I'm confused / skype / voip / sipgate

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Mick, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. Mick

    Mick Guest

    I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.

    I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have family across the
    Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use it on the PDA when away from
    home.

    I'm confused about the differences between what i understand to be voip
    and sip - are the two compattible?

    I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house phone (NTL) as I
    have to have the pc on to use it but - is it thensame with SIP?

    I have signed up for Sipgate and have a geographic number - and I think
    I now have to get one of those boxes that willl connect my house phones
    to the router (cable modem always on) .... but will that mean I can
    replace the house phone?

    Can I have Sipgate and Skype on the computer at the same time (would
    like to keep Skype as it's so useful re family).

    Thanks

    Mick

    Mick, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Mick

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.
    >
    > I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have
    > family across the Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use
    > it on the PDA when away from home.
    >
    > I'm confused about the differences between what i
    > understand to be voip and sip - are the two compattible?

    Skype uses its own proprietary protocol (SIP is a protocol also but it is
    "open" meaning anyone can use it, write applications for it, etc.) Skype's
    system can't be used by anyone else.

    > I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house
    > phone (NTL) as I have to have the pc on to use it but -
    > is it thensame with SIP?

    No, you can use an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor)

    > I have signed up for Sipgate and have a geographic number
    > - and I think I now have to get one of those boxes that
    > willl connect my house phones to the router (cable modem
    > always on) .... but will that mean I can replace the
    > house phone?

    In theory, as you're on cable, yes. You can have broadband over cable
    without a phone service, but be aware that very few VoIP services offer
    emergency call access, so keep a mobile handy if you ever do need to make
    that 999 call.

    > Can I have Sipgate and Skype on the computer at the same
    > time (would like to keep Skype as it's so useful re
    > family).

    You don't need a computer to use a SIP service such as Sipgate (well apart
    from initial configuration of the device you use, then it can be off).
    I've heard rumours that X-Lite (the softphone supplied by Sipgate) and
    Skype don't co-exist on the same PC very well, but others have said
    they've done it. I've never attempted it (don't use Skype) so I don't know
    for certain. You're far better off with a hardware ATA for SIP anyway.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Mick

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:07:10 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.
    >>
    >> I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have
    >> family across the Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use
    >> it on the PDA when away from home.
    >>
    >> I'm confused about the differences between what i
    >> understand to be voip and sip - are the two compattible?

    >Skype uses its own proprietary protocol (SIP is a protocol also but it is
    >"open" meaning anyone can use it, write applications for it, etc.) Skype's
    >system can't be used by anyone else.

    Which means that you have a very wide range in choice of operator
    tariffs.
    Check out
    voip.co.uk (£2/month for free eve and weekend UK calls + 2p/call peak
    time. 999 service - but don't rely on it totally - have a mobile phone
    at hand)
    sipdiscount.com (300 mins 'free' per week inc USA)
    internetcalls.com (300 mins 'free' per week inc USA)
    voipfone.co.uk (very good services such as 1471, voicemail, Caller
    display etc.)
    voiptalk.org

    >> I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house
    >> phone (NTL) as I have to have the pc on to use it but -
    >> is it thensame with SIP?

    >No, you can use an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor)

    >> I have signed up for Sipgate and have a geographic number
    >> - and I think I now have to get one of those boxes that
    >> willl connect my house phones to the router (cable modem
    >> always on) .... but will that mean I can replace the
    >> house phone?

    >In theory, as you're on cable, yes. You can have broadband over cable
    >without a phone service, but be aware that very few VoIP services offer
    >emergency call access, so keep a mobile handy if you ever do need to make
    >that 999 call.
    >
    >> Can I have Sipgate and Skype on the computer at the same
    >> time (would like to keep Skype as it's so useful re
    >> family).

    >You don't need a computer to use a SIP service such as Sipgate (well apart
    >from initial configuration of the device you use, then it can be off).
    >I've heard rumours that X-Lite (the softphone supplied by Sipgate) and
    >Skype don't co-exist on the same PC very well, but others have said
    >they've done it. I've never attempted it (don't use Skype) so I don't know
    >for certain. You're far better off with a hardware ATA for SIP anyway.
    >
    >Ivor

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Aug 3, 2006
  4. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.
    > >
    > > I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have
    > > family across the Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use
    > > it on the PDA when away from home.
    > >
    > > I'm confused about the differences between what i
    > > understand to be voip and sip - are the two compattible?

    > Skype uses its own proprietary protocol (SIP is a protocol also but
    > it is "open" meaning anyone can use it, write applications for it,
    > etc.) Skype's system can't be used by anyone else.
    >
    > > I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house
    > > phone (NTL) as I have to have the pc on to use it but -
    > > is it thensame with SIP?

