I'm close to buying a digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Guest, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    > (Dennis Pogson) wrote:
    >
    >> buy a Panasonic FZ50.

    > 28mm limits his choices. Ok, you can buy adapters, but for me that
    > sort of defeats the point of an "all in one" camera.
    >
    > Andrew McP

    Yes, it does rather. There are some compact cameras which have this
    range, but whether their image quality meets the OP's requirements only he
    can answer.

    For comparing camera models, this page may be useful:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    as you can enter a whole set of your own criteria.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 2, 2007

  2. <> wrote in message
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
    > your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my
    > mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than
    > interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    > connection for external flash unit
    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >
    > Your suggestions are greatly valued.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norm Strong

    Most of your aspirations are manageable but "Almost no lag between shutter
    release and exposure" might be very difficult to acheive unless you go for a
    digital SLR rather the the fixed zoom which you specify.

    Roger

    Roger Matthews, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Guest

    bugbear Guest

    wrote:
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
    > advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
    > to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
    > lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor

    * Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20

    * connection for external flash unit
    * Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

    I think the requirments marked with an asterix
    aren't doable (or are very rare) in a integrated.

    Your upper bound print size is borderline too.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Feb 2, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    >> (Dennis Pogson) wrote:
    >>
    >>> buy a Panasonic FZ50.

    >> 28mm limits his choices. Ok, you can buy adapters, but for me that
    >> sort of defeats the point of an "all in one" camera.
    >>
    >> Andrew McP

    > Yes, it does rather. There are some compact cameras which have this
    > range, but whether their image quality meets the OP's requirements only he
    > can answer.

    Fuji Finepix s6000/6500fd has a lens whose range should satisfy the OP:
    28-300 (35mm). High quality lens.

    > For comparing camera models, this page may be useful:

    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    > as you can enter a whole set of your own criteria.

    Good advice. Check dpreview to compare reviews of Fuji s6000fd and
    Panasonic FZ50, if a non-SLR zoom is what you want. Also look at
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/

    , Feb 2, 2007
  5. ve () wrote:

    > Fuji Finepix s6000/6500fd has a lens whose range should
    > satisfy the OP:

    Personally I think the higher resolution EVF on the 9100/9600 is worth
    every penny of the price difference all on its own.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Feb 2, 2007
  6. Guest

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/1/07 9:09 PM, in article
    , "Annika1980"
    <> wrote:

    > On Feb 1, 5:37 pm, <> wrote:
    >> I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
    >> advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
    >> to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
    >> lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >>
    >> Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    >> Remote shutter release
    >> Connection to an external monitor
    >> Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    >> Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    >> connection for external flash unit
    >> Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >>
    >> Your suggestions are greatly valued.

    > You forgot:
    > "Under $200" and "Wireless Internet"
    >
    > Keep dreamin.
    > You want the quality of a top DSLR, but you want it all in one small
    > package that does everything. Not even Jack Bauer has one of those.

    Yeah. But his phone/pda does...

    George Kerby, Feb 2, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest

    Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    > ve () wrote:

    >> Fuji Finepix s6000/6500fd has a lens whose range should
    >> satisfy the OP:

    > Personally I think the higher resolution EVF on the 9100/9600 is worth
    > every penny of the price difference all on its own.

    Reviewers of the Fuji superzoom cameras seem to think that 6+ megapixel
    is in perfect balance with the not-so-big sensor which is found in both
    these models. Especially, more pixels with the same smallish sensor
    results in increased noise in low light/high ISO shooting. Experts
    correct me if I am wrong, I'm just learning the basics of digital
    cameras.

    , Feb 3, 2007
  8. ve wrote:

    > Especially, more pixels with the same smallish sensor
    > results in increased noise in low light/high ISO shooting. Experts
    > correct me if I am wrong, I'm just learning the basics of digital
    > cameras.

    Yes, people should understand there is a direct relationship between
    pixel size and noise performance, regardless of marketing
    hype. Manufacturers of newer high megapixel count small
    cameras are averaging pixels in their noise suppression algorithms,
    effectively reducing resolution. This becomes more significant
    as ISO is cranked up. See:

    Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
    Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance.summary

    These pages show that a large pixel camera can have noise performance
    at ISO 1600 similar to the noise performance of a small P&S at
    ISO 100. It is a fundamental property of the size of each pixel's
    active area and photon counting statistics.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 3, 2007
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:37:28 -0800, <>
    > <> wrote:
    >> I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
    >> your
    >> advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my
    >> mind
    >> to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
    >> lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >>
    >> Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    >> Remote shutter release
    >> Connection to an external monitor
    >> Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    >> Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    >> connection for external flash unit
    >> Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

    > Nikon D80 + the 18-135 kit lens. Put that lens on the camera and
    > never remove it: presto, "integrated" zoom lens. And it meets most/all
    > of your other requirements (I'm not sure exactly what you mean by
    > 'connection to external monitor', so that one is iffy).

