I'm a MCAD Now

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Matt West, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Matt West

    Matt West Guest

    Figured I would pass on my experiences for those who may be interested.

    Background: Been coding for almost ten years - back in the VB 3 and SQL
    3.21 days. Pretty much self-taught - never had taken an MS exam before.
    Most of my work has been in start ups - lots of "duck tape and baling wire"
    kinds of projects. Unfortunately, not as much exposure to formal methods and
    training as I would have liked.

    Left my last contract (which was all VB6) and decided that I needed to get
    up to speed in .NET soon or risk getting left behind. Decided to just take
    time off of work to study full time.

    First exam: 70-305. Read Gunderloy's book all the way through, and then
    reviewed with Kalani's C# Exam Cram. Took me about two weeks to study.
    Passed with an 848. This was by far the easiest of the three exams, and I
    recommend it as the first.

    Second Exam: 70-310. Same regimen with the Gunderloy and Kalani books.
    Same time frame. Passed with a 748. This one was a lot harder. With the
    first exam, I found that I generally understood things without actually
    having to do the examples (just followed the code in the book). Not so with
    this one - remoting was especially difficult for me to get a firm grip on
    (all that wire formatting and stuff).

    Third Exam: 70-229. Read Vieira's book, which is excellent. I had hoped
    this exam would be easy since I have worked off and on with SQL for some
    time. Not so! Flunked the exam the first time with a 585. Like many
    others, my major problem was time. By the time I had answered half the
    questions, I was 2/3 the way through my time. Went back home and singed up
    for a one month Transcender subscription and did that methodically (went
    through the flashcards twice and kept taking the sample exams until I was
    scoring in the 800s). This seemed to work - passed the exam with 816 and had
    20 minutes left to review my answers.

    Reflection: Well, I am certainly not going to pretend that I am an expert
    in this stuff. However, I learned a lot - even though the learning is more
    broad than it may be deep.

    When I flunked the SQL exam, I had a dark moment of the soul and was tempted
    to go the TestKing braindump route. I am so glad that I did not! Although
    time was a factor, the real reason I failed that exam was that I did not
    understand certain aspects (especially indexing and optimization) well
    enough. Contrary to what some others say, I believe that the Transcenders
    actually helped me learn better (with heavy use of BOL), and were not simply
    "teach the test" tools.

    One last comment - if you are taking these exams in the Norfolk VA area, I
    would recommend that you not go to TCC. I found that noise in the test lab
    was very distracting. I took tha last exam at the AT&T Govt Solutions center
    and found the atmosphere to be much more condicive.

    Well, wish me luck in the job search. Gee, won't I look swell with my shiny
    MCAD laped pin buttoned on my newly pressed suit ;-)

    Good luck,

    Matt West
    MCAD
    Matt West, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Matt West

    Matt West Guest

    D'Oh! Please read "duck tape" as "duct tape" and "3.21" as "4.21".

    -mw
    Matt West, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Matt West

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?= <>
    say in news::

    > Matt, first and foremost, congrats.
    >
    > Hope you don't mind, I've cross-posted this reply to
    > microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse as it's rare to find someone tempted
    > to use br@indumps, yet resists the temptation and is grateful
    > afterwards. Way to go.

    well, you (M)CAD, you. Lining up directly behind Fris to offer a congrats
    from me too. And thank you for not using dumps...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Macintosh....an "Etch-a Sketch" You Don't Have to Shake.
    Neil, Feb 22, 2005
  4. Matt West

    LnkWizard Guest

    "Frisbee®" <> wrote in message
    > Matt, first and foremost, congrats.
    >
    > Hope you don't mind, I've cross-posted this reply to
    > microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse as it's rare to find someone tempted to

    use
    > br@indumps, yet resists the temptation and is grateful afterwards. Way to
    > go.
    >
    > Matt West wrote:

    <sorry had to snip here>

    > > When I flunked the SQL exam, I had a dark moment of the soul and was
    > > tempted to go the TestKing braindump route. I am so glad that I did
    > > not! Although time was a factor, the real reason I failed that exam
    > > was that I did not understand certain aspects (especially indexing
    > > and optimization) well enough. Contrary to what some others say, I
    > > believe that the Transcenders actually helped me learn better (with
    > > heavy use of BOL), and were not simply "teach the test" tools.

    <and some other snippage here>

    > > Matt West
    > > MCAD

    > --
    > Fris "Another success story" bee®, MCNGP #13
    >
    > The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    > http://www.mcngp.com
    >
    > Certaholics

    I am going to jump in here also and say Congrats and thank-you
    very much for avoiding the br@indump route. You have much
    to be proud off.

    Be careful where you show off the MCAD pin, you might get your
    suit very wrinkled trying to fight off the babes.

    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

    http://www.mcngp.com
    LnkWizard, Feb 22, 2005
  5. Matt West

    Wayne Guest

    Awesome mate! Good to see knowledge, hard work and determination get someone
    through the certification. You've earned it, go geek-out some babes :)

    --

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
    of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the
    masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"
    - Dennis (sometime in the middle ages)

    Wayne, Feb 23, 2005