I'm baffled by a problem downloading from Giganews with XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by me@myhouse.org, Sep 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Before i write Giganews support, I thought I would try you guys in
    here....you've come through for me at least 20 times over the past 5
    or 6 years.
    Besides, once I explain, you'll see that the problem probably, really
    doesn't lie with Giganews, but somewhere on my system...at least I
    think.

    Ok, for starters, I'm not a newbie...but have a limited knowledge on
    how Usenet works. And...I would never claim to be an expert on knowing
    what (if any) changes I should make to the registry...and don't want
    to, if I don't have to.

    Here's my situation:

    I have 2 PC's on my office desktop.
    One is an old Gateway (on it's last days) running Wink2k.

    Just bought a new $2800 Dell running XP and it's great. Have had it
    for about 2 months now.

    I subscribe to two News servers: Giganews and Easynews.
    I use Agent for all servers, on both machines. Each copy of Agent is
    separate.

    Both machines are routed through a Linksys router, so both PC's use
    the same broadband connection.

    On my new machine running XP...for the last 4 or 5 days, I'm getting
    horrendous download speeds from Giganews. Headers seem to come ok, but
    the minute I try and download a binary file...it just hangs. (Last
    night when before going to bed, I tried to download a 35mb file, and
    when I woke up this morning...it had timed out.)

    Here's where it gets stupid: If I use my old machine running Win2k,
    the downloads are quick as they should be from Giganews 'and'
    Easynews. If I use my new machine running XP and try Easynews...my
    downloads are quick as well.
    However, when I open the Agent copy that points to Giganews using this
    same new machine (XP)....it hangs.

    As you can see...the problem is not with my Cable connection, because
    everything is zippy on my old machine. And, everything is just as
    quick on my new machine (XP) using Easynews. But I can't get anwhere
    trying to use Giganews. I've done trace routes (unnecessary, if you
    think abou it) and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

    I'm going to put the old machine out to pasture soon, so I need to
    find out where the problem can be. To me, (unless I'm missing
    something) it's an 'XP' issue since everything still works as it
    should in 2k.

    I'll add a PS to all of this: For the first few weeks using this new
    machine, I don't believe I had any problems with Giganews. This
    problem has cropped up in the last few days.

    The only other thing I feel I may need to add....is that about 2 weeks
    ago, I upgraded my Comcast broadband account, to get the 'higher
    speed' download rate...I now have 8mb when I used to have 6mb.

    Does 'anyone' have 'any ideas' as to what my problem could possibly
    be? It's really frustrating, and I've run out of options.

    Thanks in advance!

    -only me-

    , Sep 12, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > Before i write Giganews support, I thought I would try you guys in
    > here....you've come through for me at least 20 times over the past 5
    > or 6 years.
    > Besides, once I explain, you'll see that the problem probably, really
    > doesn't lie with Giganews, but somewhere on my system...at least I
    > think.
    >
    > Ok, for starters, I'm not a newbie...but have a limited knowledge on
    > how Usenet works. And...I would never claim to be an expert on knowing
    > what (if any) changes I should make to the registry...and don't want
    > to, if I don't have to.
    >
    > Here's my situation:
    >
    > I have 2 PC's on my office desktop.
    > One is an old Gateway (on it's last days) running Wink2k.
    >
    > Just bought a new $2800 Dell running XP and it's great. Have had it
    > for about 2 months now.
    >
    > I subscribe to two News servers: Giganews and Easynews.
    > I use Agent for all servers, on both machines. Each copy of Agent is
    > separate.
    >
    > Both machines are routed through a Linksys router, so both PC's use
    > the same broadband connection.
    >
    > On my new machine running XP...for the last 4 or 5 days, I'm getting
    > horrendous download speeds from Giganews. Headers seem to come ok, but
    > the minute I try and download a binary file...it just hangs. (Last
    > night when before going to bed, I tried to download a 35mb file, and
    > when I woke up this morning...it had timed out.)
    >
    > Here's where it gets stupid: If I use my old machine running Win2k,
    > the downloads are quick as they should be from Giganews 'and'
    > Easynews. If I use my new machine running XP and try Easynews...my
    > downloads are quick as well.
    > However, when I open the Agent copy that points to Giganews using this
    > same new machine (XP)....it hangs.
    >
    > As you can see...the problem is not with my Cable connection, because
    > everything is zippy on my old machine. And, everything is just as
    > quick on my new machine (XP) using Easynews. But I can't get anwhere
    > trying to use Giganews. I've done trace routes (unnecessary, if you
    > think abou it) and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

    Your broadband probably is DSL, and you suffer from the MaxMTU problem.
    Read here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/11/winxp_kills_verizon_dsl/
    or
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

    In your case, a router on the way to giganews obviously doesn't permit
    packet fragmentation.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 12, 2007

  3. wrote:

    > Ok, for starters, I'm not a newbie...but have a limited knowledge on
    > how Usenet works.

