    There are a lot of IE add-ons that aren't written well too. But I guess
    that's Microsoft's fault?

    > Firefox has alot to offer, but they make no effort to make it easy.
    > They insist on making a person use all those extensions and use those
    > horrid advanced preferences. The software is geared toward the geeks,
    > not toward those that just want to surf the web and have the average
    > user options handy. Until they do, people will be forced to use that
    > virus trap called IE, which works quite well and easily, despite the
    > security bugs.

    Firefox works well out of the box and the beauty is that it isn't
    bloated by unnecessary crap. Plus it offers the users, who want to learn
    , the chance to enhance it with a multitude of extensions.
    But sure, if you just want simple, MFI technology. Stick with IE.

    > If anyone from Firefox actually reads this newsgroup (which I doubt),
    > maybe it's time FF stops FORCING people to upgrade (like Microsoft
    > does), and start making simple software.

    Forcing people to upgrade? Oh dear. You'll be throwing some stupid human
    rights argument in next. How do you expect to get new features without
    upgrading.
    Do you expect Microsoft to continue developing new features for Windows 98?

    > geeky stuff that the average person dont need, but include the basic
    > utilities that we all need, such as flash blocking.

    If may be basic for you. But it's something I've never wanted or needed.
    IE doesn't come with it, why should Firefox?
    At the end of the day. You have a low spec computer. You can't expect
    developers to waste their time on outdated technology. So don't waste
    your time on new software. You might save yourself an ulcer.

    Bryan
    Bryan Harrison, Mar 6, 2006
  9. Jedi Fans Guest

    Re:[OT]I'm getting rid of Firefox

    On 06/03/06 10:41, scribbled:
    > Well, I'll tell you what. Send me $1000, and I'll buy the latest
    > fastest computer with Windows XP, instead of my Pent233 with Win98.

    Rather than be stuck with win98, what you could do is goto
    http://cheeplinux.com and order a $10 set of CDs of SUSE
    Linux 10.0 [See under Major distributions], that way you
    have no need to upgrade your computer, XP isn't worth it
    anyway :p. That means you can run the latest software on
    your mediocre machine. [If my hard drive was ok on my old
    133Mhz machine, SUSE 10.0 would run on there].

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5,
    Jedi Fans, Mar 6, 2006
  10. Jedi Fans Guest

    Re: [OT]I'm getting rid of Firefox

    On 06/03/06 16:16, Jedi Fans scribbled:

    Or what about $299 for a Koobox? <url:http://www.koobox.com/>

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,
    Jedi Fans, Mar 6, 2006
  11. kes Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:21:18 +0000 (UTC), Bryan Harrison
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I get furious when any
    >>> software company tells me I MUST do anything. My old, and slow
    >>> computer will NOT handle the newer version. I am below required
    >>> system already, running FF 1.0.

    >> "Advanced Computer User"? I'm afraid that means a little more than
    >> "I know how to turn my computer on *AND* off".
    >>
    >> You are running a shitty computer. You are running an outdated
    >> version of Firefox, and even that is too sophisticated for your
    >> computer. You refuse to upgrade to the latest version just because
    >> you are told to. AND you're on dial-up. Man you must be the most
    >> advanced computer user I've ever heard of. I'll bet you're on AOL
    >> too? LOL
    >>
    >> But I'm still searching for anything in your message that is
    >> Firefox's fault. Flashblock is a "third party" extension.
    >>
    >>> Thanks for listening and reading my cuss words

    >> That's fine. I enjoy watching people make fools of themselves.
    >>
    >>> By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to
    >>> IE format?

    >> If IE is so much simpler, why do you have to ask?
    >> Good riddance.
    >>
    >> Bryan

    > Well, I'll tell you what. Send me $1000, and I'll buy the latest
    > fastest computer with Windows XP, instead of my Pent233 with Win98.

    Greg

    I run Firefox 1.5, on a Pentium 300, using win NT (even older than
    your Win 98!). It is not any slower than FF1.0. I have no
    speed issues - though I am connected via cable (not dial-up). Loading
    up time cannot be your problem - you
    can fire up your browser before connecting via dial up. (You have time
    right ? - you are retired and the rush hour on the farm is not until
    milking time :)

    You are at liberty to change back to IE, of course, but just remember
    that in the 5 minutes that it takes for Windows 98 to boot up on your
    PC, IE is loading (in part, as part of the background).
    IE may allow you to 'Flashblock' easily, however it does not allow you
    to even update your software without Active X - the biggest gateway
    for scam artists.

    Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
    kes, Mar 6, 2006
  12. Z Guest

    Bryan Harrison wrote:
    > But sure, if you just want simple, MFI technology. Stick with IE.

    "MFI technology?"
    Z, Mar 6, 2006
  13. Sycoe Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm getting rid of Firefox and going back to IE. I am just plain fed
    > up with FF taking hours to modify things using the most archaic
    > methods possible. It reminds me of when I used to use Dos and Windows
    > 3.x. I am not a computer geek nor do I want to be. Yet, I consider
    > myself an advanced computer user.
    >
    > I just hit the straw that broke the camels back. Last year I
    > installed flashblock, because now a days flash is used for every damn
    > ad, and I have a dialup connection, so I have to wait for all taht
    > garbage to load. Yet, everytime I want to turn flash player back on,
    > it takes me an hour or more because it dont have an icon on the
    > toolbar and I have to go thru that dreaded "advanced preferences box".
    >
    > Now, I have a flash blocker for IE right on my desktop, and once click
    > turns it off or on.
    >
    > So, I decided to upgrade flashblock, hoping the newer version has an
    > icon on the toolbar. I go to mozilla.com, and it refuses to even give
    > me the file, telling me I MUST upgrade to the latest Firefox. NO,
    > dont fucking tell me I MUST do anything. I get furious when any
    > software company tells me I MUST do anything. My old, and slow
    > computer will NOT handle the newer version. I am below required
    > system already, running FF 1.0.
    >
    > I finally find another site with flashblock, find out I need an older
    > version (probably what I have), and click on "download". A tjhing
    > pops up telling me I need to uninstall the older version first. Then
    > it giives me a whole page of things I have to do, just to get rid of
    > the goddamn thing, which included TWO reboots. Yeah, I got on my
    > computer so I could spend the next 5 hours simply upgrading flashblock
    > so it (might) actually be usable.
    >
    > You know what I say about that?.........
    > **** FIREFOX.....
    > Although I haev always liked many of the features after using it for
    > about 3 years, I simply dont have the time or desire to spend hour
    > after hour programming it. Not only that, but I still use IE about
    > 70% of the time, simply because FF takes too long to load.
    >
    > Thanks for listening and reading my cuss words, but I have just had it
    > with FF. It may suit the computer geek that wants to spend all their
    > time tinkering with it, but all I want to do is install it, spend 20
    > minutes modifying the icons and layout, and use it without further
    > hassle.
    >
    > By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to IE
    > format?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Greg

    Is this you greg?

    > http://www.break.com/index/patiencechild.html

    Just checking.
    Sycoe, Mar 6, 2006
  14. Z wrote:
    > Bryan Harrison wrote:
    >> But sure, if you just want simple, MFI technology. Stick with IE.

    > "MFI technology?"

    They sell grotty flat-pack furniture in the UK. Unfortunately there's an
    outlet out the back of my house. At night it's lit up like a Tijuana
    brothel...
    David Harrison, Mar 6, 2006
  15. gwtc Guest

    wrote:

    > On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:21:18 +0000 (UTC), Bryan Harrison
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>>I get furious when any
    >>>software company tells me I MUST do anything. My old, and slow
    >>>computer will NOT handle the newer version. I am below required
    >>>system already, running FF 1.0.

    >>"Advanced Computer User"? I'm afraid that means a little more than "I
    >>know how to turn my computer on *AND* off".
    >>
    >>You are running a shitty computer. You are running an outdated version
    >>of Firefox, and even that is too sophisticated for your computer. You
    >>refuse to upgrade to the latest version just because you are told to.
    >>AND you're on dial-up. Man you must be the most advanced computer user
    >>I've ever heard of. I'll bet you're on AOL too? LOL
    >>
    >>But I'm still searching for anything in your message that is Firefox's
    >>fault. Flashblock is a "third party" extension.
    >>

    >>>Thanks for listening and reading my cuss words

    >>That's fine. I enjoy watching people make fools of themselves.
    >>

    >>>By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to IE
    >>>format?

    >>If IE is so much simpler, why do you have to ask?
    >>Good riddance.
    >>
    >>Bryan

    > Well, I'll tell you what. Send me $1000, and I'll buy the latest
    > fastest computer with Windows XP, instead of my Pent233 with Win98.

    Thats only an excuse. I used to use FF 1.5 on a P-133 with 64 megs of
    ram on a win98 system; and I certainly didn't have any problems.