    Instead of using the 3" LCD display on the back of the camera, I'd like to
    connect it to a 19" computer monitor. Most of my photography is studio
    portrait work.

    As for print size, I might be willing to limit the size to that of the 19"
    monitor.

    Norm

    Guest, Feb 3, 2007
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I
    >> need your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much
    >> made up my mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather
    >> than interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >>
    >> Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    >> Remote shutter release
    >> Connection to an external monitor
    >> Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    >> Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    >> connection for external flash unit
    >> Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >>
    >> Your suggestions are greatly valued.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Norm Strong

    > Since no-one seems to be answering your question, buy a Panasonic FZ50.

    Indeed, that is first solution that occurred to me. Is the sensor quiet
    enough for a decent 11 x 14" print?

    Norm

    Guest, Feb 3, 2007
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
    >> your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up
    >> my mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than
    >> interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >>
    >> Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    >> Remote shutter release
    >> Connection to an external monitor

    > * Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    >> Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20

    > * connection for external flash unit
    > * Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >
    > I think the requirments marked with an asterix
    > aren't doable (or are very rare) in a integrated.
    >
    > Your upper bound print size is borderline too.

    About 50% of my photography is studio portraiture using an electronic flash
    kit (Norman, of course :). The internal flash unit is just for snapshots.
    If the camera has a hot shoe, I could use one of my existing flash units.
    But I'm concerned about red eye, and other drawbacks of flash units too
    close to the lens axis.

    Norm

    Guest, Feb 3, 2007
  12. ve () wrote:

    > Reviewers of the Fuji superzoom cameras seem to think that 6+
    > megapixel is in perfect balance

    Ideally I'd like the high-res EVF with the low-res sensor, but my
    frustrating experience with a 115k EVF on the Canon S1 has led me to
    worry about the EVF first and the sensor later. You can edit high-res
    pictures for noise, etc if you need to. But you can't edit the screen
    you have to look at every time you use the camera.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Feb 3, 2007
  13. Guest

    Mike Russell Guest

    Mike Russell, Feb 4, 2007
  14. wrote:
    > "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message

    []
    >> Since no-one seems to be answering your question, buy a Panasonic
    >> FZ50.

    > Indeed, that is first solution that occurred to me. Is the sensor
    > quiet enough for a decent 11 x 14" print?
    >
    > Norm

    Might have to keep it on the lower ISO setting, or use noise reduction
    software.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 4, 2007
  15. Guest

    Guest

    Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    > ve () wrote:

    >> Reviewers of the Fuji superzoom cameras seem to think that 6+
    >> megapixel is in perfect balance

    > Ideally I'd like the high-res EVF with the low-res sensor, but my
    > frustrating experience with a 115k EVF on the Canon S1 has led me to
    > worry about the EVF first and the sensor later. You can edit high-res
    > pictures for noise, etc if you need to. But you can't edit the screen
    > you have to look at every time you use the camera.

    You have a good point there. Today I had the Fuji F6000/6500fd in my
    hand, and the grainy 115k electronic viewfinder is quite a spoiler
    of what otherwise seems to be a fine camera.

    , Feb 9, 2007
  16. On 9 Feb 2007 01:37:34 GMT, ve <> wrote:
    > Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    >> ve () wrote:

    >>> Reviewers of the Fuji superzoom cameras seem to think that 6+
    >>> megapixel is in perfect balance

    >> Ideally I'd like the high-res EVF with the low-res sensor, but my
    >> frustrating experience with a 115k EVF on the Canon S1 has led me to
    >> worry about the EVF first and the sensor later. You can edit high-res
    >> pictures for noise, etc if you need to. But you can't edit the screen
    >> you have to look at every time you use the camera.

    > You have a good point there. Today I had the Fuji F6000/6500fd in my
    > hand, and the grainy 115k electronic viewfinder is quite a spoiler
    > of what otherwise seems to be a fine camera.

    DPReview has a review up of the latest Panasonic superzoom, and one of
    the major upgrades was a ~65% increase in the pixel count of the EVF (to
    188k pixels). Hopefully, the other superzoom manufacturers will follow
    suit.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 9, 2007