    Your suggestions are greatly valued.

    Thanks,

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Feb 1, 2007

  2. Guest

    Lee K Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
    > your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my
    > mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than
    > interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    > connection for external flash unit
    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >
    > Your suggestions are greatly valued.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norm Strong

    Suggest you visit sites that do comprehensive reviews of digital cameras,
    including comparisons of the photos they produce. Here are a couple:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/

    Lee K, Feb 1, 2007

  3. <> wrote in message
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
    > your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my
    > mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than
    > interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    > connection for external flash unit
    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >
    > Your suggestions are greatly valued.

    You are buying at a good time ... the current crop of cameras is mostly good
    (many are outstanding).

    In other words, it is not so much a brand issue or model issue as it is your
    needs and your preferences. Consider the industry leaders (Nikon, Canon,
    etc.) and go handle them at Best Buy and Circuit City. It is very important
    to select one that feels good and has an intuitive user interface.

    You will most likely love digital photography.

    Charles Schuler, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Guest

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:06:52 -0500, Charles Schuler <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
    >> your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my
    >> mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than
    >> interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >>
    >> Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    >> Remote shutter release
    >> Connection to an external monitor
    >> Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    >> Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    >> connection for external flash unit
    >> Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >>
    >> Your suggestions are greatly valued.

    >You are buying at a good time ... the current crop of cameras is mostly good
    >(many are outstanding).

    >In other words, it is not so much a brand issue or model issue as it is your
    >needs and your preferences. Consider the industry leaders (Nikon, Canon,
    >etc.) and go handle them at Best Buy and Circuit City. It is very important
    >to select one that feels good and has an intuitive user interface.

    Bring ear plugs if you go to best buy (unless you actually like the rap music
    that will be blasting from the home stereo department)
    If you go to circuit city, ignore the "after rebate" prices. They're mostly
    a lie, especially if the sales clerk prints two rebate forms and leads you
    to think that circuit will actually honor both.

    AZ Nomad, Feb 1, 2007

  5. >
    > Bring ear plugs if you go to best buy (unless you actually like the rap
    > music
    > that will be blasting from the home stereo department)
    > If you go to circuit city, ignore the "after rebate" prices. They're
    > mostly
    > a lie, especially if the sales clerk prints two rebate forms and leads you
    > to think that circuit will actually honor both.

    Hmmm ... never experienced the rap music at either. I did have a rebate
    problem and went back to the store and they took care of it immediately ...
    no hassle what-so-ever (I did have to go back, though). Rebates are a
    global PITA.

    Charles Schuler, Feb 1, 2007
  6. Guest

    Cynicor Guest

    OT: DMCA

    I just noticed from a few comcast posters today...their extended headers
    have an X-DMCA-Complaints-To field. How annoying is that?

    Cynicor, Feb 1, 2007
  7. Guest

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:26:15 -0500, Charles Schuler <> wrote:

    >> Bring ear plugs if you go to best buy (unless you actually like the rap
    >> music
    >> that will be blasting from the home stereo department)
    >> If you go to circuit city, ignore the "after rebate" prices. They're
    >> mostly
    >> a lie, especially if the sales clerk prints two rebate forms and leads you
    >> to think that circuit will actually honor both.

    >Hmmm ... never experienced the rap music at either. I did have a rebate
    >problem and went back to the store and they took care of it immediately ...
    >no hassle what-so-ever (I did have to go back, though). Rebates are a
    >global PITA.

    My experience with CC was "call this number now please **** off"; calling the
    number the reply was "you should have saved copies of everything in triplicate
    you should have mailed one copy to circuit city and the other copy to the
    manufacturer [not what the store clerk assured me] now please **** off".

    I learned from my experience and don't shop at circuit city any more. I have no
    use for the rebate game and their prices are too high without them. I buy mail
    order instead and get better prices without the rebate game, although it means
    waiting 4-5 days.