    [snip complaining]
    gwtc, Mar 6, 2006
  16. gwtc Guest

    Z wrote:

    > Bryan Harrison wrote:
    >
    >>But sure, if you just want simple, MFI technology. Stick with IE.

    > "MFI technology?"

    my f**cking internet technology
    meldown flow indexer technology
    made for idiots technology
    microsoft foundation technology
    gwtc, Mar 6, 2006
  17. gwtc Guest

    Sycoe wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm getting rid of Firefox and going back to IE. I am just plain fed
    >>up with FF taking hours to modify things using the most archaic
    >>methods possible. It reminds me of when I used to use Dos and Windows
    >>3.x. I am not a computer geek nor do I want to be. Yet, I consider
    >>myself an advanced computer user.
    >>
    >>I just hit the straw that broke the camels back. Last year I
    >>installed flashblock, because now a days flash is used for every damn
    >>ad, and I have a dialup connection, so I have to wait for all taht
    >>garbage to load. Yet, everytime I want to turn flash player back on,
    >>it takes me an hour or more because it dont have an icon on the
    >>toolbar and I have to go thru that dreaded "advanced preferences box".
    >>
    >>Now, I have a flash blocker for IE right on my desktop, and once click
    >>turns it off or on.
    >>
    >>So, I decided to upgrade flashblock, hoping the newer version has an
    >>icon on the toolbar. I go to mozilla.com, and it refuses to even give
    >>me the file, telling me I MUST upgrade to the latest Firefox. NO,
    >>dont fucking tell me I MUST do anything. I get furious when any
    >>software company tells me I MUST do anything. My old, and slow
    >>computer will NOT handle the newer version. I am below required
    >>system already, running FF 1.0.
    >>
    >>I finally find another site with flashblock, find out I need an older
    >>version (probably what I have), and click on "download". A tjhing
    >>pops up telling me I need to uninstall the older version first. Then
    >>it giives me a whole page of things I have to do, just to get rid of
    >>the goddamn thing, which included TWO reboots. Yeah, I got on my
    >>computer so I could spend the next 5 hours simply upgrading flashblock
    >>so it (might) actually be usable.
    >>
    >>You know what I say about that?.........
    >>**** FIREFOX.....
    >>Although I haev always liked many of the features after using it for
    >>about 3 years, I simply dont have the time or desire to spend hour
    >>after hour programming it. Not only that, but I still use IE about
    >>70% of the time, simply because FF takes too long to load.
    >>
    >>Thanks for listening and reading my cuss words, but I have just had it
    >>with FF. It may suit the computer geek that wants to spend all their
    >>time tinkering with it, but all I want to do is install it, spend 20
    >>minutes modifying the icons and layout, and use it without further
    >>hassle.
    >>
    >>By the way, before I remove it, how can I convert my bookmarks to IE
    >>format?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Greg

    > Is this you greg?
    >

    >>http://www.break.com/index/patiencechild.html

    > Just checking.

    oh man, that was wonderful. Haven't had a good laugh for a long time.
    Thanks for that.
    gwtc, Mar 6, 2006
  18. aeidein Guest

    if your computer's too crappy to run ff or if you don't know how to use
    it properly, just use ie instead of wasting your life by whining about
    it. now, you're that much closer to death.
    aeidein, Mar 6, 2006
  19. elaich Guest

    wrote in

    > I just hit the straw that broke the camels back. Last year I
    > installed flashblock, because now a days flash is used for every damn
    > ad, and I have a dialup connection, so I have to wait for all taht
    > garbage to load. Yet, everytime I want to turn flash player back on,
    > it takes me an hour or more because it dont have an icon on the
    > toolbar and I have to go thru that dreaded "advanced preferences box".

    Obviously, you don't understand how Flashblock works. There is no need to
    turn anything back on. The Flash elemnts of the page load with a big
    "play" arrow in them, and all you have to do is click on the arrow to
    make it play.

    You are blaming Firefox and Flasblock for your own lack of understanding.
    You say you hate how long it takes Firefox to load. How about sitting
    there for minutes waiting for IE to load a page that Firefox loads in 30
    seconds?

    side roads because they are scared to get on the freeway.
    elaich, Mar 7, 2006
  20. MFI - Made For Idiots. Named after a flat-pack furniture manufacturer in
    the UK. Like Ikea but without the quality. i.e. looks good, looks
    simple, looks cheap, but underneath it's a pile of poo.

    Bryan

    Bryan Harrison, Mar 7, 2006