    > No, you can use an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor)
    >
    > > I have signed up for Sipgate and have a geographic number
    > > - and I think I now have to get one of those boxes that
    > > willl connect my house phones to the router (cable modem
    > > always on) .... but will that mean I can replace the
    > > house phone?

    > In theory, as you're on cable, yes. You can have broadband over cable
    > without a phone service, but be aware that very few VoIP services
    > offer emergency call access, so keep a mobile handy if you ever do
    > need to make that 999 call.
    >
    > > Can I have Sipgate and Skype on the computer at the same
    > > time (would like to keep Skype as it's so useful re
    > > family).

    > You don't need a computer to use a SIP service such as Sipgate (well
    > apart from initial configuration of the device you use, then it can
    > be off). I've heard rumours that X-Lite (the softphone supplied by
    > Sipgate) and Skype don't co-exist on the same PC very well, but
    > others have said they've done it. I've never attempted it (don't use
    > Skype) so I don't know for certain. You're far better off with a
    > hardware ATA for SIP anyway.
    >
    > Ivor

    Thanks Ivor

    So - I can keep skype on the pc for keeping in touch with family who
    have skype - and use an ATA to make sipgate calls using the house
    phones ....and the ATA will work with DECT phones?

    There's no conflict with any software on the pc for Sipgate with Skype
    (I wouldn't use a softphone for sipgate).??

    Mick

    Mick, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Mick

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > So - I can keep skype on the pc for keeping in touch
    > with family who have skype - and use an ATA to make
    > sipgate calls using the house phones ....and the ATA will
    > work with DECT phones?

    Any landline phone. If you want recommendations for an ATA, ask, plenty of
    people here will advise. I like the AVM Fritz!Box range (www.avm.de/en -
    although most of these have a built in ADSL modem, you can disable it) or
    Sipura www.sipura.com

    > There's no conflict with any software on the pc for
    > Sipgate with Skype (I wouldn't use a softphone for
    > sipgate).??

    Ok, but you said could you have Skype and Sipgate on the computer at the
    same time, which is why I thought that. No problem then.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 3, 2006
  6. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > So - I can keep skype on the pc for keeping in touch
    > > with family who have skype - and use an ATA to make
    > > sipgate calls using the house phones ....and the ATA will
    > > work with DECT phones?

    > Any landline phone. If you want recommendations for an ATA, ask,
    > plenty of people here will advise. I like the AVM Fritz!Box range
    > (www.avm.de/en - although most of these have a built in ADSL modem,
    > you can disable it) or Sipura www.sipura.com
    >
    > > There's no conflict with any software on the pc for
    > > Sipgate with Skype (I wouldn't use a softphone for
    > > sipgate).??

    > Ok, but you said could you have Skype and Sipgate on the computer at
    > the same time, which is why I thought that. No problem then.
    >
    > Ivor

    Ivor

    Thanks very much - I appreciate your patience.

    I'll start a seperate thread for advice on an ATA.

    From what you say, I think I shall be able to remove the home phone
    line from NTL whilst keeping their broadband service - and run Sipgate
    using the house DECT phones for external outgoing and incoming calls
    and Skype for pc topc calls at the same time.

    Regards

    Mick

    Mick, Aug 3, 2006
  7. Mick

    Graham. Guest

    > In theory, as you're on cable, yes. You can have broadband over cable
    > without a phone service

    I would do this without hesitation if I could.
    The problem being when Ninex (later NTL) cabled this district, they left
    this street out.
    As my company kindly pay for my broadband service I would save a lot.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Aug 3, 2006
  8. Mick

    The Invalid Guest

    On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:29:06 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:

    >I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.
    >
    >I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have family across the
    >Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use it on the PDA when away from
    >home.
    >
    >I'm confused about the differences between what i understand to be voip
    >and sip - are the two compattible?
    >
    >I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house phone (NTL) as I
    >have to have the pc on to use it but - is it thensame with SIP?

    With the new phones you don't have to have your PC on any more for
    Skype
    They are a bit expensive though

    The Invalid, Aug 4, 2006
  9. Mick

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:55:07 +0100, The Invalid
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:29:06 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.
    >>
    >>I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have family across the
    >>Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use it on the PDA when away from
    >>home.
    >>
    >>I'm confused about the differences between what i understand to be voip
    >>and sip - are the two compattible?
    >>
    >>I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house phone (NTL) as I
    >>have to have the pc on to use it but - is it thensame with SIP?

    >With the new phones you don't have to have your PC on any more for
    >Skype
    >They are a bit expensive though

    They are. I tend to think that people who fork out for Skype add-ons
    do it largely because they know no other. Rather like people who route
    all their calls through BT. SIP VoiP has to be cheaper and better in
    the long run.

