    Barry
    --
    Please remove (Unwanted) before any reply

    Barry, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Barry

    Harrison Guest

    Safe Mode is rearranging, not defrag.
    Safe mode is 640 x 480 base video.
    When you boot to safe mode and your icons are set to auto arrange,
    they'll get shuffled.

    Harrison, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Barry

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you performed a complete surface scan? Any bad
    clusters could easily cause a freeze-up, as could many
    other things - overheating, corrupt drivers, bad RAM, or
    hardware.

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:10:58 GMT, in
    <6iGib.158186$>
    "Barry" <bernard.verona@(Unwanted)cgocable.ca> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 14, 2003
  4. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Yes, I did a complete scan and noticed a whole bunch of bad clusters
    together.
    Can I get rid of bad clusters then?
    It's not overheating - I've suffered that before and know the symptoms.
    However, it's not causing a problem if I leave them where they are, it's
    just the feeling that I'm no longer in control of my PC.

    Thanks for the info.

    Barry

    Barry, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    Barry

    Barry, Oct 14, 2003
  6. Barry

    °Mike° Guest

    Well, if you've got a bunch of bad clusters, no wonder
    you are getting freeze-ups. Back up everything you
    can NOW, and start shopping for a new hard drive.
    There is a tool called SpinRite that you could use to
    try and fix the bad clusters, but it's expensive, so you
    may as well just use the money on a new drive - if
    you had valuable data that had to be recovered, then
    SpinRite would be worth it.

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:05:31 GMT, in
    <LRIib.158191$>

    °Mike°, Oct 14, 2003
  7. Unwanted wrote:

    > I recently defragged through Safe Mode and as usual, when returning to
    > Normal, the Desktop icons were rearranged. I returned them to my
    > preferences and shortly after the PC froze. I restarted through a ScanDisk
    > and rearranged again. The same thing happened.
    > Now I leave the icons as they are but am interested in knowing why this
    > should happen.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Barry

    Google for a handy little package called Iconoid, which will remember your
    desktop icon positions for any of a number of different screen resolutions
    and automatically restore them to where they were.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 14, 2003
  8. "Barry" <bernard.verona@(Unwanted)cgocable.ca> wrote in message

    > I recently defragged through Safe Mode and as usual, when returning to
    > Normal, the Desktop icons were rearranged. I returned them to my

    preferences
    > and shortly after the PC froze. I restarted through a ScanDisk and
    > rearranged again. The same thing happened.
    > Now I leave the icons as they are but am interested in knowing why this
    > should happen.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Barry
    > --
    > Please remove (Unwanted) before any reply

    Desktop Icons May Be Rearranged After You Boot into Safe Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256196

    nj_dilettante, Oct 14, 2003