    AZ Nomad, Feb 1, 2007
  8. "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:26:15 -0500, Charles Schuler
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Bring ear plugs if you go to best buy (unless you actually like the rap
    >>> music
    >>> that will be blasting from the home stereo department)
    >>> If you go to circuit city, ignore the "after rebate" prices. They're
    >>> mostly
    >>> a lie, especially if the sales clerk prints two rebate forms and leads
    >>> you
    >>> to think that circuit will actually honor both.

    >>Hmmm ... never experienced the rap music at either. I did have a rebate
    >>problem and went back to the store and they took care of it immediately
    >>no hassle what-so-ever (I did have to go back, though). Rebates are a
    >>global PITA.

    > My experience with CC was "call this number now please **** off"; calling
    > the
    > number the reply was "you should have saved copies of everything in
    > triplicate
    > you should have mailed one copy to circuit city and the other copy to the
    > manufacturer [not what the store clerk assured me] now please **** off".
    >
    > I learned from my experience and don't shop at circuit city any more. I
    > have no
    > use for the rebate game and their prices are too high without them. I buy
    > mail
    > order instead and get better prices without the rebate game, although it
    > means
    > waiting 4-5 days.

    This a classic example of topic drift. My mistake was that (or "my bad" ...
    the dumbed-down version circulating these days) I mentioned specific
    retailers. You just can't win on forums like this one, these days. The OP
    gets responses that could be helpful but gets additional vitriol that is
    confusing.

    When responding here, think a moment before you select "Send."

    Charles Schuler, Feb 2, 2007
  9. Guest

    dwight Guest

    Re: DMCA

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    >I just noticed from a few comcast posters today...their extended headers
    >have an X-DMCA-Complaints-To field. How annoying is that?

    properly

    It's pretty damn annoying.

    dwight

    dwight, Feb 2, 2007
  10. Guest

    The Bobert Guest

    In article <>,
    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote:

    > This a classic example of topic drift. My mistake was that (or "my bad" ...
    > the dumbed-down version circulating these days) I mentioned specific
    > retailers. You just can't win on forums like this one, these days. The OP
    > gets responses that could be helpful but gets additional vitriol that is
    > confusing.
    >
    > When responding here, think a moment before you select "Send."

    I think it's called "Remember The Human"

    The Bobert, Feb 2, 2007
  11. Guest

    Cynicor Guest

    OT: DMCA

    dwight wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    >> I just noticed from a few comcast posters today...their extended headers
    >> have an X-DMCA-Complaints-To field. How annoying is that?

    > properly
    >
    > It's pretty damn annoying.

    For the antidote to annoying, behold the Web page my daughter just made.
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/420518/sniff

    Cynicor, Feb 2, 2007
  12. Guest

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Feb 1, 5:37 pm, <> wrote:
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
    > advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
    > to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
    > lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    > connection for external flash unit
    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >
    > Your suggestions are greatly valued.

    You forgot:
    "Under $200" and "Wireless Internet"

    Keep dreamin.
    You want the quality of a top DSLR, but you want it all in one small
    package that does everything. Not even Jack Bauer has one of those.

    Annika1980, Feb 2, 2007
  13. Guest

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:37:28 -0800, normanstrong wrote:

    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
    > advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
    > to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
    > lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    > connection for external flash unit
    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >
    > Your suggestions are greatly valued.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norm Strong

    IMHO -

    I doubt you'll get all those requirements met, but it sounds like, mostly,
    you'd be interested in an EVF camera (Electronic ViewFinder). If that's
    where you head, I'd strongly suggest you actually look through a number of
    them before you buy one. I find the Kodak EVFs superior in at least one
    respect - the resolution of the EVF. Most of the others have a resolution
    of about 110k pixels and are very blocky when you look through them. The
    Kodaks have 237k pixels - much better.

    ray, Feb 2, 2007
  14. Guest

    Skip Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
    > your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my
    > mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than
    > interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    > connection for external flash unit
    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >
    > Your suggestions are greatly valued.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norm Strong