    The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
    video. Doubtless that will come, we'll all be buying cordless phones
    with video - or perhaps using our mobile phones on WiFi to access
    video calls.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Aug 4, 2006
  10. Mick

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently
    > doesn't, is video. Doubtless that will come, we'll all be
    > buying cordless phones with video - or perhaps using our
    > mobile phones on WiFi to access video calls.

    Sipgate were experimenting with it at this year's CeBit exhibition in
    Germany. There was a video clip of it on the site but it seems
    to have disappeared. It looked to work well but I don't know how much the
    phones were..!

    Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
    calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
    see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 4, 2006
  11. Mick

    The Invalid Guest

    On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:54:33 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently
    >> doesn't, is video. Doubtless that will come, we'll all be
    >> buying cordless phones with video - or perhaps using our
    >> mobile phones on WiFi to access video calls.

    >Sipgate were experimenting with it at this year's CeBit exhibition in
    >Germany. There was a video clip of it on the site but it seems
    >to have disappeared. It looked to work well but I don't know how much the
    >phones were..!
    >
    >Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
    >calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
    >see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
    >
    >Ivor

    The don't turn the camera on, fool.
    Skype Video is ideal for home and family use.

    The Invalid, Aug 6, 2006
  12. Mick

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "The Invalid" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:54:33 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > > Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone
    > > call. For business calls I suppose it might have a
    > > place, but do you really want people to see you when
    > > you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
    > >
    > > Ivor

    > The don't turn the camera on, fool.

    No need to be insulting.

    > Skype Video is ideal for home and family use.

    If you like that sort of thing (Skype).

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 6, 2006
  13. Mick

    The Iceman Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > {Snip!}
    >
    > Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
    > calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
    > see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
    >
    > Ivor

    If you spend all your time phoning some top bird then I can see the
    advantage, but if all your friends are mingers then video is to be
    discouraged! ;-)

    The Iceman, Aug 8, 2006
  14. Mick

    The Invalid Guest

    On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:53:26 +0100, "The Iceman"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> {Snip!}
    >>
    >> Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
    >> calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
    >> see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>

    >If you spend all your time phoning some top bird then I can see the
    >advantage, but if all your friends are mingers then video is to be
    >discouraged! ;-)

    So you don't use it then ?

    The Invalid, Aug 8, 2006
  15. On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:52:16 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
    >video. Doubtless that will come,

    It's already here:
    http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/ccs102

    Darren J Longhorn, Aug 8, 2006
  16. Mick

    paul123 Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
    > video. Doubtless that will come, we'll all be buying cordless phones
    > with video - or perhaps using our mobile phones on WiFi to access
    > video calls.

    Kapanga is SIP based and does video - www.kapanga.net
    Ditto for Wengo - www.wengo.com (they'll also give you €2 worth of
    credit to try out their service)

    paul123, Aug 8, 2006
  17. Mick

    paul123 Guest

    Darren J Longhorn wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:52:16 GMT, Brian A
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
    > >video. Doubtless that will come,

    > It's already here:
    > http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/ccs102

    Had a look at that. Is it definitely SIP based? Or H323?

    paul123, Aug 8, 2006
  18. On 8 Aug 2006 14:07:49 -0700, "paul123" <> wrote:

    >Darren J Longhorn wrote:
    >> On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:52:16 GMT, Brian A
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
    >> >video. Doubtless that will come,

    >> It's already here:
    >> http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/ccs102

    >Had a look at that. Is it definitely SIP based? Or H323?

    Definitely SIP.

    Darren J Longhorn, Aug 8, 2006
  19. Mick

    The Iceman Guest

    > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:53:26 +0100, "The Iceman"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> {Snip!}
    >>>
    >>> Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
    >>> calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
    >>> see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!
    >>>
    >>> Ivor
    >>>

    >>If you spend all your time phoning some top bird then I can see the
    >>advantage, but if all your friends are mingers then video is to be
    >>discouraged! ;-)
    >>

    > So you don't use it then ?

    Correct! 8^O

    The Iceman, Aug 8, 2006
  20. Mick

    paul123 Guest

    Darren J Longhorn wrote:
    > On 8 Aug 2006 14:07:49 -0700, "paul123" <> wrote:
    >

    > >Darren J Longhorn wrote:

    > >> It's already here:
    > >> http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/ccs102

    > >Had a look at that. Is it definitely SIP based? Or H323?

    > Definitely SIP.

    OK. Cool.

    There's also the Grandstream GXV-3000.

    paul123, Aug 8, 2006