    Right. Do you have that email address at myhouse.org, or are you
    abusing their mailservers?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 12, 2007
  4. Fred Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Ok, for starters, I'm not a newbie...but have a limited knowledge on
    >> how Usenet works.

    >Right. Do you have that email address at myhouse.org, or are you
    >abusing their mailservers?

    Neither do I, so whine to my provider.

    Fred, Sep 12, 2007
  5. Fred wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Ok, for starters, I'm not a newbie...but have a limited knowledge on
    >>> how Usenet works.

    >>Right. Do you have that email address at myhouse.org, or are you
    >>abusing their mailservers?

    > Neither do I, so whine to my provider.

    Nah. Just trying to get someone to do the right thing. You know, show
    a bit of integrity. Look it up.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 12, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:24:51 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Before i write Giganews support, I thought I would try you guys in
    >> here....you've come through for me at least 20 times over the past 5
    >> or 6 years.
    >> Besides, once I explain, you'll see that the problem probably, really
    >> doesn't lie with Giganews, but somewhere on my system...at least I
    >> think.
    >>
    >> Ok, for starters, I'm not a newbie...but have a limited knowledge on
    >> how Usenet works. And...I would never claim to be an expert on knowing
    >> what (if any) changes I should make to the registry...and don't want
    >> to, if I don't have to.
    >>
    >> Here's my situation:
    >>
    >> I have 2 PC's on my office desktop.
    >> One is an old Gateway (on it's last days) running Wink2k.
    >>
    >> Just bought a new $2800 Dell running XP and it's great. Have had it
    >> for about 2 months now.
    >>
    >> I subscribe to two News servers: Giganews and Easynews.
    >> I use Agent for all servers, on both machines. Each copy of Agent is
    >> separate.
    >>
    >> Both machines are routed through a Linksys router, so both PC's use
    >> the same broadband connection.
    >>
    >> On my new machine running XP...for the last 4 or 5 days, I'm getting
    >> horrendous download speeds from Giganews. Headers seem to come ok, but
    >> the minute I try and download a binary file...it just hangs. (Last
    >> night when before going to bed, I tried to download a 35mb file, and
    >> when I woke up this morning...it had timed out.)
    >>
    >> Here's where it gets stupid: If I use my old machine running Win2k,
    >> the downloads are quick as they should be from Giganews 'and'
    >> Easynews. If I use my new machine running XP and try Easynews...my
    >> downloads are quick as well.
    >> However, when I open the Agent copy that points to Giganews using this
    >> same new machine (XP)....it hangs.
    >>
    >> As you can see...the problem is not with my Cable connection, because
    >> everything is zippy on my old machine. And, everything is just as
    >> quick on my new machine (XP) using Easynews. But I can't get anwhere
    >> trying to use Giganews. I've done trace routes (unnecessary, if you
    >> think abou it) and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
    >>

    >Your broadband probably is DSL, and you suffer from the MaxMTU problem.
    >Read here:
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/11/winxp_kills_verizon_dsl/
    >or
    >http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    >
    >In your case, a router on the way to giganews obviously doesn't permit
    >packet fragmentation.

    I eventually discovered that it was my AV that for some reason, didn't
    care for my Agent running Giganews. However for another odd reason, it
    didn't affect my Agent running Easynews. Strange.
    Told my AV to 'trust' my Agent for Giganews, and it looks like that
    did the trick. we'll see.

    And thanks for the link to the TCP Optimizer...I actually tried that a
    couple days ago, and it had no affect whatsoever. I meant to include
    that piece of info in my original post, but forgot.

    again, thanks.

    , Sep 12, 2007
  7. Fred Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Fred wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>Right. Do you have that email address at myhouse.org, or are you
    >>>abusing their mailservers?

    >> Neither do I, so whine to my provider.

    >Nah. Just trying to get someone to do the right thing. You know, show
    >a bit of integrity. Look it up.

    Right after you abstain from making empty threats based on false
    accusations. Grow up, little child.

    Fred, Sep 12, 2007
  8. Fred wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>Fred wrote:

    >>> Neither do I, so whine to my provider.

    >>Nah. Just trying to get someone to do the right thing. You know,
    >>show a bit of integrity. Look it up.

    > Right after you abstain from making empty threats based on false
    > accusations. Grow up, little child.

    Threats? I made no threats. What a moron. Show me a threat up there,
    numbnuts.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 12, 2007
  9. It was on, or about, Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:37:22 +0000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>Nah. Just trying to get someone to do the right thing. You know, show
    >>>a bit of integrity. Look it up.