    Depends on what you deem "suitable," when it comes to 16x20. The only
    camera I'd unhesitatingly recommend that fits all of those parameters would
    be the Canon 1Ds mkII with a 28-300 f4.5-5.6 L IS lens on it. It has an
    optional remote shutter release, can be connected to an external monitor
    through either USB or WiFi, minimal shutter lag, certainly has an external
    hot shoe, but no built in flash, so I guess that's as far away from the lens
    axis as is possible. The only drawback is that it is about $7000, plus the
    lens is another $2000. If you wanted to save a little money, and get
    similar results, a Canon 5D would only set you back about $2500-3000, but
    the lens would be the same price. Canon makes a 28-200, but it's not a
    great lens, and may not yield good 16x20s. On the plus side, both of those
    cameras have sensors the same size as a 35mm film frame, so there's no
    worries about 35mm equivalent lenses, they perform as advertised. Moving
    down in price, there are several 8-12 mp DSLRs with smaller sensors, which
    means that you'll need an 18-150,or so, lens, much cheaper, but, again,
    might no yield that elusive excellent 16x20.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Feb 2, 2007
  15. On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:37:28 -0800, <> <> wrote:
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
    > advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
    > to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
    > lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    > connection for external flash unit
    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

    Nikon D80 + the 18-135 kit lens. Put that lens on the camera and
    never remove it: presto, "integrated" zoom lens. And it meets most/all
    of your other requirements (I'm not sure exactly what you mean by
    'connection to external monitor', so that one is iffy).

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Feb 2, 2007
  16. Guest

    Bill Guest

    Re: DMCA

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message

    >> It's pretty damn annoying.

    > For the antidote to annoying, behold the Web page my daughter just
    > made.
    > http://www.dogster.com/dogs/420518/sniff

    ARGH!

    I had to poke a pen in my eye to reduce the level of pain!

    :)

    Bill, Feb 2, 2007
  17. wrote:
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I
    > need your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much
    > made up my mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather
    > than interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
    >
    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
    > connection for external flash unit
    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
    >
    > Your suggestions are greatly valued.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Norm Strong

    Since no-one seems to be answering your question, buy a Panasonic FZ50.

    Dennis Pogson, Feb 2, 2007
  18. () wrote:

    > Your suggestions are greatly valued.

    Have a look at the Fuji S9100 (S9600 in Europe). Its image quality won't
    match a large sensor DSLR, but it's a very good small sensor camera IMO.
    I came very close to buying one, but -- after a lot of deliberation --
    ended up with a DSLR for not much more money.

    The 9600 is a relatively minor update to the older 9000/9500, so you'll
    find more reviews for the 9000/9500.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/

    > 16 x 20

    That might be asking a bit much of a small sensor camera.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Feb 2, 2007
  19. Guest

    Martin Brown Guest

    On Feb 1, 10:37 pm, <> wrote:
    > I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
    > advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
    > to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
    > lenses. Here are a few requirements:

    You don't mention what film gear you use at present or what you want
    to use it for. One thing that is easy with digital is to have a
    pocketable camera of high quality that is always with you. Some are
    now too small to be convenient in use.

    Definitely handle the camera that you intend to buy. It s no good if
    it is perfect spec on paper but you cannot use the hundreds fiddly
    controls on the back to make it do what you want. The various makers
    have a slightly different take on the interface.

    > Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)

    That wide zoom range cuts down your choices. and a 7x zoom range
    compromises the optics somewhat. Read rewiews carefully! 3-4x optical
    zooms tend to be sharper and higher contrast if that is important to
    you (and looking below it may be).

    > Remote shutter release
    > Connection to an external monitor
    > Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
    > Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20

    6Mpixel or higher would be suitable for this and there are good
    compacts that would meet the spec.

    > connection for external flash unit

    That is rare and may cut down you options to practically zero.

    > Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

    Makes the camera bigger. Is that really what you want?

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Feb 2, 2007
  20. (Dennis Pogson) wrote:

    > buy a Panasonic FZ50.

    28mm limits his choices. Ok, you can buy adapters, but for me that sort
    of defeats the point of an "all in one" camera.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Feb 2, 2007