    won't affect older films. I'd also like to author DVD's -- a bunch of Mpegs
    of old films where I can watch several films without having to change DVD's.
    Any advice would be welcome.

    sjackson, Jul 26, 2005

  2. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:52:38 GMT, "sjackson" <>
    wrote:

    >It's been a while since I looked into buying a HDTV and I was confused then.
    >I simply cannot keep up with the developments in technology. Now there is
    >going to be a new DVD format. So what should I do? Just sit tight and
    >wait? I have a few DVD's right now and really want to build a collection of
    >classic films -- should I just go ahead? I assume that this new format
    >won't affect older films. I'd also like to author DVD's -- a bunch of Mpegs
    >of old films where I can watch several films without having to change DVD's.
    >Any advice would be welcome.

    I have an HDTV and I think current DVDs are just fine on it. I am going
    nuts with buying DVDs and I don't give a rat's patootie what the next
    format is supposed to be. I think that the fact that the manufacturers
    can't get together and decide what the next format is going to be means
    that none of them will get off the ground. Anybody remember AM Stereo
    radio? Why should you--it never got off the ground.

    Every day you sit tight and wait is another day you're not enjoying what's
    out there.

    Kimba W. Lion, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:52:38 GMT, "sjackson" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>It's been a while since I looked into buying a HDTV and I was confused then.
    >>I simply cannot keep up with the developments in technology. Now there is
    >>going to be a new DVD format. So what should I do? Just sit tight and
    >>wait? I have a few DVD's right now and really want to build a collection of
    >>classic films -- should I just go ahead? I assume that this new format
    >>won't affect older films. I'd also like to author DVD's -- a bunch of Mpegs
    >>of old films where I can watch several films without having to change DVD's.
    >>Any advice would be welcome.

    > I have an HDTV and I think current DVDs are just fine on it. I am going
    > nuts with buying DVDs and I don't give a rat's patootie what the next
    > format is supposed to be. I think that the fact that the manufacturers
    > can't get together and decide what the next format is going to be means
    > that none of them will get off the ground. Anybody remember AM Stereo
    > radio? Why should you--it never got off the ground.

    True, but in the beginning they couldn't decide on whether 45s or 33s
    should replace 78s, but after a few years it was settled.

    Still, I wouldn't worry too much about your DVDs becoming obsolete.
    People have bought so many DVDs I don't think they are going to trade
    them all away. Look at the "splash" SACD has made. Regular CD sound is
    simply good enough. And they're always coming out with something new,
    so if you wait, you'll never stop waiting.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 26, 2005
  4. sjackson

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "sjackson" <> wrote in message
    > I assume that this new format won't affect older films.

    Why would you assume that? 35mm film has always had way more resolution
    than any video format, HDTV included.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 27, 2005
  5. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:27:16 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain
    <> wrote:

    >True, but in the beginning they couldn't decide on whether 45s or 33s
    >should replace 78s, but after a few years it was settled.

    That was just one company (RCA) being petulant because they didn't invent
    the LP. Columbia gave away the LP-making technology to anyone who wanted
    it. A one-against-everyone-else battle is pretty much a foregone
    conclusion. The circumstances are very different with the proposed new DVD
    formats.

    Still, there were consumers who lost out in the war of the speeds: anyone
    who bought RCA's 45-only record players.

    Kimba W. Lion, Jul 27, 2005
  6. sjackson

    gaffo Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "sjackson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I assume that this new format won't affect older films.

    > Why would you assume that? 35mm film has always had way more resolution
    > than any video format, HDTV included.

    true. 35 mm (let alone 72 mm!!) has an equivalent vertical resolution of
    2500 at least.

    DVD = 8 mm film

    HD (1080i) is equal to 16 mm film at best.

    most importantly the dot-pitch of all HDTV sets is too course to even
    give you all of the 1080 HD rez!!!

    Expect 800 at best.

    DLP/LCD is a different story............with those you will get the full
    rez if the pixel count is 1080.

    --

    [The jury has an] unreviewable and irreversible power...to acquit in
    disregard of the instructions on the law given by the trial judge...The

    D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, Unites States v. Dougherty, 1972

    gaffo, Jul 29, 2005