    >> Right after you abstain from making empty threats based on false
    >> accusations. Grow up, little child.

    > Threats? I made no threats. What a moron. Show me a threat up there,
    > numbnuts.

    Don't tell me, he's either a goggler (ggoglegrouper) or an Outhouse
    Excess user. I wonder how he'd like someone else using his domain or
    email address.

    --
    Surely you are not comparing the non-existent Linux (at that time) with
    (Windows)98? - Hadron aka Hadron Quark, Hans Schneider, & Damian O'Leary

    William Poaster, Sep 12, 2007
  10. who'sthat Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:42:58 +0100, William Poaster
    <> wrote:

    >It was on, or about, Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:37:22 +0000, that as I was
    >halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Fred wrote:

    >>> Right after you abstain from making empty threats based on false
    >>> accusations. Grow up, little child.

    >> Threats? I made no threats. What a moron. Show me a threat up there,
    >> numbnuts.

    >Don't tell me, he's either a goggler (ggoglegrouper) or an Outhouse
    >Excess user. I wonder how he'd like someone else using his domain or
    >email address.

    If you can't tell if he's a 'googler' or an OE user you should learn
    how to tell the difference before you leave the kiddie pool next time.

    who'sthat, Sep 12, 2007
  11. It was on, or about, Wed, 12 Sep 2007 06:24:40 -0500, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, who'sthat wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:42:58 +0100, William Poaster <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It was on, or about, Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:37:22 +0000, that as I was
    >>halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Threats? I made no threats. What a moron. Show me a threat up
    >>> there, numbnuts.

    >>Don't tell me, he's either a goggler (ggoglegrouper) or an Outhouse
    >>Excess user. I wonder how he'd like someone else using his domain or
    >>email address.

    > If you can't tell if he's a 'googler' or an OE user you should learn how
    > to tell the difference before you leave the kiddie pool next time.

    FYI, Stupid, I have (like others) got googlegroupers & Outhosed Excess
    users killfiled as intelligence is a rare commodity amongst them.
    Congratulations, you've just joined them.

    William Poaster, Sep 12, 2007
  12. Mara Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 06:24:40 -0500, who'sthat <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:42:58 +0100, William Poaster
    ><> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>Don't tell me, he's either a goggler (ggoglegrouper) or an Outhouse
    >>Excess user. I wonder how he'd like someone else using his domain or
    >>email address.

    >If you can't tell if he's a 'googler' or an OE user you should learn
    >how to tell the difference before you leave the kiddie pool next time.

    Trolling again, dRosS?

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

    Mara, Sep 12, 2007
  13. wrote:

    > I eventually discovered that it was my AV that for some reason, didn't
    > care for my Agent running Giganews. However for another odd reason, it
    > didn't affect my Agent running Easynews. Strange.
    > Told my AV to 'trust' my Agent for Giganews, and it looks like that
    > did the trick. we'll see.

    Ah thanks for clearing this. Your "AV" appears to be a "application
    firewall" as well, which means it has inherited vulnerabilities of both
    products, plus additional ones of the "glue", so take care.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 12, 2007
  14. Fred Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Fred wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>Nah. Just trying to get someone to do the right thing. You know,
    >>>show a bit of integrity. Look it up.

    >> Right after you abstain from making empty threats based on false
    >> accusations. Grow up, little child.

    >Threats? I made no threats. What a moron. Show me a threat up there,
    >numbnuts.

    Then why bring up the subject of an email address or abuse?

    The original question was about "downloading from Giganews with XP",
    tinkerbelle.

    Fred, Sep 12, 2007
  15. William Poaster wrote:
    > It was on, or about, Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:37:22 +0000, that as I was
    > halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Fred wrote:

    >>> Right after you abstain from making empty threats based on false
    >>> accusations. Grow up, little child.

    >> Threats? I made no threats. What a moron. Show me a threat up there,
    >> numbnuts.

    > Don't tell me, he's either a goggler (ggoglegrouper) or an Outhouse
    > Excess user. I wonder how he'd like someone else using his domain or
    > email address.

    Well, I wouldn't see it if it were a Groper.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 12, 2007
  16. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> It was on, or about, Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:37:22 +0000, that as I was
    >> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Threats? I made no threats. What a moron. Show me a threat up there,
    >>> numbnuts.

    >> Don't tell me, he's either a goggler (ggoglegrouper) or an Outhouse
    >> Excess user. I wonder how he'd like someone else using his domain or
    >> email address.

    > Well, I wouldn't see it if it were a Groper.

    /Me goes "D'oh!" Anyhoo, I've got Outhosed Excess binned as well. It cuts
    down the sig/noise ratio a bit more